Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR vs SWG

Tower
02.25.2012 , 12:49 PM | #21
I played SWG from publish3 all the way thru the NGE, and even then I stuck around for awhile after I lost all my friends due to the NGE. Kept my account active long after the NGE and would log in at times for the hell of it. I endured the hologrind to unlock my Jedi (unlocked on my 31 profession mastery a day before pub9 which stopped the hologrind) and was also a 9 time ace (3 rep 3 Imperlai 3 neutral). With that being said, I played the HECK out of SWG and I enjoyed pretty much every moment of it. I loved the free roam style you had, and the control you had. Mixing professions along the way, the countless hours spend on crafting, the countless hours doing nothing but visiting the player run and built towns etc. It was so easy to get immersed in doing...nothing and having fun doing it. Theres another thread about swg vs this in terms of crafting somewhere also that I replied to and also posted on.

ToR itself, if a pretty fun game. Took me a week to get to 50 from first wave of early release, and im also Legacy level 34 (yes I have alot of time on my hands at the moment). ToR in itself is part of the new "age" of Mmos, similiar to WoW. Kill x amount of this and that, and basically you have to follow a story line where as SWG was pretty much "do whatever you want, use your imagination, create your own story", which I loved and will miss dearly. There is NO comparison between this and SWG. This is a modern wow. Gamers now a days do not like to spend countless hours crafting or getting good at something, they like the instant gratification that games like this and WoW bring. In SWG you actually had to work hard at something and spend those countless hours/days/weeks to get good at your profession. Sure you had to level up by taking missions from the terminals but once you mastered what YOU wanted to, the game was wide open for you to do anything you want (unlike this where you hit 50, run flashpoints and ops) then what? Ops can be cleared in 2 days maybe 3, and the other 4?

SWG relied on the player to make the game fun for himself. How many people here who played SWG can honestly tell me that one thing they dont miss..is the social aspect that SWG had like the special events in towns (player coordinated), and all that?

SWG catered to people who like to do what they want, when they want, and left it WIDE open for people to create their own stories. WoW and Tor seem to cater to those gamers with ADD who dont like hard work and want purples NOW NOW NOW, but they also cater to the super casual gamers...parents and so on, who do not have the time or patience to spend those countless hours needed to master something.

SeanC
02.25.2012 , 01:03 PM | #22
The sad thing is if the nge was properly tested and wasn't thrown out like it was, it would probably play like this game or would be similar to what this game offers. If you took out most of the features that were created pre-nge, you pretty much have the same game.

mefit
02.25.2012 , 01:06 PM | #23
How do you compare a game that didn't do good to one that is?

TOR
Highest sales of any MMO !
Cost the Most to make out of every MMO !
Has 4X the Active player Base than SWG ever had !
Has more competition to compete with than SWG ever had

SWG
Crappy Graphics even compared to its fellow MMOs of its time
Final Fantasy 11 and WoW are still going and with a larger community tha SWG ever had to date!
SWG was brought down because its player base was not enough to continue it .....plan and simple

If SWG had a community of active players worth keeping it up , it would still be playable. It didn't because most the MMO community found it too be simply a DEAD game with nothing worth to note.

NO MMO designer has ever said that SWG brought anything worth mimicing , but yet you can see WoW , Lineage II . FInalFantasy 11 in alot of interviews with MMO creators .
SWG SUCKED ! Sandbox of no life , is not worth having !

Master-Nala
02.25.2012 , 01:09 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
The sad thing is if the nge was properly tested and wasn't thrown out like it was, it would probably play like this game or would be similar to what this game offers. If you took out most of the features that were created pre-nge, you pretty much have the same game.
This. NGE was LucasArts forcing SOE to try and make a game that people wanted to play. They screwed it up both from a community relations perspective and mechanically. So they turned to people who understood what Star Wars was about to make the MMORPG.

SWG sucked. I was there the day that it launched, I came back after NGE to see if anything changed, and have checked back in periodically when they reactivated my account. It sucked every time. I'm sorry the game is gone. I think that was a crappy thing for LucasArts to do. I can recognize that people who love SWG would like to have some of those features here because they have no other place to go for their Star Wars MMO fix.

But this game isn't that. It's a high fantasy, high story, themepark. Despite the haters, it succeeded on what they wanted it to be. Once they have time to add more content and features it's going to be better than ever.

SeanC
02.25.2012 , 01:43 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Nala View Post
This. NGE was LucasArts forcing SOE to try and make a game that people wanted to play. They screwed it up both from a community relations perspective and mechanically. So they turned to people who understood what Star Wars was about to make the MMORPG.

SWG sucked. I was there the day that it launched, I came back after NGE to see if anything changed, and have checked back in periodically when they reactivated my account. It sucked every time. I'm sorry the game is gone. I think that was a crappy thing for LucasArts to do. I can recognize that people who love SWG would like to have some of those features here because they have no other place to go for their Star Wars MMO fix.

But this game isn't that. It's a high fantasy, high story, themepark. Despite the haters, it succeeded on what they wanted it to be. Once they have time to add more content and features it's going to be better than ever.
I completely agree with you. most people fail to realize what nge was trying to accomplish and it was this game.

Ergecrs
02.25.2012 , 02:19 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by PeacefulViolence View Post
Finally someone with some sense posted here, damn Biodrone defense force is trying to ruin what could be a great discussion.
Did either of you play the same SWG I played ? hrmmi belive my first quest was on tsarni station go to mine and kill X . I land on Tat Quest for speeder. Go pick up these parts at this waypoint click and come back. Fast Forward to legacy Jabba's place go kill X and Y and come back ! Hey lets do Heroics ok Go kill IG88 X times for this many tokens along with 3 other instances to get one peice of heroic jewlry and you can only do it once a day. Hrmm ok.

Lets try pvp in swg goto restuss. Goto rep/imp base pick up pvp quest kill 5 imp players kill 20 npcs and destroy antenna wow omg that is soooooo original.

OMG NO WAY Invasions goto city invasion craft X and Y for defenses then omg wait for it here it comes something new and never done before yes its Kill X and Y to win the invasion.

All NGE thats all I played from about 04-10 ! But lets see pre-nge go kill random spawns X and Y for hours to get skill points train and go back and kill more. grind random classes for jedi doing what ? Killing X and Y random spawns ? Oh ya.

Now tell me how any of that is different then this game ? Oh wait you can randomly roam around in swg more then you can on this game. Oh dont forget decorating lol. Crafting yes I give swg crafting it was great Seriously. You could monopolize entire spawns that happend once every year and screw new crafters.

Sorry take the rose colored glasses off and see swg for what it was !

jarjarloves
02.25.2012 , 02:49 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by PeacefulViolence View Post
That's kinda like saying if the vast majority enjoys Lady Gaga, other genres of music just don't work, therefore shouldn't exist, you can play your dumbed down MMO, i will wait for something revolutionary.
you're asking for a very specific game though. Sure they will eventually make another sandbox MMO but it won't be SWG 2.

It's like saying I really like the 1980s Maddona I want 1980s Maddona back. That will never happen but you will get new artists such as Lady Gaga and others who are similar but different.

If you really want the next generation of Sandbox MMOs then go play Darkfall or Second Life.

psysention
02.25.2012 , 02:53 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by KhealThar View Post
SWG2 is never coming out, forget about that game. It wasn't good and that's why it isn't alive anymore.

Just because you personally enjoy a style of game, doesn't mean the vast majority of mmo players do.

You just have to accept that a sandbox MMO doesn't work, especially when the vast majority of players started with World of Warcraft.
i guess thats why people still playing Ultima Online???

do you have any idea what real mmorpg players want?

Ergecrs
02.25.2012 , 02:56 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by psysention View Post

Well WOW...to be honest do you ? WoW seems to be doing very well.....After all this is a buisness and going strictly by the numbers it would appear people want something along the lines of that.....Once again just going strictly by numbers.

This is a swg vs swtor thread so going by the numbers subs and box sets sold aswell it would appear people wanted this game much more. Seeing as their were 1.7 million active subs and I do belive they said that was after the free month.

SeanC
02.25.2012 , 03:13 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by psysention View Post

I somewhat agree with the point your trying to make, but don't you feel that if most of mmo players wanted crafting like swg, player housing, decorating, that they would be in most MMOs? The majority of players who want those features are the minority. Its pretty simple.