Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why are Ops/Mercs mad at forums?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Why are Ops/Mercs mad at forums?

Wintermutes's Avatar


Wintermutes
01.28.2012 , 09:16 AM | #21
I play every class in PvP, and merc/arsenal requires as many keybinds as any other class.

A merc who just spams tracer missile is doing a fraction of his potential damage. It's the core ability of the spec because it procs 2 different buffs and a debuff on the merc's target, but to play a merc effectively requires using a multitude of overlapping abilities.

No doubt that tracer missile is the most used ability in PvP, but "most used" still equates to maybe 25% at most if you're doing it right.

So if you want to say that merc has highest skill floor (it gets the most results from very little effort) that's fine, but just realize that if a merc is wiping the floor with you spamming one button (or even just 4-5 buttons), then you are god awful, and even if mercs were made more complex by default, you'd still be getting rolled by any competent player on any class.
If trees could scream, would we be so willing to cut them down? Maybe we would, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Sagaboy's Avatar


Sagaboy
01.28.2012 , 10:54 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by prodarkwolf View Post
yes i dont understand it neither, BH/troper only spam 1 butom, and 1 more each 15 secs and they are first and second on dmg on 90% warzones that i do.
oh and they have the best aoe dmg on the game with the same defense as tanks.

buut, they get angry when u tell them that they class is too easy to game because they all thinks that are the best players, not that they play the easiest class on the game.
My only advice is that you roll a trooper to 50 and get in the thick of things. Not that sissy baby 1-49 stuff. Get to 50 and go against other skilled geared players. I'm a gunnery commando and I'm actually fascinated to read this 1-button stuff. It doesn't happen on my server Port to Nowhere. Maybe the sith just know I'm a threat and hound me but I spend the majority of my time doing concussion charge and reactive shield more so than worrying about grav round stacking and demo round.

And you say that we think we're the best players? Have you ever considered that maybe...just maybe it looks so easy because a good player makes it look that way. Any gunnery commando that can "without fail" stack grav round - sticky grenade - Demo - HiB deserves the kill because it is the opponent who is inept.

That rotation is 1.5 secs + 1.5 seconds + 1.5 seconds + global cooldown + global cooldown + global cooldown.

Pardon my language, but if you're too stupid a player to LoS, vanish, interrupt, stun, CC, or otherwise incapacitate me through out the whole of that rotation then I'm not the problem, you are. And even being a geared BM there are still players that live through the rotation. Maybe it's just the sith on my server, but I never feel OP'ed. I do a metric ton of damage but that is due to me bobbing and weaving, hiding, angling, and using terrain. I play the class to its strengths and if you think that makes me an easy mode or bad player then I wonder just what the hell you're doing with your character that makes you feel so inadequate.

Swaggz's Avatar


Swaggz
01.28.2012 , 01:00 PM | #23
Tracer missle OP??? One button Tracer Missle spammers? HUH, what? I'm going to take a guess that if you think one or both are true (esp the later), you have no idea how the class work and/or have never even played one. As it's been pointed out numberous times by previous posters Tracer Missle is our primary nuke as it does the following:

Stacks an Armor Pen debuff on target
Stacks a buff that increases Rail Shot damage
Procs Riddle which resets Unloads GCD and increases it's damage by 25%

With the above stated, why do you think that you're going to see Tracer Missle spammed 2-3 times in a row? The rest of our abilities have GCD's that we have to manage. Yes, we have Power Shot, which most of us use when TM has been interupted, but Power Shot doesn't do any of the above and it's not really worth using from a Damage per Heat perspective.

Now, if you let us stay at range and just complete unload and kill you over and over, then yes, it may seem OP, but in that case it's entirely your own fault. LoS us and get in close. Our play style complete changes when you get into melee range and force us on the defensive. If you don't believe me, go ask the Maurader, Assassin, or Op who can take me down in Melee ranged about half the time.

It never ceases to amaze me at the "OMG NERF NERF NERF QQ" crowd in these games. Last time I checked, most MMO's are a team game and pvp balance is never based around 1v1, at least until the community pipes in. Look at Op's/Smug's now. Yes, they might have needed to be toned down in 1-2 things, but the overall nerf bat that they are taking seems a bit much. So go on, continue your QQing and crying about certain classes being OP, but when they come down and beat your class into the ground, you'll have no one other than yourself to blame.

Mizhas's Avatar


Mizhas
01.28.2012 , 01:07 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Swaggz View Post
Tracer missle OP??? One button Tracer Missle spammers? HUH, what? I'm going to take a guess that if you think one or both are true (esp the later), you have no idea how the class work and/or have never even played one. As it's been pointed out numberous times by previous posters Tracer Missle is our primary nuke as it does the following:

Stacks an Armor Pen debuff on target
Stacks a buff that increases Rail Shot damage
Procs Riddle which resets Unloads GCD and increases it's damage by 25%

With the above stated, why do you think that you're going to see Tracer Missle spammed 2-3 times in a row? The rest of our abilities have GCD's that we have to manage. Yes, we have Power Shot, which most of us use when TM has been interupted, but Power Shot doesn't do any of the above and it's not really worth using from a Damage per Heat perspective.

Now, if you let us stay at range and just complete unload and kill you over and over, then yes, it may seem OP, but in that case it's entirely your own fault. LoS us and get in close. Our play style complete changes when you get into melee range and force us on the defensive. If you don't believe me, go ask the Maurader, Assassin, or Op who can take me down in Melee ranged about half the time.

It never ceases to amaze me at the "OMG NERF NERF NERF QQ" crowd in these games. Last time I checked, most MMO's are a team game and pvp balance is never based around 1v1, at least until the community pipes in. Look at Op's/Smug's now. Yes, they might have needed to be toned down in 1-2 things, but the overall nerf bat that they are taking seems a bit much. So go on, continue your QQing and crying about certain classes being OP, but when they come down and beat your class into the ground, you'll have no one other than yourself to blame.
AMEN

Can't say it better, totally agree.

DesertK's Avatar


DesertK
01.28.2012 , 02:15 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by zerobounds View Post
The only people complaining about Mercs are the ones that get spanked and have never played the class.
Ha. its funny because all of the players that do complain about Tracer/Grav probably have no idea what they're doing.

thecoffeecup's Avatar


thecoffeecup
01.28.2012 , 02:59 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Sykomyke View Post
Again, why are these players mad at the QQ being directed at their class? There are obvious flaws in both of these class designs, one being too much burst (which is being fixed in 1.1.1) the other being an oversimplied class (DPS wise) with too many tools at their disposal (Defensively).
The problem with the PvP whining directed at the class is that it's complete tunnel-vision. You see burst damage that's too high and suddenly that's all that matters. You forget that the same class is supposed to work in PvE as well, and you don't notice the suspicious absence of positive fixes to the class, such as doing something about the healing imbalance or improving the awful Lethality tree. Other classes can use this kind of attention as well, and they still need to fix the mirror class differences.

I'm annoyed that PvP is considered so important in a game so focused on PvE, and that the first serious class-balancing attention the game received after launch is just a sad one-sided PvP nerf.

It's not the class I like getting nerfed that really gets to me. It's the mentality around here that the devs must help us get revenge for getting ganked in PvP, and then we can gloat on the forums. I've seen it before, and it never leads to anything positive.

I was hoping TOR wouldn't fall into this trap, and yet here we are.

Zherill's Avatar


Zherill
01.28.2012 , 07:20 PM | #27
Ops nerf.

20% from HS
50% armor pen to 30%.
Knockdown changed from 3 seconds to 1.5.

The nerf to hidden strike takes off 464 from my base damage and 1k from top end.
The 20% reduction in armor pen comes out to a 10% sustained reduction on tanks and a 5% reduction or less on med/light armor classes.
The knockdown change makes it so I get opener +1 attack insted of opener +2.


The knockdown change is all that will change game play.
The combined nerf to my opening combo reduces the total damage by about 1.7k.... I make that up with one more attack.

The knockdown change was needed. The damage nerf is a pacifier for the screaming masses. The pacifier bothers me not because of the damage nerf but because it shows that bioware is in fact "balancing" classes based off the kiddies that scream on the boards.

Most of the people screaming for nerfs are butt hurt kids who got beat in pvp. Most of their agruments are based off FALSE information. Most of the kids crying will immediatly single out another class to tear down right after bioware caves on their current target. They only care about the change in a pvp sense and all the changes also screw the classes in pve.

Go take a look in the pvp boards.
Every class is on their list.
A better question is why are you NOT worried about the idiots screaming nerf?
Koggs Killien
Level 50 Scoundrel

Xreasonz's Avatar


Xreasonz
01.28.2012 , 07:56 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Sykomyke View Post

The frustration with fighting a merc comes from where they can just essentially spam 1 button, (ease of use) versus where I have to use a variety of abilities *in every fight* in order to reach the same effect. It's whats called a quality of life improvement. Either lower the skillcap on other classes where they have such a powerful spammable tool at their disposal, or increase the skillcap on mercs.
you do have a clue why we spam it right? i mean you know what for right?

its native to the spec, Without those innitial 3 tracers, we DONT have dmg reduction, we DONT have increased armor pen, we DONT have unload procs and we DONT have increased dmg in railshot ..... and away goes our dmg, see the problem?

People whining about it just dont see the simple fact that its NOT OUR FAULT ! we have to rely on it for our dmg to come through
Quote: Originally Posted by Caonimah View Post
"Dont blame us, blame the computers that cant run this game with our glorious textures at maximum!"- Bioware 2012