Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do you report offensive behavior that occurs in general chat?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Do you report offensive behavior that occurs in general chat?

Ardim
01.23.2012 , 09:05 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Kabjat View Post
hehe I don't know what it is with Dromund Kaas. That zone seems to turn people into brazen trolls. Luckily it doesn't last TOO long and then you are in the Barrens...er, I mean Balmora.
It's somewhat amusing at times, but mostly it's just plain annoying. Balmorra also has quite a few trolls as well, though it's less than Dromund Kaas at least
The Alabaster Legacy
Server: Jedi Covenant
Isaac: Sith Marauder Skradin: Mercenary Washington: Operative

Brosephiine
01.24.2012 , 12:50 AM | #12
see and that's how my husband and I are! In our old WOW guild we were all over 30 and in g-chat things would get pretty colorful xD. I can be pretty perverted with the jokes too, but I would only ever do that in a controlled, private channel like g-chat where I know everyone there is of age and won't be offended.

It's the public chat channels that this occurs that bother me, lol....other than that, I'm about as crude as they come >.>

But in general chat, you have no idea who is seeing it...or their sensitivities. When some idiot starts mouthing off about a topic that could very well be a trigger for someone...maybe something happened to them that was really traumatic...I dunno, I suppose I'm just a carebear with a thin skin. ROFL
If there's some mild perverted joking around in general that's not actually very colorful, I'll happily join in. As I said, I like being tactful in public. xD But gchant is generally a free for all. xD My WoW guild is like that. I run it and I know everyone's age, so it's safe to let loose.
[deviantART]
A system run by the ergophobic
is destined for failure.

Calamityy
01.24.2012 , 12:56 AM | #13
I really don't care one way or another.

Best not to get involved and just turn general chat off for a while after you put the person on ignore.

Simply ignore the person and BAM! Problem solved.
Not much to it.

gaalon
01.24.2012 , 06:23 AM | #14
I personally don't give a damn how offensive people are and what depraved things they want to talk about in general. I simply don't read it if it pisses me off. The exception might be massive discrimination such as guilds not recruiting people because they are of a different nationality, creed, sexual preference or things like that (and I'd only ever report them if this was systematic and not just if someone calls someone a "gay" for example).

The sad thing is: I see absolutely no point in reporting people what so ever. The GM and customer support don't react to anything important or game-breaking so I highly doubt they have time to waste on trivialities such as people being loud-mouthed on the internets (and if they are wasting time on this then I'd get really annoyed because they should be working on tickets that block people from enjoying the game).

TL;DR:

I'd only report massive infractions and systematic discrimination even if I doubt it will do any good.

Kabjat
01.24.2012 , 06:41 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Myk-Ron View Post
WoW has had this issue for years, and the simple fact is that there is no real solution. Sure, you can report people for being crude or offensive or whatever. You can report people because you don't like them (I've seen it work in WoW). In the end, though, nobody is forcing you to read the swill. It takes a certain amount of willpower to not read it. It takes more willpower once you've read it to not respond. But, it can be done.

The inherent problem is the internet provides people with a the means to be complete d-bags with no real reprecussions. Bioware may ban a player, but nothing is going to stop them from creating a new account and going back to their old repulsive ways. The internet removes the human part of interaction. When you remove the ability for one person to inflict physical harm on another, all bets are off. The very worst of humanity can be found on the internet...thriving.

That being said. I've been superbly pleased with the current climate of my server. The grammatical acumen alone was enough to bring tears to my eyes. I'd quit WoW almost two years previous, and my dreams were still haunted by what passed for communication in that game...

Unfortunately, I don't think there is an answer to this issue other than to shrug, and hope the game attracts and continues to attract a more civilized crowd.

I can appreciate what you are saying. I guess, where I'm coming from is that being passive doesn't seem to help either. I played WoW for years and would fall into the trap of becoming indignant over the things people would spew out...and not just filth, I'm talking outright hostility to other players. I would let it ruin my fun to the point where I would log out. In SW:TOR, I've wised up and just simply turn off chat at the first sign of things going downhill.

Therein lies the rub: I resent reducing my game experience to a single player game just so I don't have to subject myself to behavior that is AGAINST THE RULES.

You are right that the internet provides a shield for people to let out their more....aggressive sides. My point is, why should the rest of us be apathetic about it? If we just shrug and do nothing, saying it will never go away, it surely won't.

My husband and I started out on The Harbinger server. The community there was abhorrent. We have since decided to switch servers, re-roll and start from scratch. So far, our new server seems far more mature and the community populated with people who recognize that there are other PEOPLE behind the avatars.

I guess I'm still irritated that we even HAD to move servers. I have a couple of mid level characters that I've abandoned because of this issue.
Quote: Originally Posted by Thaltom View Post
Are you playing TOR on an Atari Potato?

Kabjat
01.24.2012 , 07:26 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Calamityy View Post
I really don't care one way or another.

Best not to get involved and just turn general chat off for a while after you put the person on ignore.

Simply ignore the person and BAM! Problem solved.
Not much to it.
Apathy just makes a bad community worse.

Like I said before, ignoring is not a long term effective solution because it won't take long at all for your ignore list to fill. I resent people like this being sent the message that their behavior is acceptable because no one will stand up to them by reporting them. If enough people REPORT unacceptable behavior, over time, the degenerates will eventually learn that there is a COST to acting like a savage online and perhaps learn to curtail themselves if they wish to not get banned.

Much like in REAL LIFE.

The percentage of people who are the problem is probably SMALLER than we imagine. The reason it seems so cancerous is because the MAJORITY (us, the decent people who believe in treating others with respect, online or not) are apathetic about it.

In REAL LIFE, do we put up with disgusting lewd behavior in public? Do we just stand by and let some low life mouth off and bully us to our face just because he feels like it? of course not! So why do so many decent people insist that there is nothing that can be done about such behavior online? When there are clearly RULES in place that are designed to protect us from such things?
Quote: Originally Posted by Thaltom View Post
Are you playing TOR on an Atari Potato?

Bamajawn
01.24.2012 , 08:56 AM | #17
I've used /report 3 times. Each report was due to racist or threatening chat. Most of the time, I stay in a tab that allows for guild chat. If I'm in a group, I have a party chat tab. I use general only when I'm looking for a group for the most part.

I've seen other players confront the idiots in chat, but as you said, it really doesn't go anywhere. There's some brief bickering, and the behavior often continues. I wonder what kind of sick thrill these players get from slandering individuals or an entire race of people.
Brotherhood of Chaos, Shadow Hand server

FleshMauler
01.24.2012 , 11:04 AM | #18
In all honesty I find threads like this to be imature. Unless something is directly said against you, there really shouldn't be a reason to report someone for using the chat feature.
I find it very hard to imagine anything that could be said not directed towards me that offends me so much as to possibly ban a person who has paid good money to play a video game (and I've been playing MMOs for 8 years now.)

Brosephiine
01.24.2012 , 12:07 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by FleshMauler View Post
In all honesty I find threads like this to be imature. Unless something is directly said against you, there really shouldn't be a reason to report someone for using the chat feature.
I find it very hard to imagine anything that could be said not directed towards me that offends me so much as to possibly ban a person who has paid good money to play a video game (and I've been playing MMOs for 8 years now.)
My little cousin has downs syndrome. I used to watch him all the time and he's difficult to deal with sometimes. I've also volunteered at the Special Olympics. I've seen posts in trade chat on WoW that seriously offend me because of this. I'm not talking about, "Oh that's retarded." I'm no so sensitive that that bothers me. I'm talking some SERIOUS trash talking against people with mental disabilities.
[deviantART]
A system run by the ergophobic
is destined for failure.

Lunazen
01.24.2012 , 12:08 PM | #20
What DOES get me is the frequency general chat will erupt with puerile, disgusting, and offensive talk that has NO PLACE in this environment.
I hear ya OP. Swear words don't bother me at all but some of the other stuff that goes on in general.. well it really just makes me think of kids/teens/young 20 somethings who get a thrill from "poo poo pee pee" talk (what we call it in my house lol).

That being said, I don't report them. I just put them on ignore. Not flaming here, just explaining my reasoning (and the following really should not be mistaken for apathy). While I don't have a problem with these type of people being reported, I don't have any real problem with them being stupid and disgusting in general either. If people find it amusing, whatever floats their boat. If they find it annoying or offensive and wish to ignore or report, that's fine too.

As for kids, my youngest plays (almost 13 now but he's been playing MMOs since he was 8 or 9), as does my oldest (now 19 so not an issue but playing MMOs since he was 14). My personal take with my own kids: I don't censor what they see and hear (within reason of course). I chalk these kind of things up to conversation and learning opportunities.

As for other people's kids and what they see or don't see... well, it's not my job to clean up general chat for them. It's the parents' job to monitor what goes on and deal with things in a way that makes them feel ok about it.
Squadron 367
**SWG Teras Kasi~Creature Handler 2003-2005**
**EQ2 Monk 2005-2011**