Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

Vecke
03.01.2012 , 08:44 PM | #111
I've said this before, but I'd be perfectly happy with space combat if they just connected it to my character.

Why is my Smuggler working for the Republic instead of smuggling goods past them?

I don't care if they used the exact same missions as long as they'd change them just enough to make it so I'm actually trying to escape law enforcement or trying to get smuggled goods past some capital ships.

And my Bounty Hunter should be chasing marks through space, not defending the Empire.

I don't mind the space mini-game; I just don't like the disconnect it has to my character.
"I know."

Bigbozo
03.01.2012 , 08:53 PM | #112
Only read the lats few padges, but here's my two cents.

I hate that I only need one frigging captial ship turret, but just make pass after pass after pass on the station that I have allready obliterated.

Now, I'm not much for flying games, but it would be nice if I could say to the pilot "Hey! captial ships are that way!"

MORTTUUM
03.01.2012 , 09:21 PM | #113
Maybe it's just me, but as a long-time Flight-sim enthusiast, but a newcomer to the MMO, I can really get "into character" in the ground-based stuff, to the point where, say, I'm on Drommond Kaas running thru the rain, and I'm surprised MY hair isn't wet. But when I enter a space-combat segment, I feel like I'm in a 1980s video-game arcade playing the original Star Wars game...
I hate violence. I'm just really, really prepared for Peace.

GinnoTaki
03.01.2012 , 09:59 PM | #114
Nice to see the old 3D-Space Comabt guard in the saddle again. I cancelled my sub at least till the moment when that "ongoing SCS project" will be revealed and described.

I don't need another Star World of Warcraft, i need a Star Wars.

Finally, i need more depth in the every other aspect of SWTOR too. This theme park with the fail-rail space attraction bored me like a hell.
SWTOR is a story-driven massively-multiplayer online game...
Mate1: Just skip it, guys!
Mate2: Yeah, space-space-space!!!

Akash
03.01.2012 , 10:23 PM | #115
Just revamp X-wing vs Tie Fighter and I'm good.
Memnon - 50 Commando ~ Untagonis - 50 Juggs
Adepta - 50 Sniper ~ Khatovar - 50 Sin ~ Varpaal - Mid level Sin
Antagonis - Mid level Operative ~ Jenize - Mid level Sentinel
Osanobua - Mid level Merc ~ Ka'Tahar - Mid level Juggs

MORTTUUM
03.02.2012 , 12:39 AM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by Akash View Post
Just revamp X-wing vs Tie Fighter and I'm good.
I'd be quite happy to have a CMD, and Shield/Engine Power-distribution setting options (along with full 3-axis movement).
I hate violence. I'm just really, really prepared for Peace.

Galius
03.02.2012 , 12:45 AM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by Azzras View Post
Hey Galius!

I'm glad to see you're still around.

I to would like an answer about full control space combat.

You'd think the hundreds of thousands of posts pre-launch would have gotten us some response.

Keep hope alive, m8.
Good to see you too...

I have little to no faith at this time in Biowares direct for space combat. They have chosen to not only keep us in the dark but do so in such a way that it only breeds discontent.

I have played the space combat a total of two times. Once during beta, and once after game has gone live. I can guarantee you I have not missed out on anything worth doing.
Quote: Originally Posted by Galius View Post
WILL THERE BE FULL CONTROL SPACE COMBAT IN THE FUTURE?
Not a hard question to answer directly and honestly so why haven't you?

madmikeyb
03.02.2012 , 09:03 AM | #118
Seeing as they can't even change the skins of your ship, doing something like pvp or free roam for space combat seems to be out of the question. If they can't even figur out how to change the color of a ship or even add new ones not sure how anything else can be added.

I am betting their big SPACE thing is going to be co op rail shooter, which in turn is garbage. Just another thing Bioware could of done before launch. I believe this will be a big issue with others and that's why they haven't said anything. I really really hope I am wrong...

SturmUndSterne
03.02.2012 , 09:15 AM | #119
I find myself wondering something.

Back in the days of long ago, there was a game called Wing Commander. It was, in my opinion, the finest space combat game ever created.. and it was made way back in 1992.

There were five main-thread versions of that game, and a couple of spinoff sequels such as Privateer.

They were all made by a company called Origin.. which was bought out by EA when Wing Commander - Prophecy was an abysmal failure.

How hard would it be to integrate the existing space sim combat code into a mini-game in this game? They already own the code.. and WC-P was written about ten years ago. It could be slimmed down pretty easily, I'd think.

The_Bull
03.02.2012 , 11:09 AM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by seatown View Post
TLDR: I love SWTOR so far but wish for more meaningfull space content SOMEDAY down the road.

Whether you like space or not, why would a company develop a game with this kind of budget and so many well thought out innovations; innovated crafting, innovated companion system, innovated combat (choreographed LS duels and cover mechanic), innovated stories with choice, innovated full voice over, etc, want to trivialize any aspect of their game? Would it not have been better to leave a system not set to the standards and quality of the rest of the game out, at least until it could be brought up to such standards, rather than have a "meh, it'll do" mechanic within your system? Thank you for your time, and have a pleasant day.
For me 3D space combat is a must have. I'm a Smuggler who can't fly a space ship... I can only ride in one, and man the turret.

Also, the new space missions I've unlocked, while having different names, are the same as the old space missions just harder. (how many different missions do I need to hunt down a prototype fighter?)

examples of other mission types: Image how cool it would be to to have to "Run a blockade" in a 3D environment while overwhelming numbers engage your single ship as your crew calculates the jump to light speed.

Or there's and interdiction cruiser that must be disabled to jump or any host of other ideas that add meaning to the space game, including the first and second sets of space missions. For me the space missions didn't start failing completely until the level 3 missions.

Also, I have two turrets in my ship why can't my one of my crew members man one with reduced damage (very reduced) just to give the feel that I'm actually in a dog fight where my crew cares about the outcome.

I realize that I've brought up a lot more than 3d space flight but I feel that all of this is required to really optimize space combat into an integral part of the game. Still the most necessary aspect of that would certainly be 3D flight.
Totaly Nija!