Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

accidentally deleted characters cannot be restored?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
accidentally deleted characters cannot be restored?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

AngieExtreme
01.12.2012 , 05:24 AM | #11
Ps: 3 days later and I finally got an automated response saying they received my ticket!

I don't expect to see my character restored anytime soon though.

renegadeimp
01.12.2012 , 05:25 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by AngieExtreme View Post
Ps: 3 days later and I finally got an automated response saying they received my ticket!

I don't expect to see my character restored anytime soon though.
There is a backlog of tickets in the restoration queue due to a lot of people deleting characters then regretting doing so.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

AngieExtreme
01.12.2012 , 05:34 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by renegadeimp View Post
There is a backlog of tickets in the restoration queue due to a lot of people deleting characters then regretting doing so.

I assumed as much, due to how simple it is to delete the wrong character. I am not as frustrated now that I have at least got an automated response. I understand the issues regarding the situation, however I believe it could have easily been avoided if the character's name was actually in the prompt.

While waiting on my character to be restored I'm leveling up a different character and not dwelling on the restore. I believe I will be caught up in level to the character I deleted before it will be restored, and I'm okay with that. No use whining over spilled milk.

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it." That's my motto.

Grendel_Prime
01.12.2012 , 05:37 AM | #14
I dunno. Personally, when I'm about to Delete anything on my PC, anything at all, and it says "Are you sure" I always double check to be sure that I am deleting the right thing. I'm glad they are able to do a restore, but really just take a second to double check.

renegadeimp
01.12.2012 , 05:39 AM | #15
To be honest, one simple change would stop these "accidental deletions".

Change the prompt from having you type delete, to having you type the characters name.

If people still delete their characters after that change, refuse to initiate a restoration unless the account was compromised.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

AngieExtreme
01.12.2012 , 06:00 AM | #16

Change the prompt from having you type delete, to having you type the characters name.

If people still delete their characters after that change, refuse to initiate a restoration unless the account was compromised.
I like that suggestion even better!

Farbod
01.12.2012 , 06:06 AM | #17

That actually is brilliant.

j-gordon-s
01.12.2012 , 06:11 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by AngieExtreme View Post
The reason it deleted that character is because it was the last one I logged into.
That's strange, I deleted two characters I never logged in (so the last character logged in was my main) without a problem.

docktopia
01.12.2012 , 11:31 AM | #19
Yes; having to type the character's name, rather than just the word "delete," would make a big difference. It would ensure that the player is paying close attention to what they are doing. (It would be great to think that everyone is always paying attention to what they are doing, but with millions of players, there will inevitably be all kinds of mishaps.) There is another MMO that uses that system already, I don't remember which one though.

AngieExtreme
01.14.2012 , 10:31 AM | #20
Good news: 5 days after submitting the character restoration ticket, 2 days after updating it with the word "scooby", I got my Trooper back! Definitely sooner than I had expected! I had to change it's name because someone used mine while I was waiting. No problem.. I like my new name better!

Better news: They took my suggestion and the character's name is actually on the prompt now when you delete a character! It may not be as good as having to type the characters name, but it's a start. I bet it would be a nightmare for the people who have the "special" letters in their character's names to do that though.