Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Combat Medic PvE Guide (Updated for 1.2)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Trooper > Commando
Combat Medic PvE Guide (Updated for 1.2)

Fishcatch
01.16.2012 , 02:51 AM | #11
Yeah, Trauma Probe is an important part of your toolkit and should be up on your main healing target (usually the tank) all the time... It makes keeping your main healing target alive that much easier. I've never pulled aggro becuase of it, I usually only pull aggro on loose mobs.
I am The Argent Trooper, Knight of the Old Republic
▯█!▉ℶℶℶ[]ℶℶℶ█!██████████████████████████)

RuQu
01.18.2012 , 12:06 AM | #12
shameless bump

VorusKets
01.18.2012 , 09:43 AM | #13
RuQu, Thanks for starting this thread and keeping it going. Lvl 42 Commando here, same spec as you outlined in your original post. I haven't run many flashpoints since Hammer Station so that being noted:

Currently I'm currently running the lvl 40 PVP RB-15 gear with power as the focus.
Previously I wasn't running a set of armor, but the focus with attachments was crit.

Now the set of armor could make a difference, however I feel that aim > power > crit > surge allows me to not scramble nearly as much as I did with the armor I put together that focused on crit. again, this could also be the difference between a 'set' and a piecemeal conglomeration.

With my current set, toss a few heals out, set the medical probe on someone, target the mob or enemy we're focusing on, hammer shot the mob/enemy a bit, repeat heals. I don't trigger Super Charge cells unless I REALLY need to get a bunch of players back up in health. I don't have a problem managing ammo, although occasionally I've felt the need to use recharge.

TL;DR - I guess you can put me in the group that likes to have power higher than crit on the greater than scale.

Lileth
01.18.2012 , 10:17 AM | #14
RuQu this is a great guide to start. Allow me to add some raid experience.

Power> Alacrity > Crit > Surge.

Currently my guild runs 3x8 man raids. 16 aren't worth it right now as 8 man's drop the same loot. 16's just drop more...of the same loot.

We are currently EV 4/5 Hardmood and Hutt 1/1 Hardmode. We would be 5/5 but SOA buggs on us everytime it seems with lightning ball going underground and zapping someone. It's hard to avoid if you can't see it and enrage timer comes fast. I'll update after we kill the 4 new bosses going into Hutt tonight to see if other mechanics may change my thoughts.

In my experience and opinion HPS (Heals per second) are what matter the most. The reason being is you have to keep the raid over 50% health at most of the time. Most bosses are Huge incoming burst, followed by a brief rest period. You will spam MP allot. There is no way around this as you can't wait for AMP, and saving Bacta for when you need to burst heal someone back up, like after they have been thrown around the room. Saving SCC for when the next incoming burst happens.

The last 10% of the 1st Droid boss in EV is a prime example of OMG we are all going to die.

Also, the set bonuses on Combat Medic Gear Reduces cooldown of AMP (1.5 second reduction) and Bacta Infustion (3 second reduction) as well as the increased duration of SCC, make it a much more attractive set to pick up. Swapping mod's could be an option however, I don't have 2 full sets of Rakkata yet or enough level 58 mods to try this as much.

I also have 8 stupid epic relics that i can do some testing with if needed. Yes 8...
Lurko Zul
Juyo Server

RuQu
01.18.2012 , 12:59 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by VorusKets View Post
RuQu, Thanks for starting this thread and keeping it going. Lvl 42 Commando here, same spec as you outlined in your original post. I haven't run many flashpoints since Hammer Station so that being noted:

Currently I'm currently running the lvl 40 PVP RB-15 gear with power as the focus.
Previously I wasn't running a set of armor, but the focus with attachments was crit.

Now the set of armor could make a difference, however I feel that aim > power > crit > surge allows me to not scramble nearly as much as I did with the armor I put together that focused on crit. again, this could also be the difference between a 'set' and a piecemeal conglomeration.

With my current set, toss a few heals out, set the medical probe on someone, target the mob or enemy we're focusing on, hammer shot the mob/enemy a bit, repeat heals. I don't trigger Super Charge cells unless I REALLY need to get a bunch of players back up in health. I don't have a problem managing ammo, although occasionally I've felt the need to use recharge.

TL;DR - I guess you can put me in the group that likes to have power higher than crit on the greater than scale.
I just ran a test using the set stats given in the theory crafting section(basically full Tionese). Adding 1 crit rating averages to the equivalent of 0.1004 Bonus Healing. Adding 1 Power adds, as expected since it is linear, 0.17 bonus healing PLUS 0.0987 from the increased size of your crits, for a total of 0.2687 Bonus Healing gained from Power. Once I get a better handle on the healing spell coefficients and can model those better I might reevaluate, but it looks like, in full Tionese, Power is 2.67 times better than crit. I don't have time to do it right now, but I'll try and update the theory section and the stats section accordingly.

RuQu
01.18.2012 , 01:53 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Lileth View Post
RuQu this is a great guide to start. Allow me to add some raid experience.

Power> Alacrity > Crit > Surge.

Currently my guild runs 3x8 man raids. 16 aren't worth it right now as 8 man's drop the same loot. 16's just drop more...of the same loot.

We are currently EV 4/5 Hardmood and Hutt 1/1 Hardmode. We would be 5/5 but SOA buggs on us everytime it seems with lightning ball going underground and zapping someone. It's hard to avoid if you can't see it and enrage timer comes fast. I'll update after we kill the 4 new bosses going into Hutt tonight to see if other mechanics may change my thoughts.

In my experience and opinion HPS (Heals per second) are what matter the most. The reason being is you have to keep the raid over 50% health at most of the time. Most bosses are Huge incoming burst, followed by a brief rest period. You will spam MP allot. There is no way around this as you can't wait for AMP, and saving Bacta for when you need to burst heal someone back up, like after they have been thrown around the room. Saving SCC for when the next incoming burst happens.

The last 10% of the 1st Droid boss in EV is a prime example of OMG we are all going to die.

Also, the set bonuses on Combat Medic Gear Reduces cooldown of AMP (1.5 second reduction) and Bacta Infustion (3 second reduction) as well as the increased duration of SCC, make it a much more attractive set to pick up. Swapping mod's could be an option however, I don't have 2 full sets of Rakkata yet or enough level 58 mods to try this as much.

I also have 8 stupid epic relics that i can do some testing with if needed. Yes 8...
Power and Crit also increase Heals Per Second, but the trick with alacrity/haste has always been to get it up high enough that someone who needed healing but would be fine with a heal wasn't dead before you finished casting said heal. I'm not saying to avoid it like the plague...just that others may prove better.

*edit*Nevermind, I found the coefficients and other modifiers on Torhead.

Mecho_Rykspin
01.19.2012 , 02:13 AM | #17
Good work. Finally someone wrote a good looking guide in this category.

Kazalix
01.19.2012 , 02:26 AM | #18
Additional point I just found out bebopping around with my Trooper: Combat Support Cell gives a passive 1% damage and healing boost, independent of how much Supercharge you have. In case you were wondering, Supercharge gives the standard 3% on top of the 1% you get from CSC.
Server: Master Zhar Lestin
Characters:
Nixer - 50 Commando - Combat Medic

Mangrol
01.19.2012 , 07:00 AM | #19
Great guide! Im probably going down the Power > Crit > Surge path. Only 32 so far so i haven't really had the choices yet tho.

jedistreen
01.19.2012 , 05:22 PM | #20
is CM really viable for solo play? The sound of grav round haunts me at night, and I mainly do solo PvE/PvP.