Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Easier rotation or easier mechanic?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Easier rotation or easier mechanic?

BigBuckeyeNuts
01.29.2012 , 02:44 PM | #1
Trying to decide if I want to roll an consular(sage of some type) or a trooper(not sure what ac yet, probably a tank or healer though). This will be an alt, my main is a smuggler. Jedi Knight is also a possibility I suppose, but my friend is already playing one. I know on my smuggler I had to watch my energy a lot. Not a huge deal, but I did get myself in trouble from time to time. I know the trooper has the same kind of mechanic as a smuggler. But I hear the trooper has a fairly easy rotation/skill set. I am looking to PVP more, and I am still a noob at it, so easier sounds good to me at this point.

But I hear the consulars are pretty good and have a fairly easy force pool to manage.
What do you think?

Faolon
01.29.2012 , 02:55 PM | #2
For healing, Sage will probably be easier to learn with. If you're used to other MMOs like WoW, it'll be more familiar as well. Commando will probably be a better long fight healer because, if you manage your resource correctly, you can last a long time. Sage lacks that, but has more tools to heal with and help with the healing.

For Tanking Vanguard is, by far, the sturdiest tank and the easiest to tank with.
However, if you ever get bored of Tanking, Shadow will probably end up offering a better DPS experience.

For DPS, both will probably be about the same. Commando will offer you better damage, but Sage will offer you better utility. Vanguard can do good damage if played right, but Shadow will probably be a little easier to DPS with.
"I will show you things... wonderful, terrible things."

BigBuckeyeNuts
01.29.2012 , 03:02 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Faolon View Post
For healing, Sage will probably be easier to learn with. If you're used to other MMOs like WoW, it'll be more familiar as well. Commando will probably be a better long fight healer because, if you manage your resource correctly, you can last a long time. Sage lacks that, but has more tools to heal with and help with the healing.

For Tanking Vanguard is, by far, the sturdiest tank and the easiest to tank with.
However, if you ever get bored of Tanking, Shadow will probably end up offering a better DPS experience.

For DPS, both will probably be about the same. Commando will offer you better damage, but Sage will offer you better utility. Vanguard can do good damage if played right, but Shadow will probably be a little easier to DPS with.
I want to say I am leaning towards the tank since I want to try something different. But I suppose a force user would be something different as well. I did play a consular to 12 and went shadow with it, but I was kind of expecting more from the double bladed light saber. I was hoping the animations would be cooler or something.

Achromatis
01.29.2012 , 03:15 PM | #4
Edit: Yeh, if you want a Lightsaber user with cool looking moves youll want a Knight or Warrior of some sort. Sin/Shadow are very lackluster and boring visually and Sorc/Sage never use their lightsabers for anything.

Quote: Originally Posted by Faolon View Post

Sages have an unlimited resource as well, its sort of like mana but not quite the same. Basically you use a mix of "lifetap" and procs, so its kind of like playing a healing Warlock . They definitely start out simpler, but later on you have to manage your resource as much as any other healer once you go far enough up the Seer tree.

For a DPS Commando is probably the easiest(dont they spam Grav Round?), and the mechanic lets you burst more than a Scoundrel/Op does as a healer. Ammo/Heat takes some getting used to but its not that bad really, you just have to remember to use your base attack a lot otherwise youll drop below the 4-pip regen(which you can if you need the burst, youll just either need to use a regen cooldown or sit on your hands for a bit afterwards).

Basically no matter what healer you are things like group CCs and debuffs matter a lot, because even Sages cant keep up a group that insists on AoEing a pack of on-level gold elites. Thankfully all healers get a 60s CC of some sort.
Not Meant to Be a Factual Statement

The plural of anecdote is not data