Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanking

Yfelsung
12.13.2011 , 09:12 AM | #1
Anyone with extensive experience in beta, what is tanking like in SW:TOR?

Is it like most MMOs, does it have it's own unique feel to it?

I play tanks, it's what I do, and I want to prepare myself for what tanking will be like.
MHORDSUNG SOULGRINDER, LEGATUS OF PHOBOS LEGION

At the end of days the dragon stands tall and with limitless rage it illuminates all.

Buddydudeguy
12.13.2011 , 09:22 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Yfelsung View Post
Anyone with extensive experience in beta, what is tanking like in SW:TOR?

Is it like most MMOs, does it have it's own unique feel to it?

I play tanks, it's what I do, and I want to prepare myself for what tanking will be like.
Same ol' fun fun. Sith Assassin ftw! god I can't wait to get my teeth in.

Triiipledot
12.13.2011 , 10:33 AM | #3
Tank the boss, let the DPS take the adds. Same as every other MMO really.
Triple - Sith Juggernaut
Veela Server (EST PVP)
Member Of Dusk Till Dawn

Liathan
12.13.2011 , 01:25 PM | #4
you won't get any tanking abilities till around 16, so for the first instance don't waste your time looking for a tank.

Elicas
12.13.2011 , 02:10 PM | #5
Usually alot more non elite mobs than other games, which you can generally ignore. Tank the gold mob and throw out whatever aoe threat abilities you have, but if dps pulls a non elite mob onto them they can usually survive it easily.

From what I saw of the beta, it's alot less about faceroll AoE.
Elicas from Force Junkies and TankTelara! - Frostclaw EU PvE Elicas/Elikas/Rhovan
The Operative Guide
The Powertech Compendium
My Basic Tanking Guide

Meriki
12.13.2011 , 02:39 PM | #6
The biggest issue I have found is since everyone can fight/dps (to some extent) everyone seems to get a little over zealous and take the agro from the Tank. They should take adds, and go easy so whoever is tanking it can hold it in place.

Here's a guide I wrote on DDM's Realm for Jedi Knights and Sith Warriors. Also Bounty Hunters and Troopers can make good tanks if they switch to single target stuff to keep agro.
TOR Guides, videos, news, and information on DDMsRealm.com!
Play the Fyxt RPG for free as a standalone RPG or with your current RPG.

Pavo
12.13.2011 , 03:00 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Meriki View Post
The biggest issue I have found is since everyone can fight/dps (to some extent) everyone seems to get a little over zealous and take the agro from the Tank. They should take adds, and go easy so whoever is tanking it can hold it in place.

Here's a guide I wrote on DDM's Realm for Jedi Knights and Sith Warriors. Also Bounty Hunters and Troopers can make good tanks if they switch to single target stuff to keep agro.
Thank you for taking the time to write this up. It was informative and thorough. I enjoyed reading it and a few of your other write-ups.

Warbreaker
12.13.2011 , 03:05 PM | #8
I'm actually planning on being a Bounty Hunter tank so the write up will help tremendously in understanding how the class works.

I've done nothing but tanking for most of my MMO life, but it's always interesting when you introduce new mechanics. Thanks for the headsup.
9/29/11 -- Betagate.
Never forget.