Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

There will NEVER be another Star Wars movie

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
There will NEVER be another Star Wars movie

gtmach
01.19.2012 , 06:18 PM | #21
I honestly feel bad. His films were spectacular. And all he did was make minor adjustments to make them feel more modern and shiny over the years. It's shameful how much bashing he's received for little updates.

It's not like he completely changed plot points and all of a sudden Vader isn't the father or something.

I know we cherish our childhood memories but is the color of the hallway Vader walked down THAT big a deal?

The core of what made the saga amazing is still intact. Only the nitpicky little attributes got modified as the years went on. And if anyone brings the movies to IMAX, or 3D, or animates them, Lucas is the guy to do it.

The quality is not subpar at all. It's always excellent with whatever medium he pursues. Maybe the material may seem kiddy at times like the Clone Wars, but it's high-quality animation.

Still high quality stuff. Still a great saga. Too bad we focus too much on the little things.

krakken
01.19.2012 , 06:18 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by xGBox View Post
George Lucas is the greatest salesman on the planet. The fact that he can sell the same **** from 1977 like 25 times in various mediums and collector's editions and add in some special effects, special features, and high definition FOR OVER 35 YEARS is impressive.
Why bother a new one when you can sell the old one in new packages...you left out the new releases in 3d.

TBH the best movie he could make now would be the trek of Boba Fett starting with his fathers death to his almost death at the sarlac.
BH from the word go.....and here is a video of my killing technique.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuigcXvcy1A

darthdoll
01.19.2012 , 06:19 PM | #23
Why continue to make things that people hate?

How many of you hate the prequels?

How many of you hate george and think all his movie are crap?

Why should he make more star wars?

There will not be another star wars at all, thanks to all the haters.

Apocryphas
01.19.2012 , 06:19 PM | #24
George Lucas also stated the world would end in 2012. I don't think he's all together there anymore.
(█|▀▀/‾‾‾‾‾|███████████████████████████████████████

GeoLager
01.19.2012 , 06:20 PM | #25
The Star Wars IP is too big for Lucas to sit on forever and for him to take it to his grave.

He will give the rights out for someone to make more movies or when he passes and LucasFilms is absorbed by another production company, more movies will be made.

DarthBloodloss
01.19.2012 , 06:21 PM | #26
Never say Never.

Starting now.
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

Shaddaq
01.19.2012 , 06:30 PM | #27
"It's not like he completely changed plot points and all of a sudden Vader isn't the father or something.

I know we cherish our childhood memories but is the color of the hallway Vader walked down THAT big a deal?"

Hello,

If we are going to discuss this honestly, some changes were much more important than hallway color, and they did substantially alter- if not plot points- then characters.

I hate to drag out the old 'Han shot first' thing, but the character of Han Solo (and the ability to suspend disbelief in that scene) is substantially impaired by attempts to re-edit events to be more politically correct.
-Shaddaq (IBM PC/XT, 640k RAM, Argent EGA Adaptor, 2x5.25" Floppies.)

"If you Wrong Us, Shall we not Revenge?"
-Shylock, Merchant of Venice, by William Shakespeare

origional
01.19.2012 , 06:30 PM | #28
I'm more than happy for there to be no more films.

I'm a huge fan of the first three films and yes, i'm a fanboy of the origional three, though I like a lot of what he did with the re-releases, just not the stupid energy rings when Alderaan and the Death Star explode and, of course, Han shot first.

The prequels were ok but not great. Didnt like the acting of Anakin and hated all the cliched and repeatative scripting. Couldnt they think of anything else other than 'I have a bad feeling about this' and 'my young padawan'?

I just dont think he could ever capture the magic of the first two films which I'll always rank as two of the best films ever made, particularly the Empire Strikes Back.

A TV Show? hmm, well I like the cartoon series. Something to listen too in the back grond but a tv show? Can't think of any tv show spin off's from classic films that were any good.
George Lucas: I told you the game was called Star Wars. Bioware: You sure? We thought you said Stun Wars
Republic General on Imperial Favouritism: We can't win. If we strike them down Bioware will just make them more powerful than we could possibly imagine.

veevito
01.19.2012 , 06:36 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Eldren View Post
George Lucas has had a variety of different things to say on Star Wars over the years. He admittedly took quite a beating with the prequels, but it isn't because the movies were as awful as some said (though even I'll admit Jar Jar Binks is an abomination; the Gungans in general, however, are kinda cool), it's because the media when Episode I came out was a very different animal than it was in 1977 when Star Wars was released. In addition, the moviegoing public had a much greater exposure to effects-heavy blockbusters than people had in the late 70s and early 80s.

At one point Lucas was hinting his intention for Star Wars to be a 9-part series, with intentions to give us the story of Luke's full restoration of the Jedi Order after Episode VI, as well as his father's story in Episodes I-III. We've gotten the latter. The former was mentioned again a few years ago where Lucas indicated that if he did Episodes VII-IX, he wouldn't be basing them off Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy, which is widely held to be as close to a canonical Episode VII, VIII and IX as we're going to get, ignoring that a lot happened between the Battle of Endor and the time when Thrawn became an issue.

Right now, he's busy giving us 3D versions of Episodes I-III in the theaters; he's indicated it'll take about a year of post-production work on each film, meaning we'll have Episode I in 3D this March, and the next two re-releases in 2013 and 2014 respectively. Given that it took a total of 9 years to put out the prequels, this is a fairly fast release schedule.

He won't live forever, of course, but I figure he very likely has 3 more Star Wars movies in him, and while he'll (of course) take shots from the fanbase for whatever he does with them (if they wind up being the rumored Episodes VII-IX, he'll have to use different actors for everyone from the original trilogy; Harrison Ford alone ain't lookin' too spry, and Mark Hamill hasn't been good for much more than voiceover work in animated super hero shows for the past decade), he'll still rake in unconscionable amounts of profit from them and their ancillary tie-ins (even if he winds up invalidating a majority of the Expanded Universe novels we've had over the past 20 years).
I agree with alot of what you said. I, personally, would love episodes 7-9 to be based strongly on Zahn's books. The ancillary stuff before that and in between is TV series fodder.

I would agree that any other person would never give up making 3 more movies, if for nothing other than the sheer profit. But, I find it hard to believe that Lucas finds the dangle of more money as a motive. This is assuming that he has more than many generations of his family will ever have a need for at this point.

So, new movies will have to be done because of a passion for them, not the profit motive. Don't know if he has that anymore. Maybe he does.

Or if he just doesn't want to deal with the monstrous undertaking of making more movies, which is understandable, then hopefully he has the humility to allow others who possess that passion to do so. And give a worthy candidate the rights to continue on with his story.
How shall I ever understand this world? There is nothing on which it is so hard as poverty, and yet, there is nothing it condemns with such severity as the pursuit of wealth.

-Scrooge

Wilddancer
01.19.2012 , 06:36 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by darthdoll View Post
Why continue to make things that people hate?

How many of you hate the prequels?

How many of you hate george and think all his movie are crap?

Why should he make more star wars?

There will not be another star wars at all, thanks to all the haters.
I dont hate the prequels, just watched all of them on bluray and im even more in love with the genre than ever.

I dont hate the guy or his films, you need to chose better wording than "hate".

Because people will watch it anyway. People went and saw all the prequels that they supposedly hated. Many fans bought the prequels.I think it would be awesome to see luke skywalker restore the jedi order on film. Not everyone has played all the games that elaborate on the story. Im not one of those fans who got butthurt because they changed things. I hate it when people assume that everyone hated the prequels. I thought they were great and i loved EP III.