Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Scoundrel/Operative least played? Why?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Scoundrel/Operative least played? Why?

Karkais
01.19.2012 , 06:53 PM | #11
I thought operative and smuggler are not played much due to their "master of all trades"-playing style? They are not as simple as classes that are clearely damage or healing etc.

Quote: Originally Posted by michaelra View Post
It's just that.... it looks so much cooler when you are flanging that lightsaber during cut-scenes or when people admire you so much for being a "Jedi" or a "Sith" lol
In regards to this, I had seen many times sorcerers open the last door in black talon with force lightning, due to our group being mostly sorcerers. When it was finally the bounty hunters turn, he just punched the door open. That was cool too

(the last person who clicks the door in black talon gets to open it in the cutscene)
"Their strength became my own. Their minds became my own. All flesh is my flesh. None move, save I will it. This is the rule the Sith were promised, and I have made it real!"
- From the codex of Karness Muur

Volto
01.19.2012 , 06:55 PM | #12
Or when you...
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
...yeah

AND YOU SHOOT THREE HUTTS IN A DAY WITH A PISTOL.
The Orzhov Legacy

MilkPudding
01.19.2012 , 08:26 PM | #13
Scoundrel's least played? Wow... my guild must have been an exception.

Guurzak
01.19.2012 , 11:18 PM | #14
Gunslingers/Snipers are the least played class.

Tristik
01.20.2012 , 12:04 AM | #15
~~
I think Ops take a bit longer than other classes to 'feel' right. I think many people start leveling them, feel like their skill set is jumbled and unfocused, and then stop playing them. They do take a bit of hybrid type style to play early one when the skill sets aren't quite focused in yet which I think turns people off.
~~

hindsc
01.20.2012 , 12:59 AM | #16
Operatives are AMAZINGLY FUN to play. The storyline is kind've lackluster (at least to me) after Chapter 1, but I really enjoy the mechanics of the class. I'm playing full Medicine and I wreck face in both PVE flashpoints and PVP, and his solo ability is relatively good with Kaliyo tanking.

The mechanics of the class are, in my opinion, one of those intriguing aspects of the Operative. Balancing your energy rate, EP5 and maintaining consistent HoTs on a target is a fun game of balance and quick thinking.. and while it's relatively easy to do now, it takes some time for people to get used to that are new to the MMO healing scene. In PVP, I have yet to have anyone top me in heal meters. I absolutely destroy them, and generally can keep any target alive unless they're getting severely focused by the opposing team. Always get the MVP vote usually for it too.

Honestly, we all should've known Sith/Jedi were going to get the most love from the playerbase but the game is still new and people still are going to be rerolling, making alts, etc. I personally like being a minority class, and I've got plenty of whispers after runs with people in flashpoints and/or warzones telling me that they want to make an Operative because they see how bad *** they are (at least in the healing perspective).

TrollBerzerker
01.20.2012 , 01:24 AM | #17
The problem is that the primary thing that the operative/scoundrel does isn't heavily advertised. The gunslinger class is much more prolific in the marketing than the scoundrel, and the same goes for the sniper to the operative. The gunslinger and operative also have a clearly defined weapon they use - dual pistols for the slinger, and sniper rifle for the sniper. Both of those weapons are cool and very appealing.

But what does the scoundrel/operative do? I picked scoundrel and I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I didn't know I could become a healer, and I didn't know that I used a shotgun to backstab. The fact I had a heal spec shocked the hell out of me, and I basically nerdgasmed the first time I shot my shotgun into someone's back. I fell in love with my class after going into it blind.

Hell, it surprised me more when I learned that healing seemed to be what they want me to do as a scoundrel based on the gear itemized for me I've found while leveling. The class description when you get to 10 says they can heal, but it's more of an afterthought. Like 'oh and you can heal too'

The class videos did nothing to help with this problem, either.

Then there's the other problem with sith, jedi, stormtroopers and boba fett being more interesting to most people than smuggler and agent. Hell, agent doesn't even have a character from the movies to represent him, you have to look outside of star wars to get examples of what the agent is.

So when you combine a character archtype that isn't appealing to most people with a class role that wasn't clearly defined by bioware, you get the least played class in the game.

edit: removed opening paragraph because I misunderstood the sentence I quoted

Avia
01.20.2012 , 04:59 AM | #18
No, no all of your replies are wrong.

They are played so little because they are totally OP and everyone doesn't want to play EZ-mode.

...what, I'm totally serious. You agree with me, right guys? Right?

il-jumper
01.20.2012 , 05:14 AM | #19
I'm sorry but Sniper/Gunslinger is least played

Sun-Runner
01.20.2012 , 05:58 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Avia View Post
No, no all of your replies are wrong.

They are played so little because they are totally OP and everyone doesn't want to play EZ-mode.

...what, I'm totally serious. You agree with me, right guys? Right?
Totally!
Stop nerfing my PVE because of your PVP!