Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

CPU overheating, since patch?

Primalis
02.10.2012 , 03:30 PM | #141
i7 975 here...averaging 42c under load...and I'm playing SW:TOR and Battlefield 3 at the same time :P

HavenAE
02.15.2012 , 07:20 PM | #142
Have the same problem as the OP's initial post.

Started out playing this game with a cool 45-46c cpu temp.

I have a FX8120 with a Corsair H60 cooler. I'm not Overclocked currently, because if I were I'd be F U C K E D.

seems like every pratch ups the ante just a little more, first few patches were fine then suddenly I saw temps at 47-48. then 48-49, then 50's 51-50.. now after the latest patch its the biggest jump up to 58-60c from 52.

This is the only place this happens, all other games, Skyrim, BF3, even Tera (which has much better graphics isn't so solo oriented and still in beta) don't blast my CPU like this game does.

So it's not the paste (by the way you should never have to reset thermal paste for a game)
It's not the cooler, works fine everywhere else.

This game is just a poorly optimized piece of S H I T.
Have a complaint? Click this link before posting.

http://mrlizard.com/rants/why-havent...ixed-this-bug/

Stratopus
02.15.2012 , 07:45 PM | #143
Game is unplayable since last patch. Period.

Raora
02.15.2012 , 07:48 PM | #144
I havent seen my computer go past 34C even after 8 hour marathons of in game time

hsgeneral
03.10.2012 , 05:57 PM | #145
My CPU is running hotter than I'd like. Running a quad core i7 intel 3.2 ghz, my air cooler can keep my cpu around 45-50 playing crysis 2 or skyrim with highest textures and highest video settings without going over 50. I can play every other game without this much trouble but when I'm playing SWTOR it heats up to 70 or higher in populated areas like the fleet. I tried an experiment, lowering all settings to minimum and it doesn't help. My graphics card is a gtx 560 1gb and can actually handle it on highest setting so I know it's not the graphics that's the problem. The problem is too many things for the processor to deal with. It needs to be cut. On a less populated server it still heats up more than needed (up to 68). I've made sure that everything is set on it. I've even made sure all fans are clean and functioning properly. It just heats up too much.

siegeshot
03.11.2012 , 10:48 PM | #146
I'll post here since this's the thread with the best info.

(tldr version: turn off un needed monitors in 'AMD Vsion Engine Control Center.')

After trying most of what was on here (and also I was on build 12.1 for my AMD) this's what I did to fix mine.

I could slowly turn my settings down, and heard my fan get quieter and quieter. It'd slowly turn back up though to what I call 'jet engine.' I'd turn my settings down more, it'd get quieter. It'd slowly get louder until jet engine again. I turned SWTOR off, it'd instantly quiet down. Also keep in mind I've started cleaning my CPU out about every two weeks including the area around it to try to handle the 'ambient temperature.' Anyway so check this out.

Upon undoing my CPU I remember during unplugging both monitor cords that hello, I have two monitors, and my second monitor is always on, even though the monitor itself is off. Duh. So I go into my AMD Vision Engine Control Center. Turn off the 2nd monitor completely.. It's like I have a brand spanking new computer. It turns SWTOR blazing fast.

I updated my video card to 12.3, removed about 1/2 the stuff from my msconfig file also just to kind of start fresh.. Anyway.

Apparently having that second monitor activated must really take up some needed processing speeds and cause extra heat off my GPU or something.

I seriously hope this helps a lot of other people like me.

ATI Radeon 5700 Series.
Guild: Cute Pink Banthas / Gravity Kills
Youtube.com/swtorPaladin
Begeren Colony. RP-PVE.
Original beta group: Squadron 367

King_Stinkeye
03.12.2012 , 05:22 AM | #147
I managed to resolve this problem and the countless others by uninstalling SWTOR and then leaving it uninstalled. The trick was to make sure I didn't accidentally reinstall it, so I removed my DVD drive and threw it in the garbage. At first I thought about just throwing away the disk but I was worried that a kid might find it and unwittingly burn their house down around them.

So far my temperatures have been perfect and I am once again enjoying my gaming time.

Darth-Piranha
05.10.2012 , 06:40 PM | #148
I'm having the same issue too, when I start tor, cpu fan starts screaming like its gonna catch on fire.
I don't wanna cook my processor just by playing swtor and if this doesn't get addressed soon, I'm canceling my subscription. Better to be safe than sorry.

Here's my dxdiag:
Spoiler
䷀䷀䷀□□◫◸

䷀䷀䷀□□▥◤