Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"I can feel your anger. It gives you focus."

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
"I can feel your anger. It gives you focus."

YanksfanJP
01.23.2012 , 05:25 PM | #1
That was what Supreme Chancellor Palaptine said to Anakin Skywalker as he was trying to turn Anakin to the Dark Side.

My question for you all is this: Do you think this applies in real life too? Especially if you have any experience in athletic competitions or other venues where extreme focus is required, do you think that it's possible, and if so, is it advisable, to focus on the task at hand by channeling your anger? Do you think this is strictly a case-by-case thing where only some people can pull it off? Does it depend on certain personality traits?

What are your thoughts? If you needed to focus, would you do it the Jedi way by clearing your head of emotions, or the Sith way by using your feelings to channel extreme emotions into a "tunnel vision" of sorts?

LordRelyks
01.23.2012 , 05:27 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by YanksfanJP View Post
That was what Supreme Chancellor Palaptine said to Anakin Skywalker as he was trying to turn Anakin to the Dark Side.

My question for you all is this: Do you think this applies in real life too? Especially if you have any experience in athletic competitions or other venues where extreme focus is required, do you think that it's possible, and if so, is it advisable, to focus on the task at hand by channeling your anger? Do you think this is strictly a case-by-case thing where only some people can pull it off? Does it depend on certain personality traits?

What are your thoughts? If you needed to focus, would you do it the Jedi way by clearing your head of emotions, or the Sith way by using your feelings to channel extreme emotions into a "tunnel vision" of sorts?
Anger leads to hate, which ends up in you jumping Tebow, so no.

Wiz' Khalifa/Nevaro Kas'im from Flurry SWG.

ozirizo
01.23.2012 , 05:35 PM | #3
Anger is to Focus as Fear is to Skyscrapers.

While it is true that some suggest that it's an emotion related to survavility, it is more an instinct-related emotion than a mental-related one.

So, no.
Clio Martell / Jedi Sage / Eros Martell / Commando / Ahto City

YanksfanJP
01.23.2012 , 05:43 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by ozirizo View Post
Anger is to Focus as Fear is to Skyscrapers.

While it is true that some suggest that it's an emotion related to survavility, it is more an instinct-related emotion than a mental-related one.

So, no.
I'm not so sure - Michael Jordan is the best example I can think of. Whenever someone would piss him off, or say something he didn't like, or irritate him, or whenever he wanted to show someone up - what happened? That poor dude got 50+ points hung on him by His Airness.

Jordan always seemed to have two different modes of focus. There was the standard mode "We have to win, it's a big game, my team needs, me, I need to buckle down and be great." And as I describe above, there was "F*** YOU" mode. Both were wildly successful but he's one of the few that could do it, which is why nobody has yet been able to be the "next" Michael Jordan. His will to win was unmatched. I think that Michael was able to channel both the Light Side and the Dark Side, and use both to their full power on demand. Michael Jordan is truly the greatest Force user ever.

Samurro
01.23.2012 , 05:49 PM | #5
*epic facepalm*
Style > Skill > Stats

Darth Suffocation - Open World PVP

YanksfanJP
01.23.2012 , 06:11 PM | #6
Meh, that's what I get for trying to ask a question about focus and concentration to a bunch of people who have never participated in athletics in their lives.

Gantoris_Aym
01.23.2012 , 06:53 PM | #7
You ought to visit a therapist or psychologist.

AbelMorvant
01.23.2012 , 07:31 PM | #8
I have been training in boxing, tai kwon do and judo. I like to hit the bag a lot and believe it or not, I personally think that whenever I train out of anger I hurt myself more. I stop paying attention to my breathing, my footwork, and just want to hit as hard and fast as I can - Which sounds good and everything but I've damn near sprained my wrist because I wasn't paying much attention to the angle I was hitting the bag and my fist.

Not sure what it's like with other people who does the same kind of training, but I need to spread my focus not only on my opponent but my own body - when I'm anger I don't think reasonably and I just want to destroy.

I've been more effective in fighting when I kept a neutral mindset.

YanksfanJP
01.23.2012 , 07:36 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by AbelMorvant View Post
I have been training in boxing, tai kwon do and judo. I like to hit the bag a lot and believe it or not, I personally think that whenever I train out of anger I hurt myself more. I stop paying attention to my breathing, my footwork, and just want to hit as hard and fast as I can - Which sounds good and everything but I've damn near sprained my wrist because I wasn't paying much attention to the angle I was hitting the bag and my fist.

Not sure what it's like with other people who does the same kind of training, but I need to spread my focus not only on my opponent but my own body - when I'm anger I don't think reasonably and I just want to destroy.

I've been more effective in fighting when I kept a neutral mindset.
Thanks for the post, this is exactly the type of thing I'm talking about. I'm wondering if this is more a universal fact of being human, that our bodies work better this way, or if this actually is something that some people can do and actually be effective at it. And if so, how to tell if you're one of those people. Because if it can be done, there are probably many people who haven't realized their full potential just because all their coaches and trainers have always said "clear your head, keep your emotions in check... blahblahblah" Maybe some of those are people who CAN perform better if they channel their anger into their chosen endeavor.

Tsukae
01.23.2012 , 08:10 PM | #10
'Channeling' my anger helped in football for me, but I was on defensive line so it was mostly a help in hitting the **** out of someone to get to the ball. In any other activity I've been pissed while participating in(video games, homework, debate), it has hurt my ability to focus. I think anger helps to channel the dark side of the force which would be helpful to dark jedi, but otherwise pointless.
"Revan was power. It was like staring into the heart of the Force. Even then, you could see the Jedi he would slay etched on his soul." - Kreia