Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The true problems with sorcs/sages(from a sage)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
The true problems with sorcs/sages(from a sage)

Valketh
01.26.2012 , 09:56 PM | #11
^^
Your epeen is a grand and shining beacon to all the lowly noobs who gaze at you from afar. One could only dream of aspiring to learn the methods of your greatness.

wombolombograss
01.26.2012 , 10:26 PM | #12
I think the supposed lack of player skill is a GOOD thing at this point in the game. In my opinion it's not because ToR is a difficult MMO to grasp ( as an 3+ year WoW player I picked this game up quickly, but I'm sure I'm missing tweeks and rotation stuff) but rather ToR is attracting new MMO players. that's GREAT! sure there will be some growing pains, but this is not necessarily a race. the PvE stuff is reasonable that I've seen, the PvP is cruel and mean ( Altho i'm horrible at PvE and get schooled in every MMO I play) and the Heroics seem pretty WoWish. Give it time and the player skill will balance out.
And to stay on thread my Sage can do a dozen dirty things to my scoundral before breaking a sweat, but Scoundral is a class that's gonna take finesse. My Sage is a 2 button wonder pretty much, and he's not even 20 yet. My Scoundral has to work for a living and that makes combat a lot more lively.

Kikkelipoika
01.27.2012 , 03:35 AM | #13
The problem isn't the fact that sorcerers get a lot of utility, the problem is that other classes don't. It's incredibly boring to play a class that doesn't have any tools to build his victory with; like Knights/Warriors. Especially if you're Rage/Focus specced and all your utility is tied to your dps rotation, making the class incredibly inflexible and frustrating to play.

The solution to imbalance shouldn't automatically be nerfing, since that only makes classes more boring to play. Try instead to make the other classes competitive.

Archaegeo
01.27.2012 , 07:19 AM | #14
The point is that sages are well balanced for the game. That doesnt mean break them, but add things as necessary to make other classes more balanced.

However, a lot of times the other classes really arent unbalanced, but just not being played well.

I get a good operative on me, im dead, same for a trooper healer, i just cant take him down if he knows his class well.
INVICTUS
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Skuldar
01.27.2012 , 07:39 AM | #15
Sorcs/Sages are squishy. That's why they have all that utility. They need it to balance how vulnerable they are. For instance, Mercs have much of the same utility and have heavy armor, but they lack interrupts. Operatives have medium armor and stealth, but their 60 sec CC can only be applied before combat. Look at every class that has tons of utility and you'll see a glaring comparative weakness that helps balance it.

That is not to say that the combined utility for all classes is equal when applied to PvE or PvP. There will always be slight advantages in certain situations for certain classes with certain specs; I don't see how you'd ever balance away all possibilities of that. Part of the problem with the upcoming Operative/Scoundrel nerf is that it addresses a very situational problematic advantage but affects many more situations faced by those classes. The class as a whole will be weaker just because they were a little too good in some specific situations. This is one reason I would like to see more disconnect between PvE and PvP rulesets, so they could tweak problems in one area without diminishing needed capability in the other.

genesiser
01.27.2012 , 08:07 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Skuldar View Post
Sorcs/Sages are squishy. That's why they have all that utility. They need it to balance how vulnerable they are. For instance, Mercs have much of the same utility and have heavy armor, but they lack interrupts. Operatives have medium armor and stealth, but their 60 sec CC can only be applied before combat. Look at every class that has tons of utility and you'll see a glaring comparative weakness that helps balance it.

That is not to say that the combined utility for all classes is equal when applied to PvE or PvP. There will always be slight advantages in certain situations for certain classes with certain specs; I don't see how you'd ever balance away all possibilities of that. Part of the problem with the upcoming Operative/Scoundrel nerf is that it addresses a very situational problematic advantage but affects many more situations faced by those classes. The class as a whole will be weaker just because they were a little too good in some specific situations. This is one reason I would like to see more disconnect between PvE and PvP rulesets, so they could tweak problems in one area without diminishing needed capability in the other.
The problem with your argument is the bubble they get.

1 bubble more than makes up the armor difference of trooper vs sage with the amount of damage absorbed. Plus, with all their utility they also get an escape move via force sprint. Also, in case you weren't aware... Troopers do get an interrupt, just not the commando advanced class.

I'm not hating on sages, I just want an interrupt on my commando trooper.

urborror
01.27.2012 , 09:18 AM | #17
The bubbles turned the tides in many a battle I oversaw. The bubbles are awesome.

I went halfway up the left (healing) and right trees, being unconcerned with endgame stuff, and it seems like a excellent hybrid strategy/class. I lacked the AoE heal, but other Sorc healing tree perks seem so weak as to be a joke (I wouldn't have taken '1% less health used by consumption' if it was 10%, even 20.) It was almost like they nerfed the sorc healing tree since the sorc is so powerful to begin with.

Otherwise my healing was robust while I had instant CCing and no cooldown on force lightning.

Velr
01.27.2012 , 09:24 AM | #18
With my (concealment) OP i tend to favor dieing over healing me from nearly 0% to 100%....

It's faster.
OP healing is so terrible when not specced... And it should be like that for all "healers" that don't specc heal.

Skuldar
01.27.2012 , 09:35 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by genesiser View Post
The problem with your argument is the bubble they get.
There's no doubt that bubble is powerful, but it costs Force and isn't up constantly like heavy armor is. I think it helps balance the squishiness of the class, but I can see how some (especially those focused on PvP) might see it as too strong given everything else available to the class.

My focus is on PvE, so I'd hate to lose that bubble because it has saved me from many a questing disaster and helps make up for the armor deficit tanking companions are saddled with. That bubble is sometimes all that keeps me from being relegated to a chain-healing fool while my companion slowly chips away for five minutes.

Talsyrius
01.27.2012 , 09:39 AM | #20
↑Sage heal is terrible when you arn't speced in it too, fyi.