Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Simplest advanced class and spec for my 67 yo father?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Simplest advanced class and spec for my 67 yo father?

Greyfield
01.28.2012 , 08:45 PM | #1
So my 67 yo father is a Star Wars nut, and picked up SWTOR to play a game with me, but in stardard PVE, he's getting his butt kicked... all over. Having to juggle a dozen or so abilities, resources, and mechanics is difficult for him.

He currently has a commando, gunnery spec, but I might have him reroll, if there is a simpler advanced class / spec out there. Unfortunately, I know there really isn't an advanced class that you can push one button repeatedly to level from 1-50 successfully, but if there were, that would be great.

Things like effect stacks, incapacitated targets, and positional requirements are even harder for him to grasp, so an AC that really only relies on using a core set of abilities to take targets on up front would be the best. I thought a trooper with a big guy would do that, apparently it's not as easy as I thought.

Any thoughts?

Navakai
01.28.2012 , 09:15 PM | #2
There's not much simpler than a commando I'm afraid. Literally as easy as it gets.

tweaq
01.28.2012 , 09:28 PM | #3
Just a thought - maybe he's over complicating the class and not managing his ammo usage. Is he aware that the more ammo he has the faster the regeneration? Any of the classes that work like this i rarely drop below 1/2 unless the instant regen ability is off CD - reload i think it is for commando.

Ravzar
01.28.2012 , 11:06 PM | #4
He is playing the easiest class already. You might have to sit down with him and see what he is doing and how his hot keys are etc. This mmo isn't new to mmo friendly. It really is geared at experienced mmo players due to the significant amount of abilities/required hot keys.

ElevenBfour
01.28.2012 , 11:32 PM | #5
Yeah, suggestion, what I was telling my wife who is a commando also, use the ability that doesn't require ammo (1), then use an ammo using ability (2), then back to 1, then another ability. So in essence it ends up looking something liek this:

1,2,1,3,1,4,1,5.... etc.

I told her to keep doing this until she gets more comfortable at managing her resource. And always send in the companion first. Helps so much until they get the hang of it.

raelimar
01.29.2012 , 03:01 AM | #6
Sounds like he's overwhelmed by all of his abilities. Here's what you do.

Log on when he's not looking. Take everything off the bars except for Grav Round, Recharge Cells, and Hammer Shot.

From there, it's a simple flow chart.

------------

IS YOUR AMMO DEPLETED?

No? Use Grav Round.

Yes?

Is Recharge off cooldown?

Yes? Use Recharge

No? Use Hammer Shot until you've recovered your ammo.

------------

Oh. And he should use Mortar Volley when it's off cooldown and he's dealing with more than two targets. Do that and he'll be able to breeze through PvE and rack up 200K+ damage in every warzone. It's not optimal, but, it works.
KRAETHOS
Operative - Requiem

Helig
01.29.2012 , 03:12 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Greyfield View Post
So my 67 yo father is a Star Wars nut, and picked up SWTOR to play a game with me, but in stardard PVE, he's getting his butt kicked... all over. Having to juggle a dozen or so abilities, resources, and mechanics is difficult for him.

He currently has a commando, gunnery spec, but I might have him reroll, if there is a simpler advanced class / spec out there. Unfortunately, I know there really isn't an advanced class that you can push one button repeatedly to level from 1-50 successfully, but if there were, that would be great.

Things like effect stacks, incapacitated targets, and positional requirements are even harder for him to grasp, so an AC that really only relies on using a core set of abilities to take targets on up front would be the best. I thought a trooper with a big guy would do that, apparently it's not as easy as I thought.

Any thoughts?
He's old (and not all that old, actually) - he's not stupid. If he finds entertainment value in this game, let him learn the ropes. The more things you can do in an MMO, the more fun it gets. Pushing 1 button from 1 to 50 isn't the most fun way you can play a class, no matter your age, education or background.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

Brayla_Sana
01.29.2012 , 03:17 AM | #8
Maybe find him a Logitech G-series keyboard so he can macro some combinations of attacks.

If your Dad wears bifocal glasses, he may also need what my husband calls his "computer glasses." My husband wears bifocals - but it's hard to look at the tiny icons on the screen through the bottom third of his glasses. So he had a pair made that was the bottom prescription for the whole glasses. It helps him see all the details on his screen so much better.

-Arcane-
01.29.2012 , 07:04 AM | #9
Commando.
Arcane Nerdherder - GM of Glory Guild on Niman
PvE Completion 10/10 Nightmare 16man - Videos

Gone to Play Diablo III, SWTOR failed.

MWidowmaker
01.29.2012 , 07:09 AM | #10
echoing what others have said, Commando is fairly easy, but also take a look at which companions he is using as well, maybe it would be better to have him use the healing one?

btw i think its great that your grandpa wants to play the game with you! good luck!
http://www.swtor.com/r/6m2C2S Free stuff, bandwagon referral link, click if you want