Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

64 bit client

Facadas
02.10.2012 , 07:42 AM | #1
Hello,

Maybe this has been suggested already i didn't find it on search so here it goes!

Are there any plans for a 64 bit client? The reason why i'm asking this is, SWTOR requires a huge amount of RAM (more then what a 32 bit application may use), and that's why there is always 2 processes running.

What could be the advantages?
- People with 64 bit Operating Systems (i'm one of them), could use their full memory without additional tricks!
- The game it self would be faster, since it wouldn't need those 2 process and underling communication mechanisms.

With the growing demands of games, 64 bit clients must be used whenever possible! Failing to do so is putting a serious stop to permanence and scalability of a game (or any other application).

Now i know this is no small thing, depending on how you do it, it can be hard or very hard so that's why i asked if this is even being considered (it should though).

Lordie
02.10.2012 , 07:45 AM | #2
I'm up for that!
Not that running TOR is slow at my end, but I don't say no to more speed if possible =)

Facadas
02.10.2012 , 10:33 AM | #3
bumped for greater justice!

Mike_Sierra
02.10.2012 , 10:47 AM | #4
hoorah! For justice!

Cyprax
02.10.2012 , 11:27 AM | #5
I also agree this is needed. 3GB memory max is no longer accpetable in the computing world. Plan for 64bit as a standard soon.

piethief
02.10.2012 , 11:36 AM | #6
Steam Hardware Survey

I know the Steam hardware survey is a little biased towards higher end machines, after all anybody who has Steam installed probably has an above average PC to play games, but it does show an interesting trend.

Windows 7 64 has far outsold 32 by a factor of 4:1. In fact there are more instances of 64 bit OS' than 32 now.

I'm just pointing this out to suggest that 64bit exes are the future, and there would be a significant number of people who would benefit from this.

Deathmond
02.10.2012 , 11:45 AM | #7
i`m up too!

irtsuki
02.11.2012 , 06:37 PM | #8
bump...do it!

Raximillian
02.11.2012 , 06:39 PM | #9
As a 64-bit user running mostly 32-bit s/w, I would be up for this. I know it won't happen, the resource cost to get that done would be tremendous, but it would be nice to see.

Facadas
02.13.2012 , 03:24 AM | #10
I was hopping this would get a response from a CM but guess not.

I seriously hope this is in their minds cause 32bits is a thing of the past.

And like i said before, the hardness of doing this greatly depends on how the original code is done, not going to discuss that part here seriously not worth it