Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sorcerer/Sage: Making the lightsaber a "stat stick" is an affront to Star Wars

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Sorcerer/Sage: Making the lightsaber a "stat stick" is an affront to Star Wars

LyriaFrost
01.24.2012 , 05:58 PM | #11
Well, purely from an IC/realistic (gasp!) standpoint, for my sage and sorceress, it would go something like this...

"Hm. You're over there. I'm over here. Sure, I could walk over there, draw my lightsaber, and hack you down. But you know what? This is easier." *force lightning/hurled boulder to the face*

I look at it as the sage/sorcerer having mastered the force to the level that they don't even NEED their lightsabers anymore. They're basically just a badge of office. "I'm a jedi/sith, see? I have a lightsaber. Now watch me lift a sandcrawler and crush you with it."

That said, I do still use my saber to hack down weak targets that end up near me, if I don't feel like crushing them with a rock/lightning bolt.

elvigy
01.24.2012 , 06:02 PM | #12
Suggestion to any moderator that might be monitoring the Sage forums-sticky one of these threads and let all the kiddies complain in that one thread and close the rest of these.

Fajing
01.24.2012 , 06:03 PM | #13
It would be nice to have an option to not draw the saber unless you use a melee move.

smartalectwo
01.24.2012 , 06:09 PM | #14
Jedi that use lightsabers as a ceremonial symbol of rank and only use them for self-defence is an idea at least a decade old. Roots in the Tales of the Jedi comics and the Star Wars tabletop RPGs. Not a BioWare invention.
There is no try.

Achromatis
01.24.2012 , 06:47 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Vermalech View Post
Check and Mate, op.
Same with Obi-Wan... if youre not counting the holywooded newer films. The only time I remember him using it to fight in the original movies was to get owned by Vader, and I dont think Yoda even had one.

Besides, what do you need a lightsaber for when youve got FREAKING LIGHTNING or you can throw a wall at someone?
Not Meant to Be a Factual Statement

The plural of anecdote is not data

Kurugi
01.24.2012 , 08:03 PM | #16
I didn't really mind it until the fight against the sith apprentice on Coruscant. It just felt...wrong having Qyzen be the one engaged with the sith while I stood back chucking rocks. It didn't feel like a proper Jedi vs. Sith kind of fight.

DashHorizonis
01.24.2012 , 08:46 PM | #17
I use mine all the time. I block blaster shots all the time, block melee attacks, ect.

Also, both the consular and inquis start out, on their starting planets, being told they are one of the most powerful they've felt in quite some time.

If we're so powerful in the force, we have no need to use the lightsaber in an offensive way.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀║][Ξ[\███████████████████████████████████)

Corran
01.24.2012 , 10:30 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Felioats View Post
In a book.

more of the lore in this game is based around the books than the movies

there is more established star wars lore that everyone looks to in the books than all 6 movies combined ever created

accept this and move on
"No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect." - Corran Horn
http://www.twitch.tv/dixa1

Luckmann
01.24.2012 , 11:29 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Felioats View Post
There are six films. At least five -- Phantom Menace may not count.

I remember him roflpwning four Jedi with a lightsaber, actually, and nearly finishing off a fifth. He may have even only pretended to need the help to push Anakin over the edge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkgLSyrdiqg

And even in the Emperor's Throne Room scene in ROTJ, he wasn't there to fight. Only to observe and use words to turn Luke to the dark side.

Hardly.
Hahahaha.

Nobody counts the "new trilogy", silly.
Bevier, Knight of the EmpireLord Calypso, EU RP-PvP
WTB Jedi Battlelord's Chestguard, Greaves, Boots & Handgear.

Inframan
01.24.2012 , 11:53 PM | #20
A simple toy is nothing compared to the power of the force.