Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

CPU overheating, since patch?


Nilenya's Avatar


Nilenya
01.04.2012 , 11:18 PM | #11
Im worried about 60+ because my pc shut itself off when it was readin 65 degrees on the probe. It was probably a lot higher because it shut off.

As to the dust thing. Im a bit ocd about dust in general. I take the panels off and all my fans out regularly and go to war with my Qtips, so its pretty clean in there.

As to room temperature. Im usually sitting around 15 celsius, because I live in a big house in sweden and its effing artic most of the time. So I think I can rule that out. Last winter I played with silk gloves on - "you can laugh, it is kinda funny".

Oh and Im absolutely fine with getting some new components, I already stated my system was due an upgrade. But that is not exactly relevant to the issue Im trying to clear up. Which is - if anyone else, besides me, had noticed significant temp changes in their cpu since todays patch. - I think that is relevant because I could go out and get a new cpu and still have it spike when playing swtor if this is something unintentional with regards to the patch. And I prefer buying things and have them last from highmid to mid end range for a few years. Not age them in 1 just because a game is eating it alive.

AngusFTW's Avatar


AngusFTW
01.04.2012 , 11:20 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Darthwreck View Post
Yeah since this patch load times have been ridiculous and the game has been taking up on average 50-75% of my CPU, which is outrageous.
WHAT AN OUTRAGE

this game drives my cpu load to 20%

EDIT: hmm. you could replace the cooler..
The thing is cpu load shouldnt be shutting your system off period..

I havent noticed any change tbh... Think its acutally slightly less

FadedSpark's Avatar


FadedSpark
01.04.2012 , 11:22 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Nilenya View Post
Im worried about 60+ because my pc shut itself off when it was readin 65 degrees on the probe. It was probably a lot higher because it shut off.

As to the dust thing. Im a bit ocd about dust in general. I take the panels off and all my fans out regularly and go to war with my Qtips, so its pretty clean in there.

As to room temperature. Im usually sitting around 15 celsius, because I live in a big house in sweden and its effing artic most of the time. So I think I can rule that out. Last winter I played with silk gloves on - "you can laugh, it is kinda funny".
Are your fans actually working well? Because a computer shouldn't be shutting off at 65.

Also, Dropping your settings aside from MAYBE view distance won't likely have a significant impact on temperature or CPU loads, most work is done by the video card.

I'm not even sure what my new computer idles in TOR at, but I know FULL on Stress-test Trying to break stuff 100% loads gets it to 80ish and it's rock solid stable...

But I also have a GIANT coolermaster hyper 212... And an i7 2700k p5Q being LGA775 should be under 75* as a basis.

AngusFTW's Avatar


AngusFTW
01.04.2012 , 11:25 PM | #14
Its not a cpu intensive game.. Though by the looks of it it does work a duo core processor quite hard..

i7s and the likes don't even break a sweat.

Nilenya's Avatar


Nilenya
01.04.2012 , 11:25 PM | #15
pc probe is kind enough to show rpm of every fan I have. They all hover between 1500-1600 - except the cpu fan which goes from 1620ish to 1850ish when I load swtor.

They are definately working.

I know swtor has been demanding more from peoples hardware than other games so Im not going to say; but I can play bla bla bla - but my pc isnt making a lot of noise - even when it gets hot. The fan busts out up to 1900rpm's without being obnoxiously loud, but ofcourse it does make a sound. I cant tell the temp is rising based just on the noise though because it isnt making enough noise to distinguish. I just go by the probe readings which change as the temp go up.

Nilenya's Avatar


Nilenya
01.04.2012 , 11:28 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by AngusFTW View Post
Its not a cpu intensive game.. Though by the looks of it it does work a duo core processor quite hard..

i7s and the likes don't even break a sweat.
Yes thats what I was gathering.

And thats the type of cpu I am saving up for. I just would like to be able to get some other pieces and build a new rig in one go.

Anyway, isnt it odd though, specs aside, that the cpu goes from handing the game well, even on high settings (as you say shouldnt be about the cpu but more the gfx card - mine also handling it well eventhough its a 5850) - and then with a tiny addition to todays patch its simmering in heat. - Why did they have to go an make that change

Bluxwave's Avatar


Bluxwave
01.04.2012 , 11:29 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by FadedSpark View Post
Are your fans actually working well? Because a computer shouldn't be shutting off at 65.

.

its prevented in the BIOS settings you can set it to diff temps to shut off

AngusFTW's Avatar


AngusFTW
01.04.2012 , 11:31 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Nilenya View Post
Yes thats what I was gathering.

And thats the type of cpu I am saving up for. I just would like to be able to get some other pieces and build a new rig in one go.

Anyway, isnt it odd though, specs aside, that the cpu goes from handing the game well, even on high settings (as you say shouldnt be about the cpu but more the gfx card - mine also handling it well eventhough its a 5850) - and then with a tiny addition to todays patch its simmering in heat. - Why did they have to go an make that change
5850 should manage this fine. I have a 5870 and max everything even forcing some AA. CPU is probably the bottleneck in this instance. I think it does benefit from a quad core cpu for sure. Even if it hardly uses my overclocked i7 920.

The heat issue is a tad odd but i'd speculate its more your hardware then the game and if it does shut off when it reaches 65 its a bit odd since it can take a lot more heat.. If theres a way to modify that i would look into it.

RachelAnne's Avatar


RachelAnne
01.04.2012 , 11:31 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Nilenya View Post
Yes thats what I was gathering.

And thats the type of cpu I am saving up for. I just would like to be able to get some other pieces and build a new rig in one go.

Anyway, isnt it odd though, specs aside, that the cpu goes from handing the game well, even on high settings (as you say shouldnt be about the cpu but more the gfx card - mine also handling it well eventhough its a 5850) - and then with a tiny addition to todays patch its simmering in heat. - Why did they have to go an make that change
I can only speculate,

but some people at the forums did want that their CPU usage is a lot higher. Could be that SWTOR didnt run at its full potential, so they did set the priority to high, very high - tried to OC a bit etc.

Maybe BW did fix that issue now, so that exactly these PCs run too hot.

Nilenya's Avatar


Nilenya
01.04.2012 , 11:45 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by RachelAnne View Post
I can only speculate,

but some people at the forums did want that their CPU usage is a lot higher. Could be that SWTOR didnt run at its full potential, so they did set the priority to high, very high - tried to OC a bit etc.

Maybe BW did fix that issue now, so that exactly these PCs run too hot.
Hmm not sure what you mean. I havent OC'd my pcu, or anything in my pc actually. Im not informed enough to meddle with my hardware and not make dmg or create problems. I just try to keep it safe and clean and last for as long as it takes me to get from a highmid range rig, to a medium mid, then its time to up specs again.

Ive gamed since 1999, so its usually every 2-3 yrs that I do a major overhaul, and so OC and stuff like that I dont touch at all.

As for the temperature settings in Bios.
I think I may have set the temperature in Bios too low. Maybe thats why it turns off at 65-70C.

Thanks for reminding me about that. Perhaps it will help me avoid the hard crashes. Then I can monitor the wellfair of my cpu through the probe but not worry about sudden crashes.