Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The reasons why all the melee classes need a serious love

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
The reasons why all the melee classes need a serious love

Logisitcs
02.16.2012 , 02:06 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Sykomyke View Post
Ranged classes not only have the better abilities, but do higher damage as well. (See Commandos/Mercenaries).

Tell me why again was a ranged class given heavy armor, shields, armor reduction abilities, the ability to self heal, knockbacks, and high damage?
QFT! Sents/Maras do not get anywhere near the amount of utility, defense and escape options Mercs/Comms get, and were in freaking Medium Armor.

Were pulled into fire, pushed off walkways and into acid, stunned for 20 seconds because resolve is broken and we have nothing to defend ourselves with except some ****** 1 min CD! It's getting exhausting

hadoken
02.16.2012 , 02:42 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Logisitcs View Post
QFT! Sents/Maras do not get anywhere near the amount of utility, defense and escape options Mercs/Comms get, and were in freaking Medium Armor.
Good lord someone actually believes this? What level is your sentinel/marauder, 10?

Trimsic
02.16.2012 , 06:14 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Compher View Post
With the exception of Master Strike/the marauder equivalent, it would seem as though melee can do their full DPS while moving, and ranged can't.

Just pointing that out.
This is not completely true: assault spec vanguard and commando (and their mirror classes) can deal a huge amount of damage while moving.
Guild leader Millenium Old School
Serveur Hrakert Rift, république.

Trimsic
02.16.2012 , 06:31 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Daekarus View Post
If they do as you all suggest for the sake of balancing pvp, balance for PvE will be shot. You will be obligated to roll a melee class if you wish to run FPs or Operations. They will have to do a pvp-specific change in order to keep things even.
I understand the meaning of your remark. But actually, there are solutions like those that have been put in place in Rift. For instance, the damage output of some spells in PvE do not scale the same way in PvP.

Trimsic
02.16.2012 , 06:47 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by stephenjohnp View Post
I would have agreed before, but melee classes are really good. They don't quite match up with the Over-powered Mercs/Sorcs of the SWTOR world, but they are fantastic.
It's true that the melee classes are fun to play. But they are not that efficient. Think about the incoming ranking system.

Trimsic
02.16.2012 , 07:02 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Donnadarco View Post
Put this in the PVP thread instead. You dont mention 1 single PVE disadvantage being mele ?

This s just a huge complain about Crowd control in PVP.
You are right. This is the reason why I've added a fourth reason relative to the PvE.

Aetou
02.16.2012 , 07:06 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Daekarus View Post
If they do as you all suggest for the sake of balancing pvp, balance for PvE will be shot. You will be obligated to roll a melee class if you wish to run FPs or Operations. They will have to do a pvp-specific change in order to keep things even.
Except PVE balance between Melee and Ranged is also screwed for the reasons others have already mentioned. Having to spend half your time running out of melee range of a boss, getting hit by melee AOEs, etc., etc., means that many guilds are asking for ranged dps for operations as it generates much higher overall dps.

It isn't just a PVP issue. Ranged currently beats Melee in both PVE and PVP. Increasing Melee's damage and survivability by a moderate amount (perhaps in the region of 10%) would go a long way towards evening the playing field.

(For the record, I have 2 Melee (Scoundrel, Guardian) and 2 Ranged (Powertech, Sorceror) characters and I find playing the ranged characters absurdly easy by comparison in terms of how I can be more effective while working half as hard.)

DarthNorik
02.16.2012 , 07:45 PM | #28
I agree 100% with this post. I can't even count how many times I've seen. LFM HM EV/KP, Range DPS only.
Peace is a lie, rejected by all our natural instincts.

lolomgwtfpwnd
08.02.2012 , 12:43 AM | #29
... if they gave melee classes (knights and warriors) a speed boost with immunity to immobilization and a decent duration it would help.would be even better if they actually allowed the following of melee targets like all other mmo's in the world do. if you used the skill at the right time you could focus on damage instead of dragging your stupid mouse all over the place just trying to face the right way, and for at least a few seconds the range classes would not be able to keep their distance.
lets face it, the fact that ranged classes get automatically aimed at their targets no matter which way you look, while melee classes have to actually face their targets, is pretty stupid. when you consider that on top of the fact that knights/warriors have no defense against cc besides interrupts, they have to time the one thing that they do have perfectly, and it only works against one person. some random ranged class can just cc you at a distance and you will never see it coming, especially in mass pk.
also, i know for a fact that sentinels/marauders have certain combo's that they need to get off in order to do any sort of damage. focusing on keeping dot's on a target, or trying to keep the proc's from a stance going are not exactly easy even in a 1v1 situation. not renewing the abilities takes them off of your opponent , and in some cases there isnt much time to do it. that's all fine except that one knock-back, stun, root, or anything else can completely remove all of the stacks from your enemy by giving them time to run, or just lasting long enough for the status to wear off. if lets say, a sith marauder is stunned in the middle of a ravage(happens a lot as its a long channel) he can use unleash to get out of it, but by then whatever effects were debuffing his opponent would be gone and ravage would be on cd. melee classes are completely ineffective if any ranged player is paying attention.
last problem id like to point out is the fact that knights/warriors have to build rage. every other type of class starts out with full whatever (force or whatever the hell the gun classes have). an operative can sit back and spam his skills without worrying about building up to the good ones. bounty hunters can spam as many rockets as they want and on top of that, use a skill to release "heat" from their gun. knights/warriors have 2 skills that build a good amount of rage(one skill gives 3 rage one gives 6), but if they use them on somebody and their combo is interrupted, it leaves them high and dry with no cc to speak of and a few useless abilities to activate while they pray they don't die trying to build more rage. other classes can use all of their skills when they want, but for some reason the only class that seems to be without a heal, is also without the ability to use all of their skills when they need them.

anyways that's just me complaining, doubt any of this will ever be fixed so looks like im not playing my melee chars again.

Justcae
08.02.2012 , 01:41 AM | #30
If you believe in any way shape or form that Melee classes are getting shorted in this game please hook me up with your dealer and I'll thank you later.

I feel like I should back up this stance with some form of data, but I'm legitimately stunned that people can even feel this way. When I looked at the thread, and saw that most posts were several months old, I figured it was just that changes in the game had not been dealt with. Because without a doubt, currently, melee is the cats meow.

Melee has better mobility, survivability, and burst damage(Though Gunslinger/Sniper have very respectable burst).

The -only- fight that favours range to any degree would be T&Z. Which has a single mechanic that range can avoid, and melee would have to actually be aware of.

Honestly, if you are having any problems as a melee in the game currently, re-think your current thoughts on your class because you are doing something so very very wrong.