Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Regarding Lucas' treatment of the franchise

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Regarding Lucas' treatment of the franchise

Petrus
01.24.2012 , 01:47 PM | #1
For anyone who’s crushed about the ret con that’s occurred in parts of the SW franchise, I suggest checking out a story by Philip K. Dick (the author of Bladerunner).

The book is called The Man in the High Castle. In it, several characters are obsessed with a popular “alternative history” where America actually won the Second World War (I know, the book’s a mind trip).

In the end, some meet the author and discover an important lesson about putting too much faith in one man’s vision.

Now, some things I've learned from Philip K. Dick and applied to Star Wars:

--A counterfeit can be better than the original (see The Phantom Edit).

--Creators ply their craft for money; you are the sucker who pays them for it.

--Finally, as Dick asks, “Who, and what, are the agents behind the interpenetration of true and false realities?”

Answer that question for yourself, and time spent in Lucas' universe will be much less frustrating.

Zantul
01.24.2012 , 02:10 PM | #2
Frustrating? Haven't had this much fun in ages...
It is better to be feared than loved. Love is like a chain of obligation, and because man is sadly wicked it is broken at every opportunity to serve self interest. However fear is maintained by the dread of punishment which never abandons you.
Darth Venger Prophecy of the 5

Petrus
01.24.2012 , 02:15 PM | #3
Oh, me too!

Love the game.

More of a commentary on some of the lore and franchise itself.

Talkative
01.24.2012 , 02:48 PM | #4
If you haven't read Philip K. Dick's assorted works at this point I honestly don't know what to say to you besides..."really?"

The man was clearly paranoid delusional and possibly schizophrenic with a psychotic break, but so much of his writing is seminal.

As for Lucas' treatment of the series, it all stems from two things: one, Lucas is a perfectionist. Like Coppola, his mentor, he is capable of shepherding great visions just as easily as he can crush them with his filmmaking OCD. Two, Lucas never felt like he had gotten to tell the story he wanted to with Star Wars. He probably still doesn't. That's not a good feeling, and when you're a multi-billionaire who owns the rights, you're allowed to change things. Which isn't to say that you ought to, simply that you can.
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever. - Robert Ricciardi

Petrus
01.24.2012 , 03:17 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Talkative View Post
The man was clearly paranoid delusional and possibly schizophrenic with a psychotic break, but so much of his writing is seminal.
Lucas or Dick? =)

Talkative
01.24.2012 , 04:04 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
Lucas or Dick? =)
Lucas actually seems relatively sane. At least his writing comes across that way.
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever. - Robert Ricciardi

DarylMusashi
01.24.2012 , 11:05 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
The book is called The Man in the High Castle. In it, several characters are obsessed with a popular “alternative history” where America actually won the Second World War (I know, the book’s a mind trip).
America, along with allies such as Britain, actually did win WW2. I think you meant Germany.

marshalleck
01.25.2012 , 12:32 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by DarylMusashi View Post
America, along with allies such as Britain, actually did win WW2. I think you meant Germany.
No, it's an alternate history in which the characters ponder an alternate history of their own, which would be our history where the Allies won the war.

This is Phillip K. Dick we're talking about, here.
Classless character progression // Deep crafting & harvesting // Fully customizable spells & skills // Living world with seasons, weather, dynamic day/night & wildlife ecology // >

DarylMusashi
01.25.2012 , 12:45 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by marshalleck View Post
No, it's an alternate history in which the characters ponder an alternate history of their own, which would be our history where the Allies won the war.

This is Phillip K. Dick we're talking about, here.
You are right. I misunderstood when I read it the first time.

Petrus
01.25.2012 , 10:02 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by DarylMusashi View Post
Please re-read. Correct as originally posted.

Edit: =)