Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Yojack build 2012 Trooper question and answer thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Trooper
Yojack build 2012 Trooper question and answer thread!

brbrainerd
12.13.2011 , 10:49 AM | #11
The Yojack build returns! I followed your build years ago as a WoW rogue. It's great to see you back.
Be true to your work, your word, and your friends.

Check out my popular Let's Play SWTOR series!

Yojack
12.13.2011 , 11:24 AM | #12
Im in early access....but im at work right now so more updates to follow tonight.
Yojack, once a dual warglaive wielding beta rogue of another time and space (WoW) now, reborn as a Vanguard!
The Bastion
Home of Yojack's Min/Max since 2004

ltprudii
12.13.2011 , 12:08 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Heezdedjim View Post
I see you have given in to the temptation of Gut. While it's not an impressive DPS ability, I have come to believe that its true value is as a buff for HIB, since moar DOTs = moar exposure to HIB. And the DOT lasts as long as the CD, I think, which means you can basically have HIB available on demand if you keep Gut running all the time.

I have a somewhat related question for you, which is: when it comes to Counter Attack, what do you think of it as a buff for Shield Cycler and Static Shield? When you look at the mitigation alone, it might not seem that impressive for 5 points, but how do you see it as a resource management + DPS buffing tool (moar ammo + moar Stockstrike seems like it might make the 5 points seem less extravagant).
Yes agree. Gut is only really good and even worth getting in Tactics builds, or a heavy DoT hybrid build with Assault (even then it is iffy).
The BrotherHood an Elite Trooper only Republic Unit
Staff Sergeant - Element: Titan Co, Null Squad
[Recruitment Thread]

fatduck
12.13.2011 , 12:15 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Yojack View Post
Im in early access....but im at work right now so more updates to follow tonight.
http://connectitall.net/cgi-bin/showthread.py?t=642630

an archived version of your previous thread. might be useful.

Titanium_Turtle
12.13.2011 , 12:15 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by ltprudii View Post
Yes agree. Gut is only really good and even worth getting in Tactics builds, or a heavy DoT hybrid build with Assault (even then it is iffy).
Like this one?
http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/...efef3e2f2e2fe:

Heezdedjim
12.13.2011 , 12:35 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Titanium_Turtle View Post
More like this one:

Teh Worst Vanguard PvP Build EVAR
http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/...fef2efef2e2f2:

boxey
12.13.2011 , 01:02 PM | #17
Yojack,

Very close to what I plan to build except for a few changes:

1) I would put 2 from Shield Cyclinder to Charge. My reason being this:

That little 2% chance to shield pales in comparison to escaping by targetting a distance enemy, jump over and sprint away. Plus, it works great in Hutt Ball.

Each tree has it's own defensive capibilities in the middle of the tree. Shield Spec is mostly dependent on shielding and armor, Tactics has Hold The Line & Battlefield training, however, our build ignores a lot of them.

2) I would put Static Field to Frontline Defense, it's debatable for a very small 2 second. But then, 4% of a white damage of say 400 is 16, or a 4k crit is 160.

Now, Riot Strike is on 8 seconds CD, reduced to 6 seconds, it's near spammable, and a caster killer. Classess like Sorc, Snipers, Healers will hate you when you lock them out for 4 seconds, and 2 seconds later, lock them out again. It's not a silence spell, just an interrupt for whatever they are casting, so your timing counts, but it is still OP imo.

Mozivicus
12.13.2011 , 01:22 PM | #18
yay, Yojack is back

UKViking
12.13.2011 , 03:08 PM | #19
Long time lurker here....

I'm planning on tanking.

I'm curious - every tanking build I see, including in the old thread and Yojack's 'new' spec, opt for the 2 points in improving stockstrike. Is it a serious threat generator, or to allow us to do some damage as a tank?

I appreciate this may be oversimplifying the game mechanics a little, but from what I gather, in SWTOR dmg = threat, with certain high threat options giving 1.5x the threat, healing 0.5x and certain 'stances' or buffs also granting 1.5x. If that's the case, why not change over the points in tactics and shield a bit more, e.g. enough to get energy blast (for the 1 energy cell)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GRGrdororzZMsr.1

or drop energy blast and add gut for the dot.

Not being a mathwiz on this, does stockstrike come up often enough to make it more valuable over longer boss fights? vs for example energy blast.

And I suppose I may be over thinking things but Stockstrike/Gut is kinetic dmg and energy blast is elemental. So would it not be better to have a greater mix of dmg types in the case of enemy resistances, the highest of which I would have thought would be kinetic (inherently down to armor of the mobs etc? correct me if I'm wrong on that please)?

I'm not saying the above is the build I would go for, I use it merely for the purposes of asking my questions.

Great thread before the wipe, and proving to be again now, thanks!

Heezdedjim
12.13.2011 , 03:25 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by UKViking View Post
I'm curious - every tanking build I see, including in the old thread and Yojack's 'new' spec, opt for the 2 points in improving stockstrike. Is it a serious threat generator, or to allow us to do some damage as a tank?
It's one of your three highest damage, most efficient primary attacks, ahead of High Impact Bolt in DPS and second only to HIB in efficiency (damage per ammo point). There's a reason you get it at level 2; it's one of your bread-and-butter damage dealing and threat generation abilities, and many talents are built around buffing it, procing it, or procing off of it, as you rise through the talent trees.