Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sorcerer/Sage: Making the lightsaber a "stat stick" is an affront to Star Wars

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Sorcerer/Sage: Making the lightsaber a "stat stick" is an affront to Star Wars

Wrathoran
01.25.2012 , 12:19 AM | #21
you cannot compare NPC to players

1-Darth Malgus is clearly a Sith Warrior but can use force lightning
2-Random weak republic soldier with a massive 2 handed tech sword is jumping 3 times (leap) between me and my pet. Why cant I ?
3-Satele Shan use attack from sage while having a double lightsabers reserved to assassin.

so if we go like that, palpatine have the right to use a saber while chucking lightning and be good at both

As players, we are forced to pick. You chose a class called Sorcerer (or sage).

def Sorcerer : One who practices sorcery; a wizard
def Sorcery : the art, practices, or spells of a person who is supposed to exercise supernatural powers through the aid of evil spirits; black magic; witchery.

You took the class that was showcased using the force as his weapon, not the lightsaber. You can still use the basic combo attack of it but you are not trained for it.

You cant ask to be good with your lightsaber and be good with the force. Even if you say, "i want technique that will be done with my saber but will be from my force lightning". I will only say i want some too with my juggernaut. If you can wield a saber correctly and use force correctly, i wanna do it too since i can complain i use the saber well but not the force.

JackalTurner
01.25.2012 , 12:32 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Felioats View Post
In a book.

Uh-huh. And what class would you say Yoda is? That's right, Sage. He also pwns Count Dooku with a lightsaber.
Yoda a sage? HA! Not a chance!
Yoda only ever throws around force push and most of his fighting is done with a highly acrobatic force-assisted lightsaber form. He would definarely be a sentinel if he was anything in this game.

And as for the OP, you think a lightsaber is more heroic than literally being able to call upon an element as destructive as lightning and hurl it out of your fingertips at someone across the room? A sorceror can tap into the most powerful of all powers, the deepest of the dark forces. He does not NEED a lightsaber. His power is beyond a simple sword made of light.
If you wanted a heroic lightsaber fighter you have the warrior class to roll with.

If Star Wars was just about lightsabers you wouldnt have any other class. Thankfully, its not.

Kallist_Rhoka
01.25.2012 , 05:32 AM | #23
I kinda agree with the OP and everyone else on this.

When I had first started looking at the game before I bought it, and all the classes and whatnot, I said to myself "I want to be a Sith/Jedi. I want to USE a (single one-handed) lightsaber. But I also want to be well-versed in the Force. Hopefully they'll give me a class that gives me the best of both worlds." Basically I wanted to be able to ROFLstomp enemies with hard-crushing melee abilities, but have the freedom and ability to just blast that one dude behind that rock with a boulder or lightning from my fingertips. Not just one or the other. I had initially looked at the Sorcerer, but when my RL friend levelled hers to 24 and I asked her "Can you ROFLstomp with your lightsaber?" she sadly responded "LOLno, I roflstomp with lightning kthanx." I was sadfaced, to say the least. I agree with the OP in the sense that...it's a LIGHTSABER. I want to USE it rather than just hold on to it, spin it around, and block blaster bolts. However, since it's a "magic" type of class, it isn't too far-fetched for a Sorcerer to just twiddle it around while destroying things with "magic." Everyone's got a point here. I think it just comes down to personal taste and desire.

Making the Sorcerer a Darth Sidious/Emperor Palpatine "archetype" does make sense if you really think about it. I would say he was more well-known for his power and mastery of the Dark Side of the Force rather than his swordplay.

On a side note I'm currently leveling an Assassin because my dream class doesn't quite exist yet As far as I know.

Skuldar
01.25.2012 , 07:24 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Felioats View Post
There are six films. At least five -- Phantom Menace may not count.

I remember him roflpwning four Jedi with a lightsaber, actually, and nearly finishing off a fifth. He may have even only pretended to need the help to push Anakin over the edge.
Keep in mind that such battles occurred in the prequels, when Palpatine was lower level and thus had to rely on his lightsaber more. It is only after choosing the Sorcerer advanced class that Inquisitors start to gradually shift from saber to lightning. So just look at the prequel Palpatine as a pre-20s Inquisitor and the later movie Emperor as a high-level Sorcerer, then it makes more sense.

Archaegeo
01.25.2012 , 07:29 AM | #25
You do have skills as a sorc/sage that swing your lightsaber, you just choose not to click them. (Two in fact)

Plus when running for distance, it deflects fire.

But yeah, all in all, its a stat stick. If i could put the stats on an item and wear it, id fight bare fisted.
INVICTUS
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Xanthlor
01.25.2012 , 08:15 AM | #26
Assassin is the best of both worlds as i use lightening and my saber pretty equally so I, while im sure sorc/sage since they are ranged rely heavily on the force I would think you still get some saber moves.

again ASSASSIN uses both fairly equally if you know what you are doing.

Atamosk
01.25.2012 , 09:11 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by SarimRune View Post
How many times, in the only three films, did the Emperor use a Lightsaber?

Zero.

He didn't need to. He had Force Lightning.
bullzeye
running is never a bad thing

inseeisyou
01.25.2012 , 10:33 AM | #28
Ahh... "moral duty"...

I like your post.
BoycottEA.com
Because enough is enough!

Armaso
01.25.2012 , 11:34 AM | #29
I have a ship that is capable of atmospheric flight. If I can't use it to do all my quests and to shoot down the imperial ship in ACW then it might as well be a wooden stick.

I love these threads.

distantwind
01.25.2012 , 02:27 PM | #30
If you go back and look at the extended universe story of nomi sunrider and master thon he explains that the light saber is not only a weapon but also a tool for the Jedi to focus their power through. With it nomi is able to greatly increase the power of her battle meditation thus the saber does become a "stat stick" for her. It would have increased her wisdom to enhance her force powers. And please no arguments about whether the extended universe counts because nomi sunrider and exar kun are both mentions in the prior kotor games.