Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

*SOLUTION* NVIDIA BSOD/System Lock-Up/TDR/CTD *SOLUTION*

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
*SOLUTION* NVIDIA BSOD/System Lock-Up/TDR/CTD *SOLUTION*

NoSweat
02.05.2012 , 09:49 AM | #11
Still the same FPSdrops in WZ's though. . . .
No sweat, no tears, no guilt!

Jesseria
02.05.2012 , 12:23 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by NoSweat View Post
Still the same FPSdrops in WZ's though. . . .
Yes - I haven't noticed this drop as of yet; but hey at least you're not system crashing.

claughan
02.06.2012 , 06:48 AM | #13
Hello Jesseria

I could follow all your instructions for the fix until I got to number 9, I don't see anything to do with swtor in the drop down menu, Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

LanaBanana
02.06.2012 , 10:21 PM | #14
i have a nvidia gtx 295, and i followed the directions provided exactly. system locked up the first time after about 20 minutes, so i checked my settings and tried again. second lock up came after about 10 minutes. the only luck i have had has been from disabling sound. that worked for several hours one day, but then the lock ups started again.

i have never had a problem with any other game, so to say this is entirely a nvidia issue seems suspect to me.

i think i am done with pushing my luck with my system, but i hope this works for some of you!

ThisSithIsOld
02.07.2012 , 01:37 AM | #15
I have a 560 ti but I could not get this solution to work. Did you install the GeForce 295.51 Driver?

Aelflaed
02.07.2012 , 11:06 AM | #16
Do you take the beta drivers?

hochmeisterr
02.07.2012 , 11:10 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Jesseria View Post
I have been plagued with the BSOD/System Lock-Up/TDR/CTD error since January 4th. Finally, after a full month of playing with system settings, waiting for patches, and re-formatting my machine, I found a solution that actually works!

I am running an Nvidia 560 ti fermi - and I have only tested this on an nvidia system. I have tested this fix on a GTX 250 and a 560 ti fermi (friend of mine had the same problem). There appears to be a problem with the nvidia 3D Vision/Display drivers. Even if you are not using the 3D capabilities of the card, this causes an issue with the way the drivers instruct the card to render graphics.

To fix this problem, perform the following:
  1. Download the latest nVidia Drivers
  2. Launch the installation program, and select a Custom Installation
  3. De-Select any 3D Driver (You don't need them)
  4. Check the "Perform Clean Installation" Check Box
  5. Allow the drivers to install
  6. Right Click the Desktop, and open the nvidia control panel
  7. Under 3D Settings, select Manage 3D Settings
  8. From the Global Settings tab, select Power Management Mode and set it to Prefer Maximum Performance
  9. Open the Program Setting Tab and from the Program drop down menu, select the entry with the SWTOR icon (it should be affiliated with WRC 2 Fia World Rally 2011)
  10. Set Power Management Mode to Prefer Maximum Performance
  11. Set Antialiasing mode to Override any application setting
  12. Set Antilaliasing - Setting to 4x (or higher)
  13. Save all settings

This, effectively, removes the troublesome 3D drivers, ensures that your drivers are providing enough power (if you have a proper PSU installed) to your GPU, and forces nvidia to handle the anti-aliasing, as opposed to the game handling it.

This has resulted in lower graphics card temps, more stable GPU usage, flawless 60 FPS performance everywhere, and most importantly, eliminated any and all System Locks, BSODs, TDRs, and CTDs.

I've play tested this for 5 hours on both of my test machines. Success!!!!

Hopefully this helps the rest of you!
steps from 10 to 12 are just wack

why would anyone want to increase their AA settings thats just killing FPS
proud member of 5% Alienware m18x intel core i7 2860 QM 4.0 OC modded bios 8mb cache
2 two GTX580m SLI
16gb DDR3 1600 mhz 4dimms
illum fps <----- 20-40 warzones fps <--------40http://imageupload.org/?d=ECD2314C1

Trimethicon
02.07.2012 , 11:53 AM | #18
I'm an Nvidia user experiencing hard lock-ups, black screen freezing. Can anyone confirm if this fix addressed their issue(s)?
<The Obsidian Guard>
www.TheOlderGamers.com

hochmeisterr
02.07.2012 , 11:54 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Trimethicon View Post
I'm an Nvidia user experiencing hard lock-ups, black screen freezing. Can anyone confirm if this fix addressed their issue(s)?
yes it does just skyp step 10 to 12
proud member of 5% Alienware m18x intel core i7 2860 QM 4.0 OC modded bios 8mb cache
2 two GTX580m SLI
16gb DDR3 1600 mhz 4dimms
illum fps <----- 20-40 warzones fps <--------40http://imageupload.org/?d=ECD2314C1

Aelflaed
02.07.2012 , 11:56 AM | #20
Nope, didn't fix mine.

eta: found at least part of my issue. SSD needed a firmware update, & 2 days ago, I had *just* hit the threshold. So, with great hope, it may have little/nothing to do with SW. (mine is Crucial, MD-something, if anyone else has that)