Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

WoW to SWOTR Classes Comparison thread, Help?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
WoW to SWOTR Classes Comparison thread, Help?

Faolon
12.14.2011 , 05:13 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Crogoon View Post
It's a loose comparison tho, go to the website and see the each class description and class roles. It's easy and accurate.
Yes, however, it's close enough. I'll even explain my reasoning:

Operative = Rogue
Essentially, they're a close ranged class that relies on poisons and burst damage. They'll do their best damage while incapacitating the target. Very difficult to play if you don't use all the tools available.

Sniper/Gunslinger = Hunter
This is the loosest of the comparisons. However, they all want the same thing: To keep everything at a distance so they can lay down the hurt. If you keep a hunter/Sniper in melee range, they're not without defenses, but they're nowhere near as dangerous as they would be if you let them do their thing.

Assassin/Shadow = Enhancement Shaman
They're a melee heavy class, with ranged abilities. Shock/Project essentially filling the role of the Shaman's Shocks. They'll only use their other ranged abilities when they've got a proc for it.

Sorcerer/Sage = Priest
Bubbles, ranged damage, heals. Force Lightning and Telekinetic Wave are essentially the same thing as Mind Flay.
However, there is a mix of Elemental Shaman in these two classes. With talents giving them a chance to cast a second copy of a spell for free at 50% of the damage. Also, chain lightning.

Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight = Warrior
Both pure melee classes. They've got a charge ability to close the gap, retaliation-like ability. Melee DoTs. They can throw their weapon. Not to mention the resource system is the same, even if the numbers are different.
"I will show you things... wonderful, terrible things."

DrekorSilverfang
12.14.2011 , 05:19 PM | #12
I'd say an operative is more like a Druid than a rogue. Especially considering they can heal.

wellehado
12.14.2011 , 05:49 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Mezgejas View Post
I was wondering about similar thing. How is swtor compared to minesweeper?
actualy they are more alike then you think differnce is starwars has more stuff plus a story.. the way they are alike is in mine sweep you clik on blocks and hope not to get blown up in starwas you click on mobs and blow them up

EvanSnowWolf
12.14.2011 , 05:57 PM | #14
It would appear the ad hominem made against me was deleted by a mod. I didn't know these boards were moderated yet. Good to know!

At the end of the day, anything with a melee weapon is going to get called a "warrior", anything ranged is going to get called a "mage" or "warlock" or "hunter", and anything that can heal is gonna get called a "priest".

But I wouldn't call them that. They are just too different.
"But you know how it is, cows go moo, dogs go woof, and mmo players go the pvp is unbalanced." - Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw.

BenderBending
12.14.2011 , 06:20 PM | #15
When I was playing my Sith Sorcerer over thxgiving weekend, it reminded me quite a bit of a Shadow Priest.

Twighlight
12.14.2011 , 06:41 PM | #16
From a healer perspective - frankly, there are only so many ways you can heal other players, and those of us that play healers notice skills that are similar to healing skills from other games (this is bigger than just a WoW comparison).

To say that Smuggler/IA are like rogues is a gross oversimplification. The Smuggler/IA choice gives a base set of skills, but it is the advanced class decision that will define your character. As can be seen on the ToR Head Talent Calculators, within each AC there are two completely distinct styles of play (and that's not including the shared talent tree).

So, taking Smuggler/IA as an example. There is a healing tree, a stealth melee tree, and two ranged damage trees (one is direct damage, the other is DoTs).

So, saying that an Smuggler/IA is a rogue would ignore at least three of its talent trees. The same is true as you look at all of the classes in this game. Each AC is capable of two very different playstyles.
The song ends. The song begins.
{The Constant}
Skulke - Agent - Operative - Medic

enfamous
12.15.2011 , 01:13 AM | #17
I'm so sick of hearing about WoW. This is not WoW, it won't be WoW so leave WoW out of these forums. JESUS.....

Tachycardia
12.15.2011 , 01:41 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Faolon View Post
Operative = WoW Rogue with heals
Sniper/Gunslinger = Hunter(long ranged weapon DPS)
Shadow/Assassin = Enhancement Shaman without heals, with Stealth
Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight = WoW Warrior
Sorcerer/Sage = Priest
Vanguard tanking = DK tanking

Makhbet
12.15.2011 , 06:00 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Tachycardia View Post
Vanguard tanking = DK tanking
In what universe?
Legions of Lettow EU
Banehallow Legacy

Macgyver