Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do you report offensive behavior that occurs in general chat?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Do you report offensive behavior that occurs in general chat?

Subatia
01.24.2012 , 12:11 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by FleshMauler View Post
In all honesty I find threads like this to be imature. Unless something is directly said against you, there really shouldn't be a reason to report someone for using the chat feature.
I find it very hard to imagine anything that could be said not directed towards me that offends me so much as to possibly ban a person who has paid good money to play a video game (and I've been playing MMOs for 8 years now.)
I have a note program on Firefox. In it, I keep stuff so I can quickly c/p when I need it.

Inappropriate Language and Naming http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/1884
STAR WARS™: THE OLD REPUBLIC™ RULES OF CONDUCT http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/roc

I think Kabjat said it best in a post above:

Quote: Originally Posted by Kabjat View Post
I resent reducing my game experience to a single player game just so I don't have to subject myself to behavior that is AGAINST THE RULES.
It takes less work to NOT use naughty words.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

GregMD
01.24.2012 , 12:17 PM | #22
nope, I never report or ignore people. I usually start most of the offensive behavior in general so maybe that's why.

Quote: Originally Posted by Subatia View Post

Lol naughty words? I didn't realize we were all in kindergarten

Grimgrey
01.24.2012 , 01:00 PM | #23
I generally just put the person on ignore if they're obviously trying to cause trouble. I have yet to report anyone, but if something was over-the-top offensive (racist, blatant sexual harassment, etc.) I'd probably do so.

Why would I want that stuff in games I play?

Kabjat
01.24.2012 , 01:02 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by FleshMauler View Post
In all honesty I find threads like this to be imature. Unless something is directly said against you, there really shouldn't be a reason to report someone for using the chat feature.
I find it very hard to imagine anything that could be said not directed towards me that offends me so much as to possibly ban a person who has paid good money to play a video game (and I've been playing MMOs for 8 years now.)

I think you are missing my point. I don't wish to deprive anyone of their good time or their right to play the game. It's like I said before, everyone who plays are humans with an intellect that help them to differentiate between socially acceptable and socially reprehensible behavior. The fact that people choose to willfully disregard the rules and subject others to their foulness shows how selfish THEY are. When they say such inflammatory and offensive things in a PUBLIC CHANNEL for all to hear, it becomes my business, REGARDLESS if it was directed at me or not. It affects me because I shouldn't have to see that.

In short, it's against the rules, so why should I stay silent about it?

You call these types of threads immature, when all I am doing is voicing my concern about a very real problem. If you would read my OP you would see that I stated I would never report someone for bad words or what have you. Indeed, I would NEVER report anyone for 'using the chat feature'. I WILL however report someone for ABUSING the chat feature to vomit their hate speech and abuse for the entire zone to hear.

That is unacceptable behavior and should be reported.
Quote: Originally Posted by Thaltom View Post
Are you playing TOR on an Atari Potato?

Dessta
01.24.2012 , 01:05 PM | #25
If the person in general who is being offensive also happens to have a wildly inappropriate name (which happens often, I've noticed), I just report their name. I figure being forced to change names will calm them down a bit. Otherwise, I've had good luck by trolling them a bit. I act like I'm playing along with them (although declining to be vulgar and offensive myself) and basically make them look really stupid. If you do it right, the other more mature server members will usually jump in and join you, and that just ruins the troll's fun. I've found it is easier to take over the chat with decent talk, and build your friends list, than to let myself get riled up and build my ignore list.

Kabjat
01.24.2012 , 01:08 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Brosephiine View Post
My little cousin has downs syndrome. I used to watch him all the time and he's difficult to deal with sometimes. I've also volunteered at the Special Olympics. I've seen posts in trade chat on WoW that seriously offend me because of this. I'm not talking about, "Oh that's retarded." I'm no so sensitive that that bothers me. I'm talking some SERIOUS trash talking against people with mental disabilities.
And this is among many of the things I'm talking about. These are the topics that ANYONE who plays knows better to avoid, but many times do not. I am really hoping I'm not coming off as a screeching maiden aunt who is outraged by every little thing, because that is sooooo not true xD. Some of the things we joke around about in g-chat are seriously off-color and/or perverted. LMAO

But yeah, people going off on the mentally disabled in GENERAL CHAT, making fun of them is totally unacceptable and anyone who says 'grow a thicker skin, if this bothers you, you have issues.' need to seriously grow a little empathy.

foulcault
01.24.2012 , 01:19 PM | #27
I talk in an adult manner (adult talk and a little trash talk but you get idea). I often go to lengths to avoid getting into public chat cause of my behavior. HOWEVER the game does not make it easy.

1) Discovered an emote swich which seems posts to public even if you type in whisper.

2) If you have an ongoing whisper convo it doesn't hold that setting like it does general or party chat. So chance of accidental typing to public chat occurs often.

I try to party when I can but with so many people I know I also end up having to be in seperate groups.

Just something to concider as well.
I speak the rare language of typonese. I'm like a smuggler I type fast, get the job done, and never come back to the scene of the crime.

Kabjat
01.24.2012 , 01:22 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Subatia View Post
I have a note program on Firefox. In it, I keep stuff so I can quickly c/p when I need it.

Inappropriate Language and Naming http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/1884
STAR WARS™: THE OLD REPUBLIC™ RULES OF CONDUCT http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/roc

I think Kabjat said it best in a post above:

Good point. This is how I see it, too. I replied to a thread once not too long ago by an outraged player who was VERY upset that people would DARE report offensive speech in general chat. He called for Bioware to 'lock' the the language filter to the ON position for anyone who reports another player.

This person clearly felt that the goody goodies who didn't wish to see offensive speech should be forced to endure the annoyance of the language filter as punishment.

Makes perfect sense, huh?

For the record, I think the language filter makes chat unreadable because it filters far more than it should. I don't even really care about profanity. It's just offensive speech, racist comments, abusive and insulting back and forths that get me.

Larkie
01.24.2012 , 01:30 PM | #29
I will invariably say something if there is a lot of gay-bashing, which happens all too often. Why bother? Because if nobody says anything you are condoning it. Sure, they'll start attacking you instead but I would rather that than have all these people (including kids) think that sort of behavior is okay.

I haven't really looked to see if there's an easy way to report people and I think I would rarely do it if so but some people undoubtedly deserve it.

Subatia
01.24.2012 , 01:38 PM | #30
I wish the "filter" was more pro-active.

For any general chat or random group, the filter would just refuse to post any message with offending language.

You can still be kewl in guild chat or private groups that you make.

You just can't be 'mature' in general.