Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Commando and Powertech, or Mercenary and Vangard?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Commando and Powertech, or Mercenary and Vangard?

Terin
01.07.2012 , 10:41 PM | #1
I intend to only have one character of every Class, so I want to make sure I get whichever "fits" each Class the most.

On the one hand, Commando makes a lot of sense. Many trailers depict them, wielding their impressive Assault Cannons, and there was even a game named "Republic Commando" (though curiously, they wielded Rifles, not Cannons). Powertech also uses a lot of flamethrowers, can use the Jetpack to leap at an enemy, pull them towards him with a grappling hook, or freeze them in Carbonite, which seems very Boba Fett-like.

On the other hand, the Vangard wields a Rifle, which maybe rings a little more true to their militaristic vibe. As well, the Mercenary dual-wields Blasters, obviously inspired by Boba Fett; in contrast, the Powertech's single blaster isn't reflective of any know Bounty Hunter (that I know of, anyways). As well, the Mercenary keeps at a distance, which seems more what I would have thought Bounty Hunters might prefer.

Obviously, there's no "Right" or "Wrong" answer here, but I'd really just like you guys' honest opinions. If you're playing through these Characters purely for their Story, which Advanced Classes do you think "feel" closer to the Class? Thanks a ton!

Durzaka
01.07.2012 , 11:00 PM | #2
just a small correction, Boba Fett used a carbine. Jango used the 2 pistols.
Durzaka Retribution

SkiaTheShade
01.07.2012 , 11:09 PM | #3
I have a PowerTech and I feel that I should have gone mercenary purely because it fits the Bounty Hunter class better, in my option. This class does not feel like it should be melee. It is not underpowered or anything, I fly through content. I just think that aesthetically and story wise a mercenary would fit better.

lcemaster
01.08.2012 , 02:32 AM | #4
Choose the Merc and Vangaurd

atheelogos
01.08.2012 , 07:44 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by lcemaster View Post
Choose the Merc and Vangaurd
why vanguard?
"Crime is common. Logic is rare." Arthur Conan Doyle

“There’s nothing more elusive than an obvious fact.”

SkiaTheShade
01.08.2012 , 11:26 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by atheelogos View Post
why vanguard?
Because the OP's question was "should I go Merc and vs guard or commando and PowerTech"

Bow-Wow-Wow
01.08.2012 , 12:25 PM | #7
I went Vanguard/Mercenary and regret it. While it really isn't that big of a deal, I'd rather have a Commando minigun than Mercenary Dual Pistols and I would rather have a Powertech Flamethrower than a Vanguard Arc cannon. I just think they look cooler.
Haters gonna' hate.

Terin
01.08.2012 , 02:13 PM | #8
Any other opinions/thoughts on the matter? I'm really having a difficult time deciding!

darthbored
01.08.2012 , 03:12 PM | #9
i went commando/powertech because a powertech, in theory is an amazing concept, theres a billion mercs already, and commandos get a freakin mini gun!

mini gun > dual pistols. plus commandos dont take up as big of a % of the population as mercs do on empire side. loot competition sucks when you get invited to a group that already had 2 mercenaries. i quit my merc at lvl 42 in disgust.

BenderBending
01.08.2012 , 04:16 PM | #10
Commando and Powertech. Trooper's iconic weapon is the assault cannon, and you don't get it when you go Vanguard... simple as that.