Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR vs SWG

PeacefulViolence
02.25.2012 , 08:01 AM | #1
Which of the two do you like more and why? Personally i don't understand how you can go from KOTOR 1 and 2 to this, (from what i hear there are some devs that worked on KOTOR on the SWTOR team) i understand those were single player games, but a 2012 MMO to feel like a 2005 MMO or whatever is just plain embarassing, it's the year 2012, get with the times "Bioware" or whoever you are.

With that being said, i would like it if this game was more sandbox style like SWG and had populated worlds where NPC's would roam around, the KOTOR games felt rich with life, this game just feel completely dead, everything in this game looks like an abandoned movie set. Makes me sad, I feel like in the hands of another company this game probably would have been better in at least one aspect.

Catch_TwentyTwo
02.25.2012 , 08:04 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by PeacefulViolence View Post
Which of the two do you like more and why? Personally i don't understand how you can go from KOTOR 1 and 2 to this, (from what i hear there are some devs that worked on KOTOR on the SWTOR team) i understand those were single player games, but a 2012 MMO to feel like a 2005 MMO or whatever is just plain embarassing, it's the year 2012, get with the times "Bioware" or whoever you are.

With that being said, i would like it if this game was more sandbox style like SWG and had populated worlds where NPC's would roam around, the KOTOR games felt rich with life, these games just feel completely dead, everything in this game looks like an abandoned movie set. Makes me sad, I feel like in the hands of another company this game probably would have been better in at least one aspect.
I was an avid SWG player for 7 years, but given the lack of development on the game in terms of graphics immersion, I would not go back if SOE opened the game again for free!

To me SWTOR is pretty much everything I would have expected from a SWG 2, with the minor addition of the KOTOR style UI.
CATCH TwentyTwo

SW:TOR FORUM REVIEW PLAYLISTLATEST VIDEO
(Be original: Post a comment about how fat I am, or my lisp, but keep it civil...)

PeacefulViolence
02.25.2012 , 08:14 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Catch_TwentyTwo View Post
I was an avid SWG player for 7 years, but given the lack of development on the game in terms of graphics immersion, I would not go back if SOE opened the game again for free!

To me SWTOR is pretty much everything I would have expected from a SWG 2, with the minor addition of the KOTOR style UI.
What if SWG 2 came out, and it was sandbox 2.0, basically redefining the way sandbox games work, ship, city, lightsaber creation is all still there, but expanded, sort of like EVE Online, the amount of freedom players have in that game is just out of this world, if they made a SWG 2 game with similar features i would play it in a heartbeat, i already wish this game was more like SWG and an SWG 2 would be a dream come true for me.

KhealThar
02.25.2012 , 08:27 AM | #4
SWG2 is never coming out, forget about that game. It wasn't good and that's why it isn't alive anymore.

Just because you personally enjoy a style of game, doesn't mean the vast majority of mmo players do.

You just have to accept that a sandbox MMO doesn't work, especially when the vast majority of players started with World of Warcraft.
Those who beg for mercy are too weak to deserve it.

PeacefulViolence
02.25.2012 , 08:38 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by KhealThar View Post
SWG2 is never coming out, forget about that game. It wasn't good and that's why it isn't alive anymore.

Just because you personally enjoy a style of game, doesn't mean the vast majority of mmo players do.

You just have to accept that a sandbox MMO doesn't work, especially when the vast majority of players started with World of Warcraft.
That's kinda like saying if the vast majority enjoys Lady Gaga, other genres of music just don't work, therefore shouldn't exist, you can play your dumbed down MMO, i will wait for something revolutionary.

muzzle_flash
02.25.2012 , 08:42 AM | #6
I was thinking about this over the last while.. All the people who pumped the boards with "This isnt swg 2.0 now leave..." might just be wishing it wasnt true anymore

Master-Nala
02.25.2012 , 10:04 AM | #7
With that being said, i would like it if this game was more sandbox style like SWG and had populated worlds where NPC's would roam around, .
It's against the rules to call posters, trolls or to deem a thread trolling, so I'll just point out that there are NPCs roaming about on nearly every world. Some places like Nar Shaddaa have hundreds.

AidanLightwalker
02.25.2012 , 10:15 AM | #8

With that being said, i would like it if this game was more sandbox style like SWG and had populated worlds where NPC's would roam around, the KOTOR games felt rich with life, this game just feel completely dead, everything in this game looks like an abandoned movie set. Makes me sad, I feel like in the hands of another company this game probably would have been better in at least one aspect.
I played SWG for years, lived through the NGE, (wish I wouldn't have thou) and this game is way better in my opinion.

Sandbox didn't make the game good, there wasplenty of areas, planets in SWG that where dead. Who cares if you could speeder around the planets for hours? Nothing there, is nothing there. Especially in the end when all you saw was DEAD player cities. Can't build, can't harvest, nothing because of people who took up real estate and left.

Graphics in that game where horrible. No animations for dual wielding, and lack of polish.

I don't know how you can say that KoToR was rich with life and this game isn't. Did you even play KoToR? Cause KoToR was nothing like SWG, I was playing both of them during that time period and prayed every day that Bioware would create and KoToR MMO so that Galaxies would just die. Cause SWG was that bad.

Yeah I said it, it needed to be said. It was bad. And so many of us stuck it out because we wanted to play a Star Wars MMO and remembered what the game was. BUT even in SWG glory days, I still think this game is better.
Even the smallest of light sources can light up the darkness.
Nyren - Combat Sentinel Ewenn - Shield Vanguard
Kyrenn - Scoundrel SawbonesSyrenn - Telekinetics Sage

WindywaIker
02.25.2012 , 10:21 AM | #9
This game is just a WoW clone with lightsabers and voices. It makes you do the same exact thing as WoW

Kill 6 Jedi/Gnomes
Slow the horde/republic advance stop ________

Besides the main story theres not an actual story anywhere else. Its always the same Kill # of these, Loot # of these. Exactly like WoW. Crafting is also a bunch of crap.

I tried to craft in SWG and i was horrible, but it definitely took effort, skill and alot to understand how to be a good crafter. SWG was also more social than any other MMO and that definitely brings more "Star Wars Immersion" then kill # jedi because ____.
Disciples Of Darkness
Chilastra

PeacefulViolence
02.25.2012 , 10:24 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by WindywaIker View Post
This game is just a WoW clone with lightsabers and voices. It makes you do the same exact thing as WoW

Kill 6 Jedi/Gnomes
Slow the horde/republic advance stop ________

Besides the main story theres not an actual story anywhere else. Its always the same Kill # of these, Loot # of these. Exactly like WoW. Crafting is also a bunch of crap.

I tried to craft in SWG and i was horrible, but it definitely took effort, skill and alot to understand how to be a good crafter. SWG was also more social than any other MMO and that definitely brings more "Star Wars Immersion" then kill # jedi because ____.
Finally someone with some sense posted here, damn Biodrone defense force is trying to ruin what could be a great discussion.