Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Best thing about being a girl gamer!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help > Introductions
Best thing about being a girl gamer!

Atramar's Avatar


Atramar
10.31.2012 , 09:03 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by TrumpetNut View Post
Yep exactly. That, is why I play a male. People still figure out im a girl however.....
prodobly from gaming style.not to be sexist, but some times you just see that this toon is handled by a woman.
no offense
Tracer Legacy, The Red Eclipse.
Not reading colored text, it hurts my eyes. Sorry (unless it's a dev post)
L55:Sniper,Operative,Juggernaut,Assassin,Marauder, Powertech,Guardian,Commando,Scoundrel
to finish:Shadow(41),Sage(53),Merc(39). 29.07.2013

Icebergy's Avatar


Icebergy
10.31.2012 , 09:10 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
Well I am also a guy who uses female toons exclusively when playing MMOs. There are many reasons why, but one of the best is the assumption that I am in fact a woman. It usually happens when I talk about being a single parent and/or when I go afk randomly when my kids wanna play tickle monster. I don't correct them (except my guildmates), I just enjoy the show. They clean up their language, they don't talk guys stuff, they give me stuff, all that sort. The downside is getting stalkers, but that is easily handled with ignore. All in all it is an interesting social experiment and I have fun seeing what writers do with the female conversations. I usually give up on games that use cliche stereotypes.

So ladies, if you want to have a fun social experiment, make some male toons and do the same.
Its really sad that you think taking their stuff is OK. This attitude is a big reason why girl gamers sometimes get a negative stereotype...Its even worse since you aren't even a girl, makes you a liar also.
Unsubscribed due to no new Operations.
I am happy that there will be a renewed focus on story, I love story, its why I picked this MMO. But I picked an MMO, not an episodic single player RPG that I have to pay a subscription to receive the episodes.

Arkerus's Avatar


Arkerus
10.31.2012 , 04:55 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
Well I am also a guy who uses female toons exclusively when playing MMOs. There are many reasons why, but one of the best is the assumption that I am in fact a woman. It usually happens when I talk about being a single parent and/or when I go afk randomly when my kids wanna play tickle monster. I don't correct them (except my guildmates), I just enjoy the show. They clean up their language, they don't talk guys stuff, they give me stuff, all that sort. The downside is getting stalkers, but that is easily handled with ignore. All in all it is an interesting social experiment and I have fun seeing what writers do with the female conversations. I usually give up on games that use cliche stereotypes.

So ladies, if you want to have a fun social experiment, make some male toons and do the same.
Personally. I don't think that's cool at all. I also find it a bit weird. You can take a social experiment a little too far.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Thylbanus's Avatar


Thylbanus
10.31.2012 , 04:58 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
Its really sad that you think taking their stuff is OK. This attitude is a big reason why girl gamers sometimes get a negative stereotype...Its even worse since you aren't even a girl, makes you a liar also.
Uh oh. They got me. Sorry everyone, if you have toons that are the opposite sex you need to delete them an start new toons of the appropriate sex. Otherwise Icebergy will call you a phony. A big fat phony.
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Thylbanus's Avatar


Thylbanus
10.31.2012 , 05:41 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
Personally. I don't think that's cool at all. I also find it a bit weird. You can take a social experiment a little too far.
Just want to remind you:

This is a game

An online game at that. I conduct myself the same in every game. I don't change because there is a woman around. If you conduct yourself differently around a woman, then that is just sexist. If you are looking to make a connection with a woman in an online game, you are wookin pa nub in all da wong places.

Besides, MMOs are exacly the right place for a social experiment. The anonymity of the net lets people be themselves. I don't force anyone to act that way, they do it on their own. That is of interest to me. Social pressure at it's finest. It has been posited that MMOs are the best place for nascent AIs to learn how to interact with humans. That will be a MAJOR social experiment.

I don't have a problem with some people feeling wierd after I expose their hypocrisies. You never know who you are speaking to when you are on the net. Treat everyone the same and you woun't feel wierd or uncomfortable.
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Icebergy's Avatar


Icebergy
10.31.2012 , 05:47 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
Uh oh. They got me. Sorry everyone, if you have toons that are the opposite sex you need to delete them an start new toons of the appropriate sex. Otherwise Icebergy will call you a phony. A big fat phony.
Errm, thats not at all what I said, perhaps you need to reread my post.

I don't care if you play opposite gender characters, I did that myself in WoW because I liked the female models better and I didn't feel as connected to those characters as I do my SWTOR ones.

The fact that you are accepting gifts from people is where you are wrong. This makes you a bad person and no amount of spin can change that.
Unsubscribed due to no new Operations.
I am happy that there will be a renewed focus on story, I love story, its why I picked this MMO. But I picked an MMO, not an episodic single player RPG that I have to pay a subscription to receive the episodes.

Thylbanus's Avatar


Thylbanus
11.01.2012 , 02:28 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
Errm, thats not at all what I said, perhaps you need to reread my post.

I don't care if you play opposite gender characters, I did that myself in WoW because I liked the female models better and I didn't feel as connected to those characters as I do my SWTOR ones.

The fact that you are accepting gifts from people is where you are wrong. This makes you a bad person and no amount of spin can change that.
Then maybe you should re-read my post. I said they would give me gifts, I never said I accepted them. You assumed I did. You just proved my point about assuming.
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Arkerus's Avatar


Arkerus
11.01.2012 , 06:52 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
Just want to remind you:

This is a game

An online game at that. I conduct myself the same in every game. I don't change because there is a woman around. If you conduct yourself differently around a woman, then that is just sexist. If you are looking to make a connection with a woman in an online game, you are wookin pa nub in all da wong places.

Besides, MMOs are exacly the right place for a social experiment. The anonymity of the net lets people be themselves. I don't force anyone to act that way, they do it on their own. That is of interest to me. Social pressure at it's finest. It has been posited that MMOs are the best place for nascent AIs to learn how to interact with humans. That will be a MAJOR social experiment.

I don't have a problem with some people feeling wierd after I expose their hypocrisies. You never know who you are speaking to when you are on the net. Treat everyone the same and you woun't feel wierd or uncomfortable.
I think your whole approach is strange. Its not healthy. Sorry pal, just my opinion. I treat everyone I meet the same. I have no idea where you think I don't. I don't assume anyone is a woman on the internet because its filled with people...um...like you. So I treat everyone the same.

(And unlike other gamers, I tend to treat women gamers no differently than men. Why would I? Most "girl gamers" make posts and chat just to draw attention to themselves. Yes, I am stereotyping right now. I wouldn't if it wasn't at least partially true.)
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Icebergy's Avatar


Icebergy
11.01.2012 , 08:59 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
Then maybe you should re-read my post. I said they would give me gifts, I never said I accepted them. You assumed I did. You just proved my point about assuming.
"They give me stuff". There is no assumption to make there. They give you stuff. You did not say "they try to give me stuff", you said they give it to you. That is implied that you received it, and in now saying that you didn't take it, you are either lying now, or were lying by omission earlier.

Once again proving my point about not being a good person.
Unsubscribed due to no new Operations.
I am happy that there will be a renewed focus on story, I love story, its why I picked this MMO. But I picked an MMO, not an episodic single player RPG that I have to pay a subscription to receive the episodes.

Thylbanus's Avatar


Thylbanus
11.01.2012 , 12:31 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
I think your whole approach is strange. Its not healthy. Sorry pal, just my opinion. I treat everyone I meet the same. I have no idea where you think I don't. I don't assume anyone is a woman on the internet because its filled with people...um...like you. So I treat everyone the same.

(And unlike other gamers, I tend to treat women gamers no differently than men. Why would I? Most "girl gamers" make posts and chat just to draw attention to themselves. Yes, I am stereotyping right now. I wouldn't if it wasn't at least partially true.)
Well then you reveal your motives. You believe that you are smart enough to "figure out" who is male and female. Your use of assumtions and stereotypes reveals this. So by process of your logic you can deduce who is male and female (they fit stereotypes) and act accordingly. Just as you (and others) assumed what I meant in previous posts. So it isn't weird or odd. My choice of femtoons over male has a multitude of different reasons, a mere fraction of which I outlined. I'm comforable with myself to be able to cross that line.
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson