Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Episode 1: 3D

Tarfang
02.10.2012 , 01:51 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by LiquidHayter View Post
During Amidala's Senate hearing, The Chancellor seems to be on her side, until Mas Amedda (the blue alien with horns that sticks around for Palpatines terms, and becomes part of the Imperial council after the rise of the Empire) whispers in his ear and then he totally decides pretty much, "Eff you, Amidala." We will settle this another day, and yada yada yada. I think this was actually done to show that he was in fact under bureaucrats power. After this, he also let the Trade Federation Representative speak over her through their objections, which two minutes prior would not. And thats when they asked more or less, for evidence, in which, amazingly, she had none.... Why she didnt show the little hologram of Sio Bibble i do not know..

I didnt post it, but i, too, have always thought why a Trade Federation would profit over a blockade that bans trading... How would that profit a Trade Federation??
He was under the bureaucrats power not because he was in their pockets but because he was, as Palpatine said, mired by baseless accusations of corruption. His being mired in this case meant he was unable to act on his own initiative, his powers having been curtailed because of the accusations against him.

I was never quite sure on this, but I've always leaned toward the opinion that the Sio Bibble hologram was a forgery rather than a false plea for help under threat of violence.

It didn't profit them, and you can see their trepidation at various points throughout the film. I thought it was pretty obvious that they did what they did both because they were terrified of Sidious and they figured it would work out better for them in the end when they would get Amidala to sign the planet's resources, essentially the planet itself, over to them.
Lorn Vega - Gunslinger - Hydian Way

NaimiIflya
02.10.2012 , 02:05 PM | #22
Do Jedi, or better yet, anyone in the future, not mind the smell of burning flesh? Theres better ways to burn a body..
Funeral Pyre! Much more dramatic and good for Movies.
Larmonte Murho from Sanctum of the Exalted <Jedi Guardian>

Dirtnose
02.10.2012 , 04:07 PM | #23
Seriously, I genuinely don't understand the hate for the Midichlorian thing, someone please explain whats wrong with it.

joeakrazo
02.10.2012 , 05:07 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Dirtnose View Post
Seriously, I genuinely don't understand the hate for the Midichlorian thing, someone please explain whats wrong with it.
Religion vs. Science.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match..."

"The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together."

Sounds much better than, you got a rare blood disease.

Kharnis
02.10.2012 , 05:16 PM | #25
I have just returned from watching Episode 1 in 3D, and I am completely baffled at some of the major plot points, among other things. I watched the midnight premiere back in its original release, and as a kid, I enjoyed it... Of course I enjoyed it, its Star effin Wars. This doesnt mean however that you can have such a stupid plot line up the rest of the saga.

1) The biggest plot hole is the decision for a vote of "No Confidence" in the former Supreme Chancellor. If he was backed by greedy corporations or bureaucrats, then while the hell would Amidala's proposal even get acknowledged, let alone get accepted? That makes absolutely no sense.
He wasn't backed by the corporations or bureaucrats. The entire bureaucracy was actually running the show, as there were too many rules and procedures that had to be followed before anything can get done. Much like real life governments in western society today.

2) The whole midichlorian thing to explain the power of the Force.... I dont need to explain this, and if I do, you are on the wrong forum. Its dumb, pointless, and backwards.
Yes, actually, you do need to explain this. Midichlorians have not "demystified" the Force in any way. If anything, they've made the Force even more mysterious. If midichlorians are necessary for life, and the Force creates life, and life creates the Force, then what exactly are midichlorians? And how could life create the Force and the Force create life? Which came first?

3) As technologically advanced as this universe is... Why did no one believe Amidala during her Senate hearing that Naboo was actually invaded?? I guess this galaxy has no form of media whatsoever.
The entire world was under a communications blackout. She had no proof whatsoever, other than the word of two Jedi Knights; two Jedi who, I should point out, weren't supposed to be there in the first place, and thus their testimony could be dismissed by those who were allies of the Trade Federation. Assuming that they would even be allowed to testify, since their "evidence" would have been illegally obtained.

4) The whole Anakin blowing up a Trade Federation control ship is absurd...
Yes, it was. But not much more so than being able to shove a torpedo down a shaft that's two metres wide, a torpedo that seems to defy all of Newton's First Law.

5) The lack of an actual main character baffles me too. If anyone knows who the real main character is in Episode 1, please explain this to me.
Qui-Gon Jinn. Or did you think it was a co-incidence that he was in nearly every single scene in the movie?

Other gripes, be it small or big, I guess:

No Han Solo-ish type characters in the prequels. We get to see plenty of bounty hunters, but no daring, charming character.. Although I feel like young Obi-Wan was quite charming throughout, just not the same as Han is.

Do Jedi, or better yet, anyone in the future, not mind the smell of burning flesh? Theres better ways to burn a body..

I am not sure whether every cast member just did their absolute worse, or if the direction Lucas wanted were for cardboard acting... No one displays emotion.. I get the reason behind Jedi, as well as Queen Amidala, but Shmi? Padme? Especially Padme, through this character the Queen can say or show her emotions as she pleases. When C-3P0 shows more emotion than your actors.... Something may be wrong.

On the plus side:

Podracing!

Duel of the Fates!

Qui-Gon Jinn! = Liam Neeson

Natalie Portman!

::End gripes::
No Han Solo-type character in the movie is just a small gripe, as you said, and one I personally don't see how it would improve the movie in any way. Still, if one had've been added, I wouldn't have complained.

Who knows, maybe they had a small forcefield around the body so that the smell didn't choke everyone. This was something I had thought myself when I first saw Return of the Jedi, but I never did say anything, mostly due to not wanting people to think of me as a morbid lad.

As for the acting...well, the best I can say is the original trilogy didn't have the greatest acting either, and that it was no coincidence that Harrison Ford was the only one who went on to any kind of success immediately after the trilogy had run its course. But even I admit, this is really stretching as any kind of defence. It's obvious that most of the established actors in the prequels were just phoning in their performances.

Well, except for Ian McDiarmid, but he got to have a hell of a lot of fun chewing the scenery, so he doesn't count.
Proud member of "The Loose Canons" Cartel.
Fan Fics
Completed:
Ongoing:

thecordler
02.10.2012 , 10:05 PM | #26
I have just returned from watching Episode 1 in 3D, and I am completely baffled at some of the major plot points, among other things. I watched the midnight premiere back in its original release, and as a kid, I enjoyed it... Of course I enjoyed it, its Star effin Wars. This doesnt mean however that you can have such a stupid plot line up the rest of the saga.

1) The biggest plot hole is the decision for a vote of "No Confidence" in the former Supreme Chancellor. If he was backed by greedy corporations or bureaucrats, then while the hell would Amidala's proposal even get acknowledged, let alone get accepted? That makes absolutely no sense.

2) The whole midichlorian thing to explain the power of the Force.... I dont need to explain this, and if I do, you are on the wrong forum. Its dumb, pointless, and backwards.

3) As technologically advanced as this universe is... Why did no one believe Amidala during her Senate hearing that Naboo was actually invaded?? I guess this galaxy has no form of media whatsoever.

4) The whole Anakin blowing up a Trade Federation control ship is absurd...

5) The lack of an actual main character baffles me too. If anyone knows who the real main character is in Episode 1, please explain this to me.

Other gripes, be it small or big, I guess:

No Han Solo-ish type characters in the prequels. We get to see plenty of bounty hunters, but no daring, charming character.. Although I feel like young Obi-Wan was quite charming throughout, just not the same as Han is.

I am not sure whether every cast member just did their absolute worse, or if the direction Lucas wanted were for cardboard acting... No one displays emotion.. I get the reason behind Jedi, as well as Queen Amidala, but Shmi? Padme? Especially Padme, through this character the Queen can say or show her emotions as she pleases. When C-3P0 shows more emotion than your actors.... Something may be wrong.

On the plus side:

Podracing!

Duel of the Fates!

Qui-Gon Jinn! = Liam Neeson

Natalie Portman!

::End gripes::
1.First of all Chancellor Valorum was tied down, this was impled both by Palpatine and the opening crawl which stated he sent 2 jedi secretly to naboo as he couldn't get anything done in the senate, OPENING CRAWL STATES THIS. this implies that he has no control or is at the absolute point of being overturned by republic congress and that obviously the republic is no longer stable. Amidala saw this first hand, thanks to palpatine's manipulation and that being a Sovreign state, she can call upon a vote of no confidance in place of her senator, which leaves Palpatine as a clean candidate as he could argue he didn't think that valorum as corrupt blah blah blah, his queen called it.

2. the whole midichlorian not onced explained how the force itself works or why it exists only that midichlorians are the medium in all living things to have a symbiotic relation with the force itself. BINDS LIFE TO THE FORCE. Qui-gon even states that the FORCE created midichlorians so that life may commune with it, keeping the mystical force intact as it predates life and midichlorians and created both.

3. Again if you read the opening crawl, Naboo was being legally blockaded by the trade federation, obviously for violating trade laws. Notice at this point the trade federation calls in for many ships, and black out the comms of naboo, in a single day they conquer the place, and after the queen escapes they remove all but 1 ship so to appear that they aren't occupying naboo and that the queen bears no proof. The 2 jedi who were no authorized by the republic to investigate can't speak on her behalf as it would give fuel to fire that Valorum is corrupt and uses the jede like secret police. QUEUE palpatines line that it is believed that valorum is corrupt, but the accusations are baseless, however they do tie his hands down, so if it is revealed he sent 2 jedi illegally then those baseless accusations are now real.

4. Well honestly the trade ships weren't designed to facilitate a defensive structure, it is purely an offensive platform, so if a ship entered into its bay and shot out micro fusion warheads into a power generator specifically in the area designed to house and fuel warships, notice when anakin flies in you see dozens of the troop carriers that obiwan and quigon both leave on earlier, they are not small vessels. SO the destruction of these massive generators which are internal mind you would cause massive damage, its not rocket science, if you could get a f-16 missle inside the aircraft carrier itself where countless munitions are held do you think it would cause it to sink.

5. the movie has the same ensemble casting and pacing as episode 4, with an introduction into characters the first 20 mins, then focusing on a group of characters during the middle. Tell me when anyone became the main character specificallly in star wars eps 4, because Han steals lukes only solo limelight.

HollowVamp
02.10.2012 , 10:22 PM | #27
mediclorian count was spot on. umm, the beurocrats are not senators. and anakin is the main character. All 6 movies where designed around the life of anakin skywalker(stated in various commentaries by George Lucas himself.). the invasion... they disabled all communications, all that anyone knew was there was a blockade.
It's not the GREAT who are STRONG
It's the STRONG who are GREAT

Darth_Urtani
02.10.2012 , 10:53 PM | #28
Trying to make sense of the prequels is like trying to talk to the fanboys, impossible.
CE VIP

keiklo
02.10.2012 , 11:00 PM | #29
Not trying to be the bad Girl here, but if any part of this has caught my eye as a *** are you talking about comment its that Shooting a reactor wouldn't Destroy command ship, perhaps you weren't well educated but im pretty sure when a Nuclear Reactor fails THINGS BLOW THE HELL UP! Chernobyl anyone?
Keiklo ~ Sniper Kitila ~ Bounty Hunter Till'n ~ Jedi Knight
Scitcat ~ Trooper
Dark Ops HARBINGER COLLECTORS EDITION VIP

Kirasavior
02.10.2012 , 11:22 PM | #30
I sure hope you didn't go intending to see a different movie OP. I like how you're reviewing this as if the plot is any different than it was.
I have altered the deal, pray I do not alter it further...