Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR vs SWG

superflymonkey
02.25.2012 , 10:30 AM | #11
I miss some elements of SWG, primarily the crafting. The majority of gear was player created, I liked having houses that were completely customizable (as was their location).

I dislike this "loot economy" that SWTOR seems to have. I guess, though, that given the current mode of thinking for MMOs it was probably inevitable. People don't want to have to think any more than they did in WOW. I had a roaring architecture business on Bloodfin server that was actually more fun to run than the combat characters I had.

In terms of story or the actual combat system, though, I vastly prefer what Bioware is using over SWG.

WindywaIker
02.25.2012 , 10:32 AM | #12
Some more stuff to add

In SWG you could craft and do nothing else and still play for HOURS.
Even just running a city you can be there for hours.

I didn't play WoW very much but i guarantee every class here has the same class over there.
Disciples Of Darkness
Chilastra

CapWinterz
02.25.2012 , 10:43 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by PeacefulViolence View Post
Finally someone with some sense posted here, damn Biodrone defense force is trying to ruin what could be a great discussion.
So what because people are disagreeing with what you have said, they are mindless fanboy drones?

I will admit i never played SWG but from what i saw it was not my cup of tea, some people liked it, some people didn't, just like everything in life, there will always be those that prefer different things, makes us unique, You're disappointed that this isn't SWG i get it, You liked the game and you wish it was polished and more up to date in a way, i understand it i think the same things about all the old games i used to play.

But if SWG was a massive success from a buisness point of view they would have either kept it around or made SWG2 but they didn't they choose to make something completely opposite so others could enjoy it.

Think of it this way, they made SWG and it catered to certain people, others were "I want this toy more" so they thought to themself "They have had a toy long enough and these people want one, lets give them it instead"
Mandatory Referral link aswell as FAQ.

pnthrzero
02.25.2012 , 10:45 AM | #14
Think about it, which mmo have you played that did not have you kill so many _____ or gather so many _____.

Heck, even looking for 1 item you might have to kill 30+ people.

I played SWG for about 6 months, while I enjoyed what little time I was there it just seemed for me to get boring so I moved along.

If you don't enjoy your time here there are a lot of other mmo's to try or goto find one that you enjoy, no one is making you play a game you are not happy with, also keep in mind even World of Warcraft was not perfect out of the box, they have had 6+years to get where they are this game has had 3 months.

Enfuri
02.25.2012 , 11:37 AM | #15
KOTOR 1 and 2 were story based games. Its really really really easy to see how this game was developed based on those. You know, because SWTOR is so story driven.

If you hate SWTOR because it is not a sandbox game then you didnt pay much attention to the development of the game. Its like saying "Diablo 3 sucks because it is not a first person shooter. Why could Blizzard not give us a first person shooter?"

You can only judge a game based on what it is, not what you assumed or hoped it would be. Especially when you hope that it is something that the developers clearly stated early in the development cycle that it would not be.

PeacefulViolence
02.25.2012 , 11:52 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Enfuri View Post
KOTOR 1 and 2 were story based games. Its really really really easy to see how this game was developed based on those. You know, because SWTOR is so story driven.

If you hate SWTOR because it is not a sandbox game then you didnt pay much attention to the development of the game. Its like saying "Diablo 3 sucks because it is not a first person shooter. Why could Blizzard not give us a first person shooter?"

You can only judge a game based on what it is, not what you assumed or hoped it would be. Especially when you hope that it is something that the developers clearly stated early in the development cycle that it would not be.
SWTOR is story driven yes, but there was more than that which made KOTOR a great game, they completely took everything else that made KOTOR away and just said "We have the class quests, this should be good enough." To say this game is a WoW clone is a poor choice of words, this is basically a clone of everything that has come before it, only it feels incomplete, feature wise and also overall it was like Bioware had a huge grand vision on how to make this game truly stand out from the competition, but then they just stopped and settled with just voice acting, i dunno what happened, but this game feels like it was meant to be much more than this, like an aritst that has an idea in his head, he wants to paint a huge city, buildings all that, but he only ends up painting a few skyscrapers, what you are left with is a disappointing portrait, in this case, MMO.

Rahak
02.25.2012 , 11:57 AM | #17
Aside from Star Wars, they have nothing in common.

Enfuri
02.25.2012 , 12:04 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by PeacefulViolence View Post
SWTOR is story driven yes, but there was more than that which made KOTOR a great game, they completely took everything else that made KOTOR away and just said "We have the class quests, this should be good enough." To say this game is a WoW clone is a poor choice of words, this is basically a clone of everything that has come before it, only it feels incomplete, feature wise and also overall it was like Bioware had a huge grand vision on how to make this game truly stand out from the competition, but then they just stopped and settled with just voice acting, i dunno what happened, but this game feels like it was meant to be much more than this, like an aritst that has an idea in his head, he wants to paint a huge city, buildings all that, but he only ends up painting a few skyscrapers, what you are left with is a disappointing portrait, in this case, MMO.
The game was likely rushed out because the fan base was crying so much because the game was not out yet. On top of that it is an MMO and you cant expect any MMO to be fantastic and have all its features right out the box. Did you know SWG took something like 6 months after launch to introduce mounts to the game?

MMOs on launch will NEVER have all the bells and whistles that a game thats been out for 2, 3, 5, or 7 years has. They are actually putting in stuff pretty quickly all things considering and by the time this game is 1 year old it will have grown a lot from where it started.

And yes KOTOR was ALL about the story. The gameplay was fine and built off of previous bioware games based on d20 systems but the story made that game stand out and made it considered one of the best RPG's.

People like to say WoW clone but its more than a WoW clone. Its an evolution of RPG based gaming look at games like bioware's Baulder's Gate and Baulder's Gate 2 or Neverwinter Nights and you will notice that the games control style is not far removed. Especially from Neverwinter Nights. Neverwinter Nights came out 2 years before WoW. All games evolve based on other games in the industry and based on the previous work inside a company.

Geewiz
02.25.2012 , 12:06 PM | #19
I really wish swtor had combined the sandbox elements of swg into their wow clone. Imagine having a galaxy in the star wars universe that worked like EVE, along with the WoW type gameplay you see on planets.

The economy would be sandbox, making everything useful... it just stupifies me why they didnt do this.

Get the players with the WoW clone game play and SW lore, keep them playing with the complexity of the EVE universe.

Enfuri
02.25.2012 , 12:15 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Geewiz View Post
I really wish swtor had combined the sandbox elements of swg into their wow clone. Imagine having a galaxy in the star wars universe that worked like EVE, along with the WoW type gameplay you see on planets.

The economy would be sandbox, making everything useful... it just stupifies me why they didnt do this.

Get the players with the WoW clone game play and SW lore, keep them playing with the complexity of the EVE universe.
They'd just have to make sure to avoid putting in the learning curve that EVE has, that pushes a lot of people away.