Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Hope for people having trouble with datacrons/platforming

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Hope for people having trouble with datacrons/platforming

JimG
02.06.2012 , 12:38 PM | #1
If you're a master at platform jumping, this thread is not for you...nothing to see here, please disperse, lol.

For those of you who suck at platforming jumping, there is hope. Until yesterday, I was one of the worst, if not THE worst, person in all of TOR at timing jumps and platforming for these datacrons. Watching others repeatedly pass by me as they got through the entire datacron jumping routes while I fell over and over got extremely frustrating....so much so that I delayed getting a lot of the datacrons.

Then, yesterday, I had a platforming epiphany and suddenly "got it". Probably the #1 reason I was having so much trouble is because I was standing too close to the edge of platforms when I was doing standing jumps. When I saw certain gaps, my thinking was I needed to be close to the edge when I was doing a standing jump in order to give me the best chance to reach the other side. That was sort of my intuitive feel for things as I haven't had much experience with platforming since the days of Pitfall and Donkey Kong on the Atari, lol. However, what I finally figured out through lots of trial and error (mostly error, lol) is that even though you are performing a "standing" jump, the game mechanics cause you to go forward slightly before you leave the ground. So what happens is you think you're about to perform a standing jump but, in reality, you end up falling off the edge before you get any verticality. I kept thinking I was mistiming my jumps with the keyboard by pressing forward slightly before pressing jump (instead of simultaneously) or not holding down the jump key long enough or some sort of other timing issue on my end. For example, when you have to jump from pipe to pipe, once I started standing at the back of the pipe for my standing jump instead of the front of the pipe and just trusting that I could make the distance of the jump, I had no problems making those jumps.

Once it clicked like this, I had a MUCH easier time getting to datacrons. I was able to get all 5 datacrons on Nar Shaddaa with only 2 falls combined and both were actually a case of me goofing on an easy jump and overshooting the landing and had nothing to do with the trickier jumps. By comparison, there were some datacrons before that where it had taken me 2 hours to get with repeated falls (and I mean LOTS of falls). The whole time I thought that I just sucked at timing my jumps, turns out I was just not positioning myself correctly to utilize the standing jump mechanism. Also, on the easier jumps that don't require much distance, I've found it's safer to actually jump first and then quickly try to inch forward once you've got some air so you don't overshoot the jumps. Sometimes you may want a slight jump and your guy can really get some air and overshoot a jump.

Anyways, just wanted to share this information with those of you who are having a lot of trouble with datacrons and platform jumping. Once it "clicks", it DOES get better! Keep hope alive! lol

Emeda
02.06.2012 , 12:48 PM | #2
So basically what you are saying is that you couldnt do it but after you kept failing you finally figured it out and succeeded at it?

That if you keep trying something you will eventually figure it out and get the prize that you were trying to get and actually get better at something in the game.

Grats maybe if more people tried they would also get better.

JimG
02.06.2012 , 04:44 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Emeda View Post
So basically what you are saying is that you couldnt do it but after you kept failing you finally figured it out and succeeded at it?

That if you keep trying something you will eventually figure it out and get the prize that you were trying to get and actually get better at something in the game.

Grats maybe if more people tried they would also get better.
Thanks! But you put a kind spin on it, lol. I would say that I didn't realize something that turned out to be very simple that was completely hindering my platforming ability. It was one of those "dohhhhhh" moments when I figured it out finally, haha. But I like your description better!

Sotaudi
02.06.2012 , 04:57 PM | #4
I am glad you are having success. I have found also, that for running jumps, I tend to need to start to jump a little sooner than I would have expected for similar reasons.

Another little tip that helps you not over-shoot things is to jump into something when you can. For instance, on Nar Shaddaa, you have to jump up a series of pipes that are perpendicular to your jumping direction. I see people trying to make the jump and falling because they over-shot the pipe or hit the ground (i.e, the pipe) running and couldn't stop before they fell. If you simply turn towards the wall and jump to the end of the pipe instead, you don't overshoot because your forward momentum is stopped by the wall. There are also some horizontal surfaces on the "fixture" where the pipe joins with the wall that you can land on that are not quite as high as the pipe itself, making the jump a bit easier.

Thus, jumping earlier (or further back as you indicate), jumping into things, and looking for smal protruding horizontal surfaces helps a lot in the whole process.
(██████████████)

United_Strafes
02.06.2012 , 05:02 PM | #5
People suck at jumping because the game sucks at jumping, enough said. Theres an undeniable delay. Basing datacron difficulty based on a mechanic that is broken is really stupid of them too.

Gulthaw
02.06.2012 , 05:13 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by United_Strafes View Post
People suck at jumping because the game sucks at jumping, enough said. Theres an undeniable delay. Basing datacron difficulty based on a mechanic that is broken is really stupid of them too.
QFT

I spent too many hours of my life for a +2 or a +3 because the game is just wrong.
Yes, people can do it. Congratulations!!
People also say they don't have lag or loading screens while my friggin new computer takes about 3 minutes to load a planet, and I updated drivers today... before it was more like 5 minutes.

That's what happens with PCs, every single one is different.

Screw the datacrons.
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici - Quis custodiet ipsos custodis
http://www.evil-wizards.org/swtor-wi...Jon%27naa_Keen (not finished yet)

bltzkrieg
02.06.2012 , 05:13 PM | #7
<To OP>

Am I a master of Platform jumping..........................NO! but I do have the ability to play them. The very thought of a Manifesto post complaining about the Data crons in this game has me ROTFLMAO.

Really even with the fact that the mouse/keyboard aspect of this game isn't very condusive to platform jumping, it still is an incrdibly EASY feat to gather the datacrons in the game. The actual challenge in the game is FINDING them not getting them and with the advent of the INTERNET, finding them isn't an issue. I have gathered EVERY datacron From ORD mantell through Alderan (level 41) and I didn't have a problem with getting any of them.

Just for the record it doesn't have anything to do with being a master platformer. That is just rediculous. Platformers are played on consoles for one thing and with game pads. So the entire argument is bogus from the start.

People need to stop complaining about not being able to complete something on the first try. Patience is a virtue for a reason.

Just like people who have no tolerance for wiping on instances these very same peeps are the ones crying about the datacrons.

The data crons are many things but the one thing that they aren't is : HARD TO GET.

nakahoma
02.06.2012 , 05:15 PM | #8
if the devs put as much effort in the rest of the game as they put in designing the datacron ******** they might have had a decent game on their hands.

Ituhata
02.06.2012 , 05:16 PM | #9
Latency plays alot into it.

Just fyi, After playing the datacron jumping game, I have gotten so good at rock climbing i can pretty much scale any mountain range in alderran and go where I want to.

Thunderslice
02.06.2012 , 05:19 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by bltzkrieg View Post
<To OP>

Am I a master of Platform jumping..........................NO! but I do have the ability to play them. The very thought of a Manifesto post complaining about the Data crons in this game has me ROTFLMAO.

Really even with the fact that the mouse/keyboard aspect of this game isn't very condusive to platform jumping, it still is an incrdibly EASY feat to gather the datacrons in the game. The actual challenge in the game is FINDING them not getting them and with the advent of the INTERNET, finding them isn't an issue. I have gathered EVERY datacron From ORD mantell through Alderan (level 41) and I didn't have a problem with getting any of them.

Just for the record it doesn't have anything to do with being a master platformer. That is just rediculous. Platformers are played on consoles for one thing and with game pads. So the entire argument is bogus from the start.

People need to stop complaining about not being able to complete something on the first try. Patience is a virtue for a reason.

Just like people who have no tolerance for wiping on instances these very same peeps are the ones crying about the datacrons.

The data crons are many things but the one thing that they aren't is : HARD TO GET.
QFT I also have no no issue getting the datacons, a few of them i had to try a few times, like the one on tattooine on the city roof tops, but none of them have been hard to get, Why does it seem that the average player in this game has no skill? i read so many cry baby complaints, maybe gaming is not for u
?