Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Update and Information Request: Error Code 9000

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Update and Information Request: Error Code 9000
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JenHarkness
01.11.2012 , 04:51 PM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi guys! Thank you for helping us in trying to track down these issues. We are actively working on the disconnects, and I wanted to take a minute to update you all on what we’ve been up to, what our plans are for the next steps, and what additional information we’d like to get from you.

First, let me tell you a bit about Error Code 9000 – unfortunately, it’s a pretty generic error. It means that for some reason, the server hasn’t heard from the client for over 30 seconds. That’s why a lot of you are seeing the latency meter go into the red just before the disconnect happens, because the connection isn’t getting information through. However, that means that there can be any number of reasons that the error can show up. It could be something on our end like a flaky router, something on your end like a bad wireless or antivirus, or something in between like an ISP throttling traffic. For all the people posting here, there are probably dozens of different causes, but we do think that there is one issue that is hitting most people, which shows up as repeated disconnects every few minutes with a latency spike just before the disconnect.

Over the last few weeks, we’ve been tweaking some of our network parameters to try to isolate the specific networking errors and also adding a lot of debugging information to our logs. Our goal is to correlate who gets hit by the problems, when they get hit, and what things they have in common. We’ve got another change we’re going to be trying soon (we have to make sure we don’t break things while we’re fixing other things) but we’d also like to get some additional information from you guys. We’ve got a new and much more specific list to fill out, and the last item is particularly important. We’d like to pick a few tech-savvy folks to get contacted by our networking and server engineers and walk through some debugging steps to try to nail down where the issue is happening. If you’re willing to work with us, please let us know on this thread and we’ll contact you to follow up. (CS will have any info that we’ll need).

Believe me, we want to get this resolved and we’re doing everything we can to try to make that happen!

Information we need:

1. Name of the server where you encounter disconnects
2. Day and time of a 1-2 hour block where you disconnected on average more than once every 15 minutes. (remember to tell us timezone!) We’re looking these up in the logs, so the more specific you can be the better!
3. Have you been receiving the disconnects continually? Are they during particular times of the day? Has it been consistent since launch? Do they tend to group up?
4. How reliably can you reproduce the disconnects? 100%? 75%?
5. Are you on a wired or wireless connection? If wireless, what brand and model of router are you using?
6. Do you share the network connection with others? If so, do they play SWTOR, and have they also experienced disconnects? Are their disconnects at the same time as yours?
7. What version of Windows are you running? Are you running 32 or 64 bit?
8. Are you running any antivirus or firewall programs or any other network filtering program?
9. Would you be willing to be contacted by a BioWare developer and work through some debugging steps hands on with us (most likely via phone)? If so, what timezone are you in?

Jen Harkness
Senior Server Programmer

Darzil
01.11.2012 , 05:21 PM | #2
It's not to the format, and I've only once had a disconnect issue, but it was yesterday evening, between 8pm and 9pm I believe. According to pingplotter it was due to the link between Virgin Media and Telia in London failing for around 2 minutes. Once it came back we were able to log on and play the rest of the night with no issues.

Rukhwraith
01.11.2012 , 05:22 PM | #3
Darth Sion

2. Day and time of a 1-2 hour block where you disconnected on average more than once every 15 minutes. (remember to tell us timezone!) We’re looking these up in the logs, so the more specific you can be the better!
1/10/12 7:00 am - 9:00 am MST

3. Have you been receiving the disconnects continually? Are they during particular times of the day? Has it been consistent since launch? Do they tend to group up?
Steady disconnects throughout the day

100%

5. Are you on a wired or wireless connection? If wireless, what brand and model of router are you using?
Wireless Trendnet TEW652BRP

6. Do you share the network connection with others? If so, do they play SWTOR, and have they also experienced disconnects? Are their disconnects at the same time as yours?
No

Win7 64Bit

8. Are you running any antivirus or firewall programs or any other network filtering program?
No firewalls or filters

9. Would you be willing to be contacted by a BioWare developer and work through some debugging steps hands on with us (most likely via phone)? If so, what timezone are you in?
Absolutely - Mountain time zone

JovethGonzalez
01.11.2012 , 05:27 PM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Please try to only respond to this thread by answering these questions, as formatted. This will help us look through the responses much faster. Thank you!

Aezikial
01.11.2012 , 05:28 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by JenHarkness View Post

First of all woah, thats exactly what most people are wanting to know

1. I don't think it really matters what server I log into it hits me with the 9000s, But I do most of my play on the server Zez Kai Ell.

2. Today I got a nice period of latency bars for about three quarters of an hour before it started hitting me with the disconnects. This was 19:00pm to 21:00pm GMT.

3. Disconnects tend to group up and hit you all at once, somtimes they can be spaced out but once you have one your far more likely to have multiple in the next 10 to 20 mins. I've been having disconnects like this since I started playing the game january 1st or there abouts.

4. I have it 100% regularity every day. Sometimes of freak days I can play all day its only happened once to date though can't remember when it was though.

5. Wireless network, Router brand: USR robotics, model: 9111

6. No I do not share the network with other players.

7.Windows Vista 32bit version.

8. Just plain old windows firewall, with windows security essentials.

9. Not sure about that one its abit late now, I'm GMT scotland so I doubt anyone working in america will be up and about ready to get into an involved conversation. If needed then e-mail me.

TaramCaldar
01.11.2012 , 05:29 PM | #6

I play mostly on Kath Hound but when I play on Shein I get it there too.

I don't normally get clusters of disconnects but since the last patch (monday?) I have noticed I get disconnected a LOT when in groups... solo I can go hours with no problem (But still do get error 9000 from time to time) but in groups it's very common for me to get disconnected multiple times in a row. Note: This is a recent development since the most recent update patch. Prior to that my connection never blipped, even in groups, except for the rare (every 1 or 2, sometimes 3, hour disconnects).... since the update anytime I group I can pretty much guarantee at least 1 disconnect.

Typically no, I usually go a few hours at a time between disconnects but, as mentioned above, since the most recent patch I've noticed more than usual, most frequently when grouped with other players or playing near other players in a semi-crowded area. When solo off on my own I rarely have problems.

Not very, as I said it's fairly random... in groups, however, it's just a matter of time... the bigger the group, the more reliably the disconnect occurs.

Wireless though I experience the problem wired as well and even experience it if I connect directly to the cable modem rather than through a router.

Yes but typically they don't play SWTOR... however I have tested this on my son's Windows XP system, my windows Vista laptop and my Windows 7 workstation (my primary system) The issue occurs on all 3 systems whether wireless, wired or direct to the cable modem. It has nothing to do with my internal network as it never goes down when the issues occur and latency tests DURING the issue show internal network connectivity of <1 ms.

As mentioned above I have:
XP 32bit
Vista 32 Bit
Win7 64 Bit

All 3 OS's experience the issue wired, wireless or wired directly to the cable modem.

Avast - However I have the entire bioware folder in it's trusted processes in file, web and network settings so the antivirus ignores the game.

Firewall - windows integrated - Have SWTOR (Both processes) added to the trusted list

No other network filtering is on. I've even added my main system (Win7) to the DMZ settings for my router 1 or 2 times as a test though, as expected, that did not help. I didn't expect it to since going directly to the modem didn't either.

In all honesty I have mixed feelings about this. When we reported this issue during the stress test I offered to work with an engineer to isolate it and was ignored and told it was a configuration problem on my end even though I had extensively tested my network including during the issues and confirmed that when the issue occurs I typically do not lose internet access at all and can hit other services, including streaming media, torrent downloads, etc just fine though I don't normally do those things while I game I did them as tests to ensure I do have internet when an event occurs.

During testing I did notice that every now and then something from the servers actually can cause the cable modem to freak and disconnect. This is rare but does occur... it's almost like it's getting a flood attack or something and resetting it's connection. Since I'm unable to sniff at or beyond the cable modem I have no way of knowing what's causing this but I suspect something from the game servers occasionally is sending burst traffic.

In short... yes I'd be willing to work with an engineer.... it would have to be on my schedule, however, not theirs. Contact me via PM here on the forums or use my email associated with my account to get in touch with me to arrange a time to work on it and i'll be happy to try testing, within reason. I will not reload, re-image, rebuild or do anything else ridiculous to my system, however, as I have pretty much 100% confirmed this isn't a local issue.

As your post says many users are getting error 9000 because they're actually losing internet connectivity... In my case this isn't the issue except those wierd times (maybe 1 in 20), as I mentioned, where the game seems to actually be flooding the cable modem and causing it to reset. On the modem I can only tell because when it happens it will suddenly have a ranging error in the modem logs and then everything goes back to normal.

yagbrrash
01.11.2012 , 05:30 PM | #7
I haven't been receiving this error but something similar I believe. The game completely lags my internet every night since launch from 1-4am est. My server latency will consistently be between 500-1000ms. It not just my game that lags either it lags my vent and internet browser as well. I did a connection test on speedteset.net while in game and out during those times and my ping while in game was roughly 900 and when I closed the game it went back down to 80

Information we need:

1. Name of the server where you encounter disconnects Warriors of the Shadow

2. Day and time of a 1-2 hour block where you disconnected on average more than once every 15 minutes. (remember to tell us timezone!) We’re looking these up in the logs, so the more specific you can be the better! Every day between the hours of 1-4am est

3. Have you been receiving the disconnects continually? Are they during particular times of the day? Has it been consistent since launch? Do they tend to group up? No disconnects just massive lag at non peak times

4. How reliably can you reproduce the disconnects? 100%? 75%? 100%

5. Are you on a wired or wireless connection? If wireless, what brand and model of router are you using? Wired connection

6. Do you share the network connection with others? If so, do they play SWTOR, and have they also experienced disconnects? Are their disconnects at the same time as yours? No

7. What version of Windows are you running? Are you running 32 or 64 bit? Windows 7 64 bit version

8. Are you running any antivirus or firewall programs or any other network filtering program? No and i've tried turning off the windows firewall but had no affect.

9. Would you be willing to be contacted by a BioWare developer and work through some debugging steps hands on with us (most likely via phone)? If so, what timezone are you in? Yes, and I am in eastern standard time.

Zemfreed
01.11.2012 , 05:32 PM | #8
Bondar Crystal
Tuesday 1/10/2012 between the hours of 10pm CST and 1am CST 1/11/2012
Normally only 1 disconnect every 2 to 3 days. Never had a disconnect during beta testing. During the times listed yes they were grouping up.
Was trying to do normal game play, nothing out of norm that would cause disconnects.
Wired directly to router.
Yes the connection in shared, No one else playing Star Wars, No disconnects or latency on game they were playing (WoW)
Windows 7 64bit.
Yes, Windows Security Essentials, Was running this during beta and had no issues.
Yes, Hours of availability CST Tuesday through Saturday 7:30pm to When ever, Sunday and Monday - Flexable availability.

jbajcar
01.11.2012 , 05:32 PM | #9
Prophecy of the Five

January 6th, 2012 between 6PM-9PM EST (I think. Definitely happens a lot in the evening)

It happens often during the evenings almost every day. But it has happened early morning and mid day before as well. It only started about a couple weeks ago and they do group up.

It has happened pretty much every day for the last week at least in the evening so right now it's pretty easy to reproduce it seems.

I am on wireless and it's a D-Link WBR-2310 router.

I do share a network but am the only one playing SWTOR.

Windows 7 64-bit

Kaspersky Anti-virus 2012

Yes, EST.
Quote: Originally Posted by Han Solo
Get in there, you big furry oaf! I don't care what you smell!

lilsanta
01.11.2012 , 05:35 PM | #10
I was getting disconnected a lot last night for the first time since I bought the game last weekend. I'm level 29 now if that gives you an idea how much I've played.

The Fatman Server, Republic. 10pm EST to 3am.

Win 7 64 bit. Router (which I reset incase) connected by LAN. Microsoft Security Essentials.
Firewall.

Maybe I should set it to run as administrator now? I guess this is the result of the patch?