Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The 45 Year and Older Professional Club

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
The 45 Year and Older Professional Club

VanGaalen
06.22.2012 , 10:24 AM | #531
You're never to old to play.

....64 here.

Alephia
06.22.2012 , 01:54 PM | #532
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Pappy View Post
Every once in a while it dawns on me that I am teaming with folks that weren't even born when I bought the socks I am wearing. I know this as I often team with my three sons. As a 47 year-old professional who leads a multi-million dollar project for a large corporation, I am sure that many of my co-workers would be shocked if they knew that when I get home I log on to SWTOR and pretend that I am a Master Jedi for 2-3 hours. Not that it bothers me. It keeps me young in mind and heart.

It got me to thinking, "How many others out there are like me?" I'm sure I'm not the oldest player out there. So, if you fall into the geriatric crowd within SWTOR, give a shout out with your age and profession. It will be cool to know who is out there.
We've got you beat--I am 59 and my husband 52. I play more than he does and am devoted to the game with 13 characters at this time. Hub just made an interesting observation about "mature" guilds, that sometimes it is an excuse for the players to indulge in foul language and off-color/racist jokes. No idea how true that is. Neither of us belongs to a guild.

Sauska
06.23.2012 , 08:02 AM | #533
Quote: Originally Posted by Alephia View Post
Hub just made an interesting observation about "mature" guilds, that sometimes it is an excuse for the players to indulge in foul language and off-color/racist jokes. No idea how true that is.
Interesting that your hubby believes mature could possibly sometimes be the same as "foul language and off-color/racist jokes". Because it's not, and often also a reason to kick someone from a mature guild.
The Borealis Legacy

Revcis
06.24.2012 , 06:22 AM | #534
I'm 48 and have been playing video games longer than most of the community has been alive. Spent alot of my youth in the arcade pumping quarters into machines.
What the devs don't understand is we are the ones that will be playing this games for years.
While the 20 somethings with their OCD have moved on to something else. The younger generation is allways looking for something better and instant satisfication.
The gameing community has changed and there will never be another WOW game again. When the older players stop playing , is when the MMORPG's will dissapear and the game companies will be wondering what happened?

StormChanter
06.24.2012 , 05:07 PM | #535
Ack I am in the older than dirt club. I am 55 soon to be 56. Am retired after making Portinium in the PBM (Play by Mail Field precursor to online gaming) back in the early 90's. I still keep my mind active by playing the mmo's and Old Republic is the only game I play Currently. Started playing in a game group of about 20 kids back when I was 11, with napoleonics and seapower. Then moved up to ssi games and avalon hill games. Also played sports and tryed to keep well rounded playing hockey never skating before the age of 44, and played in the Delta bc easter tournament getting my first goal 2 years later in 2003 against Portland. Ended up playing third line center the last two years of my 5 year run at something new.

The last couple of years I've been keeping busy doing fan films for the love of gaming and for free for the love of gaming. Just to keep my mind active. I do not look 55, I don't act 55, and next month when i turn 56 I'll still be a gamer. When i get confronted on it from time to time, because I really do look much younger, and dress much younger, or they think I just washed up on the beach because I like to look casual and scruffy. lol

Sometimes I have to bring out the Portinium game books which are 198 pages fully illustrated. Just had to do that at a party here on the coast with a guy from Noah who's dad works at bethesda or one of the lawyers or something. The Noah observer said i never heard of it, I said you want me to get the books for you. I live three miles a way. He said yea. I gave them to him, and let him check them out for an hour as I mingled. He comes back up and said dude this is the precursor to online gaming, these are brilliant. I said thank you. He said can i show my dad, and I said sure, love of the game man!

Either that or have to pull out my ID say i am retired and not special needs and they change pants and call me sir!!! Usually!!! lol

You never know who you are going to meet and just based on looks as I am supposedly old now due to my age, doesn't mean I can't be a good guy and have fun like everyone else enjoying the newest in MMO's. Life has it's perks sometimes!!! Does not matter what age as long as you go for what you believe in and enjoy the moment which is all that matters!!!

This is my latest attempt at a fan film Star Wars Old Republic Rp Style karraga's Palace:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wi_b8A-C60

rumpleseq
06.24.2012 , 07:55 PM | #536
36 y/o emt
Look, Sir. Droids!

fudoshi
06.25.2012 , 03:33 AM | #537
im 70 years old

garionkane
06.25.2012 , 11:15 AM | #538
45 and Proud!. West Coast Public Sector worker.

Like the poster, I sometimes have trouble with those darn young whipper snappers! I tend to be more laid back and look to enjoy the game, those that I have played with that i found out are the younger crowd seem to be much more aggressive in their play style. Such is life!
Garion Kane - World Survivor
Server: The Ebon Hawk
Gulld: Imperial: House Kowasu (Shared with Steadfast Guild)
Guild: Republic: Steadfast

JaeOnasi
06.29.2012 , 08:56 AM | #539
Quote: Originally Posted by Sauska View Post
Interesting that your hubby believes mature could possibly sometimes be the same as "foul language and off-color/racist jokes". Because it's not, and often also a reason to kick someone from a mature guild.
In the Older Republic, foul language is right out, as are racist/off-color jokes. Too many of us have kids in earshot. Now, mind you, a few naughty swear words might escape our lips late at night after some wine and fierce PvP battles....
However, we strive to keep it clean.

Sjuvat
06.29.2012 , 09:01 AM | #540
Quote: Originally Posted by iTz_Red View Post
I don't want to sound like an ***, but why?

I'm 21 and I feel like people around my age are in the "prime" so to speak, for playing this game or other video games. Since most kids are playing games they can't even purchase without a parent. I still find it very cool that older folks can find fun in video games, but a lot of you could be my parents and I would be embarrassed if my parents were playing this game with me. Maybe that's just me or the lifestyle I have. I just wonder if there should be a time to stop playing video games.

I go to college, have a part time job and now, I'm finding myslef barely even getting around to this game. When I was 12, I used to be a huge MMO and colsole gamer, but now that I'm getting older, I'm finding most these games to be quite silly. I love Star Wars, but I can't seem myslef playing this type of game when I'm 40 and have kids.

So again, I'm just wondering why? I don't want to be an ***, I just want to know what causes you to play games like this when you're over 30 or 40 or whatever.
Ageism?? Clueless??

We do it to have fun!!