Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

Cernow
03.11.2012 , 06:26 PM | #241
The 'on rails' space missions are fun the first few times, but repetition soon removes the gloss. When you know exactly what will happen every time you run the mission it gets boring. Sure you can set yourself goals of achieving bonuses, but once you know how to do those it remains boring and just another grind for commendations.

Much better would be full freedom of movement where you have objectives but can pilot for yourself. The main encounters would still need to be scripted, but if they could add in a random element to the 'trash mob' craft that would help improve things. And also a more sophisticated set of bonuses to aim for. Something to shake things up a bit so every mission isn't a carbon copy.

Seems to me Bioware think the average player of SWTOR can't cope with a proper space combat sim so they dumbed it down and put it on rails. It can't be for ease of programming because if that's the case then all they needed to do is import the game engine from the X-Wing vs Tie Fighter series of games from the 90s and bring the graphics up to modern standards. In fact, that would be a great idea

Elhanan
03.11.2012 , 06:41 PM | #242
Quote: Originally Posted by Cernow View Post
The 'on rails' space missions are fun the first few times, but repetition soon removes the gloss. When you know exactly what will happen every time you run the mission it gets boring. Sure you can set yourself goals of achieving bonuses, but once you know how to do those it remains boring and just another grind for commendations.

Much better would be full freedom of movement where you have objectives but can pilot for yourself. The main encounters would still need to be scripted, but if they could add in a random element to the 'trash mob' craft that would help improve things. And also a more sophisticated set of bonuses to aim for. Something to shake things up a bit so every mission isn't a carbon copy.

Seems to me Bioware think the average player of SWTOR can't cope with a proper space combat sim so they dumbed it down and put it on rails. It can't be for ease of programming because if that's the case then all they needed to do is import the game engine from the X-Wing vs Tie Fighter series of games from the 90s and bring the graphics up to modern standards. In fact, that would be a great idea
Sorry, but that is not my opinion at all. The low level of accuracy in this attempt at telepathy towards others - especially Bioware - gives me reason to think the avg Player may be fine.

While I support future plans to bring in Free Flight, I am also content to remain in this present game implementation.

As for repetition, while some may become bored faster then others, some arcade games survived a rather long time in the fondest part of memories, and they were filled with repeating sequences.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -
Edmund Burke

Grief Free Play 12-20-11

Azzras
03.11.2012 , 07:17 PM | #243
Quote: Originally Posted by Elhanan View Post
Sorry, but that is not my opinion at all. The low level of accuracy in this attempt at telepathy towards others - especially Bioware - gives me reason to think the avg Player may be fine.

While I support future plans to bring in Free Flight, I am also content to remain in this present game implementation.

As for repetition, while some may become bored faster then others, some arcade games survived a rather long time in the fondest part of memories, and they were filled with repeating sequences.
BW I believe stated they are going to expand upon current missions as well as their 'secret project' for space combat.

I wish they would talk about this 'secret space project' at least a little.
[ █ █ █ █ █] ( ) Ξ█████████████ The Shadowlands █████████████)

Elhanan
03.11.2012 , 07:46 PM | #244
Quote: Originally Posted by Azzras View Post
BW I believe stated they are going to expand upon current missions as well as their 'secret project' for space combat.

I wish they would talk about this 'secret space project' at least a little.
If this is accurate, I hope so as well.

Right now I could use some air support for my current ground Quest; would be a nice feature to have extra firepower or a nearby drop zone.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -
Edmund Burke

Grief Free Play 12-20-11

metalgearyoda
03.11.2012 , 07:56 PM | #245
I really like swtor but...

I really thought we'd have space pvp by now.

It doesn't take much to make a 3d space shooter.

At this point I feel like its entirely a design decision and not a technical or monetary issue.

: /

I will remain subbed for a while longer but...

I am not happy with this.
Ganking leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to pvp.
The Swtor forum attracts trolls because the forums are more fun than raiding dragon soul.
Complaining is the new meta game.

Azzras
03.11.2012 , 07:57 PM | #246
Quote: Originally Posted by metalgearyoda View Post

At this point I feel like its entirely a design decision and not a technical or monetary issue.

What features would you like added.

Me, I want full control space combat and PvP.

metalgearyoda
03.11.2012 , 08:01 PM | #247
Quote: Originally Posted by Azzras View Post
What features would you like added.

Me, I want full control space combat and PvP.
Those two things exactly.

If this game had that I would be very very very happy.

I personally believe that bioware should expand their pvp to as many different game types as possible. No one likes playing capture the flag every time.

Space pvp would alleviate some of this.

New pvp maps would too. Maybe dota-eske WZ. Idk.

I really am going to need more then huttball soon.

Edit: I am legitimately upset about this. I don't really know how to convey that properly through a forum.
Ganking leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to pvp.
The Swtor forum attracts trolls because the forums are more fun than raiding dragon soul.
Complaining is the new meta game.

Cernow
03.11.2012 , 08:07 PM | #248
Quote: Originally Posted by Elhanan View Post
I've got fond memories of old arcade games too, spent many many hours playing them. Doesn't mean I want to now though, most memories are best left as just that, memories. Things move on.

The current space missions are fun, but the repitition will get old for everyone, some obviously sooner than others. Free flight space combat has so much more longevity. And it's not like they need to reinvent the wheel, there's a great heritage of Star Wars space combat titles already within the Lucasarts stable which they could draw inspiration from.

Azzras
03.11.2012 , 08:18 PM | #249
Those two things exactly.

If this game had that I would be very very very happy.

I personally believe that bioware should expand their pvp to as many different game types as possible. No one likes playing capture the flag every time.

Space pvp would alleviate some of this.

New pvp maps would too. Maybe dota-eske WZ. Idk.

I really am going to need more then huttball soon.

Edit: I am legitimately upset about this. I don't really know how to convey that properly through a forum.
Well for PvP, I know they are adding a new ground map in 1.2.

They are also opening the other WZs up to same faction (which I would assume is why you are tired of huttball).

Nothing new for space in 1.2 sadly, but they hinted at a secret project for it.

I wish they would at least talk a bit about it.

Elhanan
03.11.2012 , 10:22 PM | #250

edit: Me

And I have not a clue on how easy or difficult it must be, but I am gonna guess it may be more complex than some believe as we do not have it yet.
Edmund Burke

Grief Free Play 12-20-11