Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Scoundrel's Underworld Guide to PVP Healing

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Scoundrel / Operative
Scoundrel's Underworld Guide to PVP Healing

Chestnut_Bowl
03.01.2012 , 10:40 AM | #21
How viable is War vet now that DoTs will no longer interrupt caps?

Omeleet
03.02.2012 , 04:47 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Chestnut_Bowl View Post
How viable is War vet now that DoTs will no longer interrupt caps?
Sorry I have been trying to log in to talk about this, Google Chrome doesn't seem to like this site anymore.

If DoTs no longer prevent caps, the spec will become nothing more than a novelty, because the extra energy is unnecessary. You would be better off playing an Ops Healing or Max Single Target tree.

Shrap Bomb could still be useful for pressuring the enemy but it also has draw backs like breaking many forms of CC. I don't think its pressure output is high enough to justify using it. I have a feeling that Kolto Cloud, and as a result Diagnostic Scan, are going to become more useful in 1.2, especially as BM gear becomes more readily available to people who just WZ. The War Vet build though has lost its primary focus, this makes it a far less appealing choice.

Houdani
03.03.2012 , 02:22 PM | #23
Just what the doctor ordered. I'm about to become roadkill on Ilum because I haven't engaged in any PVP content prior to hitting level 50. So hopefully this guide will allow me to find my sea legs a little faster.

Omeleet
03.17.2012 , 01:32 AM | #24
Updated with theory craft for 1.2. Reevaluated the War Vet build for team play in 1.2.

I restructured the list of talents, with the most useful trees (in coordinated team play) at the top of the list.

KKTrooper
03.17.2012 , 10:59 AM | #25
Thanks for the guide!!
brotip #1052
have priorities, dude. your game will be there when you come back. your girl might not.

LordZym
03.21.2012 , 09:28 AM | #26
Heyo quick questin which you may have already heard. I Just switched over from full dps to healer as we need a few more healers in guild and i fancied a change. In et as a healer how do you beat the assassin/marauder challenge.....?

Omeleet
03.22.2012 , 02:46 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by LordZym View Post
Heyo quick questin which you may have already heard. I Just switched over from full dps to healer as we need a few more healers in guild and i fancied a change. In et as a healer how do you beat the assassin/marauder challenge.....?
There seems to be a common misconception that you are supposed to fight people 1v1 as a healer. It is better to tag-along with a tank or a group of players.

If you find yourself stuck in 1v1 guarding a node here is what you do:

Find a big object to run circles around, for instance, the nodes in Alderaan are great Line of Sight devices.

Constantly break LoS by running around this object.

Pre 1.2 Guide:
Pugnacity active.
SRMP fully stacked on yourself, refresh below 1/3 duration remaining.
Triage on CD particularly against Marauders in PRE 1.2 circumstances. Until 1.2 the 20% healing debuff is cleansable and most Marauders are Annihilation, the dot spec.
If Triage is talented try to keep it on CD it heals for 1k+ instantly and is energy neutral.
Below 30% health spam EMP.
Emergency Medpac below 80% health if you have 2 stacks of UH.
Defense Screen if energy is below 90 and you have a free GCD
Blaster Whip for UH stacks.
Use Diagnostic Scan to waste their interrupts
If Diagnostic Scan is interrupted, you can choose to UWM (experienced players will save their stuns for this so if you are low be prepared to pop your cc breaker)
If you are interrupted and stunned against a marauder they can interrupt you again if they are Annihilation so you have to be aware.
Save your cc breaker for full resolve/below 50% health.
Dirty Kick when you fall below 50%. (Tendon Blast after and run far away)
Flash Bang when you fall below 50% and Dirty Kick is on CD.
Use Disappearing Act to relocate and continue healing others as necessary or to buy time on a node.
Against inexperienced players Tendon Blast is acceptable for kiting.

If the Assassin is tank spec'd you aren't going to kill them. If the marauder is Annihilation spec you aren't going to kill them. So call out for help.

Post 1.2 Guide:
Pugnacity active.
SRMP fully stacked on yourself, refresh below 1/3 duration remaining.
Triage on CD in 1.2 marauders will be more likely to roll as Carnage or Rage, making this less useful against them
If Triage is talented try to keep it on CD it heals for 1k+ instantly and is energy neutral.
Kolto Cloud on CD when you have GREATER than 86 energy and are below 80% health and the above conditions are all met
Below 30% health spam EMP.
Emergency Medpac below 80% health if you have 2 or more stacks of UH.
Defense Screen if energy is below 90 and you have a free GCD
Blaster Whip for UH stacks.
Use Diagnostic Scan to waste their interrupts and regain energy
If Diagnostic Scan is interrupted, you can choose to UWM (experienced players will save their stuns for this so if you are low be prepared to pop your cc breaker)
If you are interrupted and stunned against a marauder they can interrupt you again if they are Annihilation so you have to be aware, consider using Diagnostic Scan since it casts faster and will return energy.
Save your cc breaker for full resolve/below 50% health (avoid using it on root effects).
Dirty Kick when you fall below 50%. (Tendon Blast after and run far away)
Flash Bang when you fall below 50% and Dirty Kick is on CD.
Use Disappearing Act to relocate and continue healing others as necessary or to buy time on a node.
Against inexperienced players Tendon Blast is an acceptable tool for kiting.

Carnage spec marauders will have a PLETHORA of rooting abilities. Be aware that kiting them will become an almost impossible job post 1.2, also since the 20% healing debuff will be uncleansable in 1.2 it will be more useful to have a tank guarding you.

Just so you all know, I haven't been as active lately, so my knowledge is beginning to reach a point where it will be outdated and at best an educated guess. I have no plans to resub due to personal reasons. I would be elated if someone would continue the guide, provided they are dedicated to it and have good insight. PM me if you are interested.

system_effect
03.27.2012 , 07:13 PM | #28
Good stuff here. I play a spec very similar to the Pugilist spec you put here (Pre-1.2 hybrid) for PVP and enjoy it very much. It sacrifices a bit of healing from your spec for increased stealth and damage from Sucker Punch, which I use a bit more often than you recommend. It is a very well rounded spec and makes you a valuable part of any warzone team.

While I do not break 300k healing often (outside of Voidstar), the increased sneaking ability and damage output come in handy. The Sneaky talent in the Scrapper tree is great for ninja capping nodes/doors while also helping with the Scoundrel's poor mobility. In Alderaan, I am able to solo defend nodes with a combination of LOSing, healing and vanish. In 1v1 cases, I am usually able to defeat opponents (though it might take time) due to increased damage.

You mention in one of your comments that the best heals are the ones you don't have to make. I agree with this 100% and that's one of the reason I roll hybrid for PVP. There are many times when helping focus down a target is more valuable than sitting there healing, especially if your target is a healer. Also I have been in many warzones where we simply have too much healing and not enough damage. In these situations I can DPS full time, and even though I am not as effective as a DPS spec'd Scoundrel, I can still hold my own enough to make a contribution.

I think it's important to reiterate that while healing Scoundrels will never be able to out-heal or out-DPS a Sage/Sorc straight up, the class offers a lot of utility that is valuable in warzones, though most of it goes unnoticed. The ability to stealth, ninja cap, solo defend nodes and more might not show up in the post-match stats, but will go a long way in helping your team win, which is the most important thing.

Sad to see you will be leaving the game and unable to update this guide. I will send you a PM about taking over if you haven't found anyone to do so yet. Also, anyone who is interested in healing with a Scoundrel, I have a YouTube video which goes over the basics of the class (link in signature).

Again, thanks for the info. Good stuff!
New to Scoundrel Healing? Watch my Introduction to Scoundrel Healing Video!

Omeleet
03.29.2012 , 05:17 AM | #29
I am passing the guide off to system_effect for 1.2. He is free to use the contents therein however he pleases and is not obligated to give me any credit for any of it, though credit is always appreciated.

Take care fellow scoundrels, happy healing.

pellib
04.24.2012 , 03:02 AM | #30
Thanks a lot for the guide, very helpful ! I've been playing stealth/dps classes since the birth of MMO and was surprised to see a stealthy healer so I decided to try healing out. I was very confused at first but after reading your guide and trying to follow your findings I truly enjoy my role as a healer.

Thanks