Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Combat Medic PvE Guide (Updated for 1.2)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
Combat Medic PvE Guide (Updated for 1.2)

Mukh
01.19.2012 , 09:33 PM | #21
This thread needs a sticky . . . it's a really useful set of information and I'll be basing a lot of decisions I make for my new alt on this.

Keep up the good work

RuQu
01.19.2012 , 11:07 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by jedistreen View Post
is CM really viable for solo play? The sound of grav round haunts me at night, and I mainly do solo PvE/PvP.
Yes, it's absolutely viable solo. I switched to Gunnery for about 30 minutes around Tattoine, and I switched back. Sure I killed faster, but Dorne just couldn't keep me alive well enough. As CM, I could keep me and a pet alive while also doing dps 50-75% of the time.

For some quest bosses Commando has more trouble than any other AC because we lack an interrupt with a lockout, which those fights are all designed around (there is a Dev post stating this design for fights that I can dig up if necessary). Our only options are to dps the boss down so fast they don't get to use it many times, while not having more dps than other dps specs, or just healing through that massive damage that everyone but us can avoid. I recommend using a dps pet for those fights and just healing through the huge damage as best you can..

With the exception of lockout based fights that our AC designers clearly screwed up in overlooking our interrupt, we are unkillable solo machines. I got stuck in a long chain of double team elites where a new one kept patrolling into me as I got knocked around by some Sith, and, it took about 15 minutes, but I killed them all. In-combat long CC and using cooldowns we can do some impressive things.

I really wish we had a proper interrupt like every other AC though.

RuQu
01.19.2012 , 11:10 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Mukh View Post
This thread needs a sticky . . . it's a really useful set of information and I'll be basing a lot of decisions I make for my new alt on this.

Keep up the good work
Thanks. I'll try and get some updates in around Sunday. Busy past few days and tomorrow, and driving 700 miles on Saturday, but I should get some down time Sunday to put in some more work. This has been stickied on the Healer forum, but it really needs to either also be stickied here, or have a pointer thread stickied here so people know to go to the healer forum for this info, and another pointer should be on the Trooper (non-Commando) forum. Having all these forums spread around that cover related topics can make it so someone just picks wrong and doesn't see the info that is available because they didn't know/think to look somewhere else. I honestly didnt even know there was a Commando specific forum until after I'd tossed a copy of this on the general Trooper page.

RuQu
01.20.2012 , 10:13 AM | #24
Was really sick last night and couldn't sleep, so I got some work done on this.

Enjoy:

Added a calculator with just over 2 minutes of assumed rotation that calculates stat weights. Link and more explanation are in Post #3 on Page 1.

Triglet
01.20.2012 , 11:28 AM | #25
Great guide, this and the other one posted pushed me to respec to medic from Gunnery. At 32 currently, and with M1-4X kitted out in cyber blues we're pretty much un-killable by anything once I got a handle on the rotation. Love not getting bored with the constant grav round spam...

Food for thought -- I think it would help leveling people to have a suggested point allocation. For example, at my level I couldn't decide on whether to throw points into ironsights for the 9% aim buff, or to go deeper into the medic tree. I know the guide is mainly setup for play at 50 so this would be more of an afterthought I suppose. Just an idea.

Great work!

RuQu
01.20.2012 , 11:42 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Triglet View Post
Great guide, this and the other one posted pushed me to respec to medic from Gunnery. At 32 currently, and with M1-4X kitted out in cyber blues we're pretty much un-killable by anything once I got a handle on the rotation. Love not getting bored with the constant grav round spam...

Food for thought -- I think it would help leveling people to have a suggested point allocation. For example, at my level I couldn't decide on whether to throw points into ironsights for the 9% aim buff, or to go deeper into the medic tree. I know the guide is mainly setup for play at 50 so this would be more of an afterthought I suppose. Just an idea.

Great work!
I'd recommend going all the way up Combat Medic first. Your bonus healing from aim isn't level dependent, and that 9% boost is a lot stronger at higher levels. You also have the benefit of gaining more abilities as you progress up the CM tree.

Typing this in on my iPhone right now so I'll keep it short, but I'll try and add a leveling section.

Lileth
01.20.2012 , 11:50 AM | #27
Posted in the other thread figure I'd share here as well.

My Spec Here

HM 5/5 EV
HM 5/5 Karaga's Palace
-Starting Nightmare's on Sunday.

We run 3x8 mans as we don't find 16 to be worth it. They drop the same loot, just more of it...

5% Healing on Kolto Bomb is not worth it imo. You can't control who will get the buff in a group of people and can be wasted on someone that is already full health. And you can't keep it up on the entire raid. I'd rather having increased healing to myself. If I or my heal partner can heal me back up to full faster than we can go back to healing others faster as well. Alive healers are better healers. Our heal team is Me (Commando) and a Sage.

I've tried both Spamming AMP, and the AMP > MP Combo. After numerous runs, I stick to the more efficient AMP > MP Combo. I pop SCC then will AMP one person, then either MP them or someone else who is lower health. Always healing the lowest person 1st. AMP > MP is far more efficient and more desirable as it ensures I keep a high Ammo regen. Sages are going to out AE Raid heal you anyway.

When healing raid wide damage the Armor Buff from AMP on everyone doesn't do anything unless you are the tank, the buff will be gone by the next incoming raid wide damage. You are correct you must heal everyone up to the minumium. And when push comes to shove I ensure I have the Ammo to do so.
Lurko Zul
Juyo Server

Sheridyn
01.20.2012 , 11:56 AM | #28
Have been doing some number crunching based on my stats in a mixture of Columi and Rakata gear. While the value of Crit Rating and Surge fluctuates depending on several factors, there seems to be a sweet spot at ~180 Crit rating and ~225 Surge. This will vary depending on how much Aim/Cunning you have (because these also affect crit chance). This assumes use of a blue stim (104 aim and 43 power - I'm not biochem) and having full class buffs.

So what does this mean? What you'll almost certainly find is you have a lot more than 180 crit. It's on pretty much all of our gear. This immediately makes Surge your best stat per point by far. Once you're sitting at around 220 Surge, Aim becomes your best stat. Why? Because Aim accounts for both Healing Bonus and Crit Chance, so it edges out Power. At some point Power will surpass Aim in weighting, but I don't think we'll even see this once people are full Rakata.

tl;dr Stack Surge to 220-250 and drop Crit Rating for Power wherever you can. Aim > Power.

Chuck_Diesel
01.20.2012 , 12:02 PM | #29
Excellent guide, I really appreciate your efforts!

Zalekanzer
01.20.2012 , 12:43 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Chuck_Diesel View Post
Excellent guide, I really appreciate your efforts!

I just wanted to point out that your skill calculator is out of date, there is no +alacrity in the Assault tree.

I recommend the calculator on Torhead, and will now shamelessly plug my CM build:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800rfRMRdcdzqZrco.1
I am in-game, staring at my skill trees. Believe me, Weapon Calibrations is still in the Assault tree.
Don't know where you got your information... >_>
<The Harbinger> Anzer Katzin Requiel Zevka Katzera