Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"I can feel your anger. It gives you focus."

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
"I can feel your anger. It gives you focus."

tausra
01.23.2012 , 09:56 PM | #11
Anger can be helpful.. right up until it wounds you for life. As a highschool football player getting "mad" caused me to hit harder and cause more damage when I made contact. The downside was that I lost track of the play, often got in the way and occasionally ruined the play. When it came to lifting and training anger was only marginally helpful.

It was easier to lift the weights when i was angry, but that's one of the reasons it hurts to walk. I was angry, the coach was infuriating me, and I was lifting far too much weight. Shouldered the bar, something like 275 lbs, and started doing squats until i went down one time and couldn't get back up. When they lifted the bar up, they had to lift me up too as I could no longer work my right leg without shooting pain. I went immediately to the get it checked out, and lo and behold I ripped my thigh muscle in half. For the next 6 months I was on my back, unable to walk because any strain on that muscle would rip it open again. For a year it hurt to put weight on it. I couldn't lift the weight unless i was angry, and now I'll never be able to lift it again.
"Sith, children of Sith, warriors everywhere, I declare a new Empire, open to all who long for conquest, freedom from inhibition and the right to follow their passions." -Emperor Malgus

ErikModi
01.23.2012 , 10:25 PM | #12
Generally, anger does cloud judgement, and there's a whole host of medical and psychological reasons for it. However, if you know how, you can channel that emotion without losing focus. It's very difficult, and is the kind of skill that, in Star Wars, only masters of the Dark Side achieve, but, in real life, it can happen.

Let me give you an example. I sat down to a friendly game of Vampire: The Eternal Struggle (a CCG, if you don't know.) I was playing with my mother and two other players. The game has a cyclical setup. . . you can only attack the player to your left, and only the player to your right can attack you. I played a political card early in the game that would have helped everyone, and the player to my right responded by playing a card that damaged me for every vote the card failed by, and proceeded to pile on votes until I was almost, but not quite, taken out of the game. Had he drawn into one more vote bump card, I would have been ousted basically on my first card play. As the votes against me piled higher and higher, I got angrier and angrier, past the point where I would have simply lost control and slugged the SOB (yes, over a card game. . . you've been there, don't even pretend you haven't) and into what I like to call the "Cold Hard Place." I spent about two turns fuming, then looked at the player to my left (which happened to be my mom) and said "Sorry, Mom, you're between me and Player X," and proceeded to calmly, efficiently, methodically, and totally take her apart. One I had taken her out of the game, I looked at the player who had just become my new prey (who also happened to be this game's world champion) and said "Sorry, Player Y, but you're between me and Player X." To which he replied "I rather wish I weren't." And yes, I took him apart. Then finally got to the object of my rage, and once more calmly, efficiently, methodically, and utterly took him apart.

I've only been propelled to the Cold Hard Place that one time, but it was amazing. I'd never had such a sense of utter clarity and focus in my life. I knew exactly what I had to do and how to do it. It was brilliant. I wish I could live there, honestly. With practice, you can take the energy of anger, "pumping yourself up" with it, and get that same charge of power without losing focus, but it's difficult.
Jedi vs. Sith, Page 97, column 2, paragraph 4, line 1:

Prior to the Battle of Ruusan, the Jedi used crystals from many different sources, and ignited lightsabers in every known hue, including purple, orange, and gold.

Romick
01.23.2012 , 10:54 PM | #13
When you do something out of anger in sports, it's usually something stupid that you will regret. That's why you're always told to "keep your cool".

xeviltoasterx
01.23.2012 , 11:01 PM | #14
I'm a psych major and actually did a big paper and literature review on anger last semester. There's been a couple of studies that prove that anger and focus/selective attention are related. I'd have to check the paper as I forgot the exact studies, but look it up. It's true. Think about any real life situation; genuine, intense anger narrows the attention down to the source over anger. IMO, and according to many studies, it's very much true.

Kirutaru
01.23.2012 , 11:08 PM | #15
Yeah you guys are talking about acting out while angry or raging.

When you are angry at something - like a government or at a teacher who slighted you, you can easily focus that anger into making BIG changes. Take the teacher for example. One time a teacher told me that I could not pass the test unless I took out my notebook and took notes. She was a real --- about it. So finally, I took the notebook out and opened it and purposely put my pen on the paper and never touched it again.

Subsequently (because I was pissed my intelligence had been slighted) I got 100%.

In all honestly if she hadn't pissed me off, I probably wouldn't have paid much attention. Being angry at something can cause you to focus in order to spite the source.

Alternatively, I could have thrown the notebook at her face and gotten expelled, but that's not the same thing (though still due to anger). That's just acting out on my feelings. You see the comparison I'm drawing?

ZillaB
01.23.2012 , 11:19 PM | #16
I was an amatuer boxer for 3 years. I know from experiance if you lose your head in the ring and get angry it will usually lead to your opponent capitalizing and you getting your *** kicked.
Who touched my Wookiee?!?!

Fyurii
01.23.2012 , 11:50 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by ZillaB View Post
I was an amatuer boxer for 3 years. I know from experiance if you lose your head in the ring and get angry it will usually lead to your opponent capitalizing and you getting your *** kicked.
Surrendering to anger instead of using it.

Surrender to your anger, and you get your bum handed to you on silver platter.
Use it, focus it, and it allows you do perform above your expectations. Unfortunately only for a limited time due to the increased physical demands of the body that tire you more quickly than remaining calm.
________║≤o≥║___________
/_______TROOPER___≡≡≡≡≡≡≡╡
\_/‾‾‾‾ // ╝‾‾╚▄▄▄▄▄/‾‾‾‾‾

bliapis
01.23.2012 , 11:53 PM | #18
Anger will tip off your adrenalines to a high rush, making you faster, feeling less pain and fatigue.

It wont focus your mind on higher levels though.
i5 2500k OC @ 4Ghz | Thermaltek Hyper TX3 air cooler | 8gb Corsair Vengeance | Asus GTX580 CU | Asus Maximus IV GenZ/Gen3 | Thermatek 750W PSU -==- Server: Fredon Nad (EU)// Characters: [B]Vanguard L50: Clipjunkie// [B]Sentinel L50: Seithan// Juggernaur L50: Shaithis // Sorcerer L42: Rasthavas

bliapis
01.23.2012 , 11:54 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by YanksfanJP View Post
That was what Supreme Chancellor Palaptine said to Anakin Skywalker as he was trying to turn Anakin to the Dark Side.
Unarguably Palpatine was manipulating Anakin. A raged individual will be stronger for sure in physical aspects but much weaker in psychic.
i5 2500k OC @ 4Ghz | Thermaltek Hyper TX3 air cooler | 8gb Corsair Vengeance | Asus GTX580 CU | Asus Maximus IV GenZ/Gen3 | Thermatek 750W PSU -==- Server: Fredon Nad (EU)// Characters: [B]Vanguard L50: Clipjunkie// [B]Sentinel L50: Seithan// Juggernaur L50: Shaithis // Sorcerer L42: Rasthavas

MrPiiglesworth
01.24.2012 , 12:14 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by bliapis View Post
Unarguably Palpatine was manipulating Anakin. A raged individual will be stronger for sure in physical aspects but much weaker in psychic.
Correct. This is why Obi Wan was able to put Anakin in a no-win situation in episode 3. Anakin grew a large ego and felt he was invincible to anything.