Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Marriage and kids?


SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
05.25.2013 , 07:00 AM | #221
Quote: Originally Posted by Xeperi View Post
Half-Elf is a totally legit sub-race in DnD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-el...ns_%26_Dragons)

The age of consent thing/creepiness is ridiculous. When a member of a species reaches adulthood (for that species) in a game, it should be portrayed as an adult (according to the cultural standards of the majority of swtor players. Aka 18+.

Think about it. What of demi-gods? They exist all through DnD (and mythology as well) as the off-spring of a god and a human. The myths are replete with tales of humans mating with gods. GODS. As in eternal or at least being that live many thousands of years. But despite being a student of mythology, I have never once read or even heard of a discussion where anyone brought up the "age difference". II have never heard anyone say, "Wow, Zeus was ancient when he begot Perseus on DanaŽ who was a mere human adult, perhaps thousands of years younger...."
Easier said than done. People are stupid. Look at players on TERA who couldn't bother to read lore that they were a hundred years old.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Bytemite's Avatar


Bytemite
05.25.2013 , 09:21 AM | #222
Oh, actually that angle totally existed with Zeus. You realize that many of those stories rose to popularity when pederasty in Ancient Greece started being endorsed by the big famous philosophers? Pederasty was kind of a thing in Greece already, but when this happened whole cults of pederasty sprang up with these stories at their center.

Dallayna's Avatar


Dallayna
05.25.2013 , 01:21 PM | #223
Quote: Originally Posted by Xeperi View Post
Half-Elf is a totally legit sub-race in DnD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-el...ns_%26_Dragons)

The age of consent thing/creepiness is ridiculous. When a member of a species reaches adulthood (for that species) in a game, it should be portrayed as an adult (according to the cultural standards of the majority of swtor players. Aka 18+.

Think about it. What of demi-gods? They exist all through DnD (and mythology as well) as the off-spring of a god and a human. The myths are replete with tales of humans mating with gods. GODS. As in eternal or at least being that live many thousands of years. But despite being a student of mythology, I have never once read or even heard of a discussion where anyone brought up the "age difference". II have never heard anyone say, "Wow, Zeus was ancient when he begot Perseus on DanaŽ who was a mere human adult, perhaps thousands of years younger...."
Frankly? I'll admit it. I, personally, was more grossed out by the whole "goat thing" to even to notice age!

But, even still, you make my point for me: while as an individual it might actually make me think twice if I was ever in a "RL" situation like that (dating a Chiss), the truth of the matter is that, when it comes to relationships- you need to go by your partner's species norms and not your own. But, there are also, always going to be people who either won't or just can't.

So, for me? the 10 year old Chiss is getting my digits but the 50 year old Elf gets a teddy bear. But, I know me enough to know that it might take me a moment to realize that's the appropriate response so, I'm not going to get all stressed and wacked out if some other human responds differently is all I'm saying.

Xeperi's Avatar


Xeperi
05.25.2013 , 06:18 PM | #224
Quote: Originally Posted by Bytemite View Post
Oh, actually that angle totally existed with Zeus. You realize that many of those stories rose to popularity when pederasty in Ancient Greece started being endorsed by the big famous philosophers? Pederasty was kind of a thing in Greece already, but when this happened whole cults of pederasty sprang up with these stories at their center.
Pederastry in ancient greece had to do with what (at the time) was a socially accepted means of mentorship between an adult male and a pre-adult male. I don't see what this has to do with ancient gods conceiving children with relatively MUCH younger human adults of the opposite gender.

Not sure I want to fathom the mind that outputs pederastry from an input of demigods.

Xeperi's Avatar


Xeperi
05.25.2013 , 06:28 PM | #225
Quote: Originally Posted by Dallayna View Post
Frankly? I'll admit it. I, personally, was more grossed out by the whole "goat thing" to even to notice age!

But, even still, you make my point for me: while as an individual it might actually make me think twice if I was ever in a "RL" situation like that (dating a Chiss), the truth of the matter is that, when it comes to relationships- you need to go by your partner's species norms and not your own. But, there are also, always going to be people who either won't or just can't.

So, for me? the 10 year old Chiss is getting my digits but the 50 year old Elf gets a teddy bear. But, I know me enough to know that it might take me a moment to realize that's the appropriate response so, I'm not going to get all stressed and wacked out if some other human responds differently is all I'm saying.
That is interesting. I know how crass this sounds but when my 3 year old rottweiler (who is 21 in 'dog years', well into the adult phase of its species) grinds on my leg (its form of ************, its just what dogs do) I am not grossed out because the dog is 3, I am grossed out because it is a dog. If it were a 3/21 adult Xepholaxian humanoid female from Pluto and happened to be especially hot, I might even encourage it. Likewise, the 10,000 year old Klytobanian from planet x that is 30 in 'human years' and likewise well into the age of adulthood is also going to get the same encouragement.

I just don't see what the big deal is.

Dallayna's Avatar


Dallayna
05.26.2013 , 01:41 AM | #226
Quote: Originally Posted by Xeperi View Post

I just don't see what the big deal is.
Because.

See- no matter how you slice it or try to justify the simple truth remains that there are just some harms that can never and will never be "healed." There are just some things that will mess someone up beyond all recognition for all time and it does not matter why that harm was done- it is done and that is the full extent of it.

Needless to say that, understanding that molestation is, flat-out, one of those things means that those of us that are actually Light in RL means that sometimes, every once in a while means that we have to actually stop and think when it comes to romantic entanglements ("sex") because, I don't know about you but I sooooo do not want to be the person who does that to anyone!!!!

And. That would be the "Big Deal."

Xeperi's Avatar


Xeperi
05.26.2013 , 02:44 AM | #227
Quote: Originally Posted by Dallayna View Post
Because.

See- no matter how you slice it or try to justify the simple truth remains that there are just some harms that can never and will never be "healed." There are just some things that will mess someone up beyond all recognition for all time and it does not matter why that harm was done- it is done and that is the full extent of it.

Needless to say that, understanding that molestation is, flat-out, one of those things means that those of us that are actually Light in RL means that sometimes, every once in a while means that we have to actually stop and think when it comes to romantic entanglements ("sex") because, I don't know about you but I sooooo do not want to be the person who does that to anyone!!!!

And. That would be the "Big Deal."
Again, it makes no sense to me how consensual romantic relations between adults can in any way be interpreted as "molestation". No slicing there, and no deal bigger than what is made of it.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
05.26.2013 , 07:08 AM | #228
Quote: Originally Posted by Dallayna View Post
Because.

See- no matter how you slice it or try to justify the simple truth remains that there are just some harms that can never and will never be "healed." There are just some things that will mess someone up beyond all recognition for all time and it does not matter why that harm was done- it is done and that is the full extent of it.

Needless to say that, understanding that molestation is, flat-out, one of those things means that those of us that are actually Light in RL means that sometimes, every once in a while means that we have to actually stop and think when it comes to romantic entanglements ("sex") because, I don't know about you but I sooooo do not want to be the person who does that to anyone!!!!

And. That would be the "Big Deal."
I'd say it's rather simple...

Can the person go to war without hearing the phrase "You're to young to enlist as a soldier!"

10 year old Chiss can! Pretty sure a 50 year old Elf can too, as while they're considered teens, I think when off in the real world, they're basically considered adults, but then I think Elves just have lots of different takes on them, so I could be wrong.

Face it, generally, you don't allow such minor children to get involved in war, unless of course, it's Naruto.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Bytemite's Avatar


Bytemite
05.26.2013 , 10:25 AM | #229
Quote: Originally Posted by Xeperi View Post
Pederastry in ancient greece had to do with what (at the time) was a socially accepted means of mentorship between an adult male and a pre-adult male. I don't see what this has to do with ancient gods conceiving children with relatively MUCH younger human adults of the opposite gender.

Not sure I want to fathom the mind that outputs pederastry from an input of demigods.
Not sure what that last line is supposed to mean... An insult?

Look up Zeus and Ganymede. Zeus and pedarastry were connected, and it was used as a religious justification for the mentorship system you just mentioned.

You used Zeus as an example of age differences between gods and mortals in mythology getting a brush off, and I mentioned a true fact that Zeus is a really bad example for your argument. These stories emphasize the age differences - though they present them as an ideal, in opposition to our modern value systems.

So far the conversation has been about age differences in romantic relationships in general, and not specifically about conception with very young humans - I'm not even sure where that came from, or why you would think my counter-argument against the Zeus example is outside the scope of the discussion.

In any case there is no reason to make whatever personal allegation that was that you added at the end. However, if you don't want to fathom my point of view, that is fine and understandable, as I'm not sure I want to understand what you're accusing me of. I will again leave it at that.

Dallayna's Avatar


Dallayna
05.26.2013 , 01:50 PM | #230
Quote: Originally Posted by Xeperi View Post
Again, it makes no sense to me how consensual romantic relations between adults can in any way be interpreted as "molestation". No slicing there, and no deal bigger than what is made of it.
Yes. It is between two adults. If you have been reading my previous posts, you would know that I agree that it is.

However.

I can also understand that some people are just so creeped by the the thought of it not being between adults- even in the hypothetical that they just would not or could not accept that 10 year old Chiss as being an adult to them. Call it erring on the side of caution to the point of almost silliness- but, I still have to admit that I understand that viewpoint is coming from their adherence to decency and respect as according to our norms so, I can hardly look down on them for having that point of view.