Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is SWG a factor for the Dev Team?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Is SWG a factor for the Dev Team?

mattgyver
03.09.2012 , 05:59 PM | #11
Good points, but I am thinking that there has been no info on this topic from those guys. I only ask because I keep seeing forum threads bringing up SWG and I wonder how it factors into:

Ongoing development of Space Game, Housing, World content, social activities, and Crafting

Tiek
03.09.2012 , 05:59 PM | #12
one can only hope that swg and soe are complete non-factors when it comes to swtor development. the only things swg offer are purely cosmetic.

** aside from JTL **

mattgyver
03.09.2012 , 06:03 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Tiek View Post
one can only hope that swg and soe are complete non-factors when it comes to swtor development. the only things swg offer are purely cosmetic.

** aside from JTL **
I don't agree with this, wouldn't even the mistakes be a source of learning. Granted there are other games to look at, but a portion of the population who are vocal (post) seem to use that game as the yardstick in many ways. Plus it's the same IP

IIII-IIII-IIII
03.09.2012 , 06:06 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Hidalgo View Post
SOE makes good games, which is why people still play eq1.
That has very little to do with SoE and much more to do with building on the foundation Verant built. The game took a dramatic hit after SoE took over from Verant similarly to the experience many people had with SWG/SoE take over.

In fact, SoE/EQ is now offering (after countless years of pleading from the fan base) Time Locked Progression Servers that, not surprisingly, are from the pre-SoE era.

SoE is garbage for MMOs.
Operative Iron Citadel
Infiltration, Manipulation, Assassination

Bojanglez
03.09.2012 , 06:15 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by mattgyver View Post
Good points, but I am thinking that there has been no info on this topic from those guys. I only ask because I keep seeing forum threads bringing up SWG and I wonder how it factors into:

Ongoing development of Space Game, Housing, World content, social activities, and Crafting
Even as a long-time SWG fan (was there on day 1, hated the NGE, etc, etc), I don't really understand why you're beating this dead horse?

This game is NOTHING like SWG, so far they have taken NOTHING (in terms of features of gameplay) from SWG, and frankly, given what "a failure" SWG is perceived as, they will most likely include NOTHING from SWG.

But you want a dev post because you're hoping that they'll turn this game (or elements thereof) into a game that, again, is perceived to be a failure? Or you want to hear exactly how much they are influenced by a game that's NOTHING like this one?

Let it go. BW isn't SOE, SWTOR isn't SWG and no matter what the devs here thought of it, it's dead and gone.

Let it go.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bojanglez
Formerly Grendel of the LOST (Gorath)

johnduane
03.09.2012 , 06:22 PM | #16
The only thing adapted from the Galaxies days are the draconian forums which have always been a feature at Lucas Arts. Check out their forums sometime. Slightest infractions can get you banned from everything, including the games themselves.

Newsinz
03.09.2012 , 06:26 PM | #17
I don't think he is saying it is like SWG lol. What I think he is saying is do games like SWG influence other games. "LA is/was involved in both games... Im just curious if they think about SWG and its mechanics while making this game?" That's not what he said but its a question... I think the OP was just making more of a generalized statement of curiosity.

But I could be completely wrong?

Celuwen
03.09.2012 , 06:30 PM | #18
This is a BW game, so the focus is on story and companions; it's what they're good at and what they know. That they are branching out to MMOs is probably more about EA, than BW.

I do think that to appeal to the casual gamer (which seems to be their ideal), they should implement some sort of ship decorating. I adored the house decorating in EQ2 - I didn't play SWG but I've heard great things about their housing system.

I also think a Lotro style cosmetic system would appeal to the market they are trying to attract.

Bojanglez
03.09.2012 , 06:33 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Newsinz View Post
I don't think he is saying it is like SWG lol. What I think he is saying is do games like SWG influence other games. "LA is/was involved in both games... Im just curious if they think about SWG and its mechanics while making this game?" That's not what he said but its a question... I think the OP was just making more of a generalized statement of curiosity.

But I could be completely wrong?
No, i think you're completely right, it just seems pointless dead-horse bashing. I took it that he's asking what the current devs thought of SWG and how it might have influenced them. The answer to part two seems pretty apparent (ie, Not at all) and part one seems redundant.

And really, does anyone believe ex-SWG dev will post here with anything about the old game?

Meh, sorry if I appear to be harsh but, again, even as a devoted SWG player, these threads seem to be so redundant and pointless.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bojanglez
Formerly Grendel of the LOST (Gorath)

theninthlife
03.09.2012 , 06:34 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by kaboro View Post
From the immense pool of ideas that SWG offered, not a single one was used in SWTOR.....i dont understand what you wondering about.
A better question would be what is the attitude towards wow and rift, because swtor tried to replicate those two games, not swg.
Much as i hate this fact, i cant blame them, swg didnt do well, while rift and wow seem to be doing fine.....sadly.
SWG didnt do well because of the way SOE treated its paying customers. Not because of lack of content.

I understand the avoidance of SWG on large part but discarding the entire game as whole is akin to throwing out the baby along with the bath water.

so many good ideas....lost forever