Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

High cpu usage and physical memory usage

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
High cpu usage and physical memory usage

Siriel
01.23.2012 , 01:43 AM | #11
UPDATE - GOOD NEWS :

I hope the developers see this (also sent an in-game ticket), as I think this could be an important clue concerning RAM overload and crashing.

FIX : the following changes have reduced the total RAM used by about 1 GB allowing me to play, not to mention I use to have a litteral memory leak of 1.3 GB after patch 1.1.0a.

Result : I was able to play on Alderaan for over 30 minutes without any lag and the game even closed itself rather quickly. My Page File was around 2.4 and cleared itself without any issues after closing the game.
a) changed game setting to HIGH textures (had formally reduced it to low to try and fix the RAM overloading).

b) changed NVIDIA setting "Texture - Quality" to High performance.

c) changed NVIDIA setting "Antialiasing - Transparency" to Off (instead of Multisampling)
- Mind you, antialiasing is set to off in the game, so this is most probably irrelevant.

The game was unplayable before.

Logically, it was the High quality NVIDIA setting that caused the excessive load, but it got much worse with the low texture setting in game. Others have said the game oddly runs better with high texture set in game. My guess is there seems to be an problem when Low Texture is selected in the preferences.

Thank you

IronclawFTW
01.23.2012 , 01:55 AM | #12
For alot of people, this game just uses CPU and RAM and ignores your GPU, especially when you enter crowded areas, then the GPU goes to sleep making your FPS drop under one digit.
I'm playing a Jedi Seer as I love to heal and have been a healer in WoW for 7 years. I'll probably be one of the best SW:TOR healers, if not THE best. I'm 33 years old and immature for my age (I've been told) so don't cross me or you won't get any heals :P. Also, as a healer I'm more important than anyone else so I demand to be able to roll NEED on everything.

Mysticales
01.24.2012 , 07:04 PM | #13
I use ATI, so I will be checking GPU usage, temp and so today, found a nice win7 gadget for nvidia and ati users to monitor it. http://bit.ly/fzOHP9
I hate when it drops to single digits tho, normally I run the game fine, last night I had an odd issue, lagged up always and then sound went out. Game kept dropping down to singles and going unresponsive. Not sure if it was due to the memory trimmer thing or TOR. But no biggie, usually I am ok.
~Battlez-avec la Mystique?~
SW:TOR Irc - webchat

daftshadow
01.24.2012 , 07:17 PM | #14
Right now I am getting 52-60% CPU usage and ~93% Physical Memory usage when running Swtor. This is just bad. No wonder my computer's performance is like a snail whenever I alt-tab out of the game.

DanDare
01.24.2012 , 07:32 PM | #15
i have the same issues - since 1.1 CPU and RAM quickly max out yet my GPU sits twiddling it's thumbs

before 1.1 i ran as smooth as - even watching TV on my 2nd monitor etc - now PC just grinds to a halt if i try open anything else with SWTOR still running - even on the lowest settings possible! Scoured the forums, tried all-sorts, still yet to get back to pre-1.1 levels of goodness.

Will try the suggestions in this thread - see how i get on

Win 7 64
Q6600 (OC'd to 3.4GHz)
NVIDIA GTX 460
4GB DDR2

One thing i did notice - a lot of us in this thread have Win 7 64 - coincidence??

Vandaman
01.24.2012 , 07:42 PM | #16
I am having the same problems. Todays patch came with a big jump in CPU usage.

Here is a link to my DXdiag...

http://www.brute-squad.com/showthrea...or-forums-only)

cocun
01.24.2012 , 07:43 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by DanDare View Post
i have the same issues - since 1.1 CPU and RAM quickly max out yet my GPU sits twiddling it's thumbs

before 1.1 i ran as smooth as - even watching TV on my 2nd monitor etc - now PC just grinds to a halt if i try open anything else with SWTOR still running - even on the lowest settings possible! Scoured the forums, tried all-sorts, still yet to get back to pre-1.1 levels of goodness.

Will try the suggestions in this thread - see how i get on

Win 7 64
Q6600 (OC'd to 3.4GHz)
NVIDIA GTX 460
4GB DDR2

One thing i did notice - a lot of us in this thread have Win 7 64 - coincidence??
If you're using a pc for gaming then you should be using win7 64. So yes it is a coincidence but an irrelevent one.

Oh and OP, the game is designed to run two tasks so shutting one down to get 'better performance' will obviously crash the game.

Vandaman
01.24.2012 , 07:43 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
UPDATE - GOOD NEWS :

I hope the developers see this (also sent an in-game ticket), as I think this could be an important clue concerning RAM overload and crashing.

FIX : the following changes have reduced the total RAM used by about 1 GB allowing me to play, not to mention I use to have a litteral memory leak of 1.3 GB after patch 1.1.0a.

Result : I was able to play on Alderaan for over 30 minutes without any lag and the game even closed itself rather quickly. My Page File was around 2.4 and cleared itself without any issues after closing the game.
a) changed game setting to HIGH textures (had formally reduced it to low to try and fix the RAM overloading).

b) changed NVIDIA setting "Texture - Quality" to High performance.

c) changed NVIDIA setting "Antialiasing - Transparency" to Off (instead of Multisampling)
- Mind you, antialiasing is set to off in the game, so this is most probably irrelevant.

The game was unplayable before.

Logically, it was the High quality NVIDIA setting that caused the excessive load, but it got much worse with the low texture setting in game. Others have said the game oddly runs better with high texture set in game. My guess is there seems to be an problem when Low Texture is selected in the preferences.

Thank you
I tried your fixes and i had a small fps jump in game, but nothing helped the CPU usage

DemizeMan
01.24.2012 , 09:13 PM | #19
Same here. Tried fixes...worked great for about 15-20 min then went back to how it was before.

Windows 7
Intel Celeron 2 Dual Core 2.53 each
Nvidia GTX 260 M
6 GB RAM

Hope they fix this quickly. Tried running memory cleaner while playing with no luck.

Metalmac
01.24.2012 , 09:30 PM | #20
I am running a Mac Pro Quad Core Xeon with 8 internal cores. 2.93 Ghz and 6 Gig of RAM using a ATI 4870 video card. Running Windows 7 Professional. It runs off of a 1 Tb Sansung HD103UJ SATA 3 so this system is no where near the lower middle recommended.

Since 1.1 patch fans run almost full blast on video card and computer. The Mac Pro has 7 fans so it gets real noisy fast.

What ever they did in this patch is BROKEN the only other time my computer ever did this was a CRAPPY PATCH done by Blizzard in WoW.

This Patch is a mess and 100% of the problem we have.

The game is even worse for crashing and locking up. Please examine your code for errors.