Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is SWG a factor for the Dev Team?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Is SWG a factor for the Dev Team?

mattgyver
03.09.2012 , 05:35 PM | #1
I find myself wondering:
What is the atttude toward SWG at Bioware?

- Do they view it as a viable source of ideas for SWTOR?

OR

- Is there is an attitude of disdain for the late Star Wars sandbox and its fans?

Does anyone have any actual information about this? Opinions are good too but I really want to know if anyone has heard anything from those guys on this topic.

EDIT: If you came here just to bash SWG and the fact I started a thrad on it in the SWTOR forums, can you just start your own thread please.

cbowsin
03.09.2012 , 05:38 PM | #2
Seeing how few of the Devs for SWTOR were also Devs for SWG and that LA were involved with both games, that they have all the experience they need from that game to make this game the one they want to make.
Yoda: I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience.

kaboro
03.09.2012 , 05:43 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by mattgyver View Post
I find myself wondering:
What is the atttude toward SWG at Bioware?

- Do they view it as a viable source of ideas for SWTOR?

OR

- Is there is an attitude of disdain for the late Star Wars sandbox and its fans?

Does anyone have any actual information about this? Opinions are good too but I really want to know if anyone has heard anything from those guys on this topic.
From the immense pool of ideas that SWG offered, not a single one was used in SWTOR.....i dont understand what you wondering about.
A better question would be what is the attitude towards wow and rift, because swtor tried to replicate those two games, not swg.
Much as i hate this fact, i cant blame them, swg didnt do well, while rift and wow seem to be doing fine.....sadly.

mattgyver
03.09.2012 , 05:45 PM | #4
I was unaware of that, I mean it makes sense that the professional community would overlap in employment. Anyone know if those guys said anything about my question?

mattgyver
03.09.2012 , 05:46 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by kaboro View Post
From the immense pool of ideas that SWG offered, not a single one was used in SWTOR.....i dont understand what you wondering about.
A better question would be what is the attitude towards wow and rift, because swtor tried to replicate those two games, not swg.
Much as i hate this fact, i cant blame them, swg didnt do well, while rift and wow seem to be doing fine.....sadly.
I see what you mean, but do you think there could be an NGE like mistake for SWTOR? Without NGE SWG might have had a different outcome.

IIII-IIII-IIII
03.09.2012 , 05:49 PM | #6
This isn't an isolated incident. It's an issue that spans across the entire industry, not just SWTOR.

So long as theme park MMOs are banking, the trend isn't going anywhere...anytime soon.
Operative Iron Citadel
Infiltration, Manipulation, Assassination

ikinai
03.09.2012 , 05:50 PM | #7
SWG? What's that; Swinging With Gorillas?
I'll tell you what, then. Why don't you call me some time when you have no class?
--Rodney Dangerfield Back to School
Is this referral mic on? It's free stuff and stuff, in game.

Sarfux
03.09.2012 , 05:52 PM | #8
I see what you mean, but do you think there could be an NGE like mistake for SWTOR? Without NGE SWG might have had a different outcome.

Umm...this is BioWare dude...

that was sony online entertainment...they SUCK

so no. There will NEVER be something like nge.
Always be who you are, not what the galaxy wants you to be

Mentor System

SWTOR: Out On the Horizon

mattgyver
03.09.2012 , 05:53 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarfux View Post

Umm...this is BioWare dude...

that was sony online entertainment...they SUCK

so no. There will NEVER be something like nge.
lol thank goodness

Hidalgo
03.09.2012 , 05:56 PM | #10
lol thank goodness
NGE was issued by LA. SOE makes good games, which is why people still play eq1. but when the owner of the franchise says **edit** where you eat or you wont eat any more, appearntly you gotta do it.
I used to play on Sunrunner, but then ... now i play on Prophecy of the Five.
SAIL!
Prophecy of The five Forums
Blame it on my A.D.D. baby...