Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

CPU overheating, since patch?

Nilenya
01.04.2012 , 10:47 PM | #1
EDIT:

After reapplying thermal paste on my cpu fan I have relieved the problem. -Doesnt mean that cpu usage and temps arent greater now, after jan 6th patch, it just mean we need to update/upgrade cpu cooling. Thermal paste costs 3 pounds or so and is easy to apply. I suggest you try this step if you are having problems.

I was sitting at 40-46 degrees before wednesdays patch. - Then I had to log and do stuff. I came back around midnight, and there was a smaller patch - to do with emotes from mounted players and other important things like that - and after patching that I log in to play.

I play 20 mins and my pc restarts. Theres no sounds or warnings - I havent toggled my pc probe on so at this time I think; Oh greyout np, my internet survived yay.

I load in again and it happens almost as soon as the game is up.

Now I load pc probe up and check settings. I lower them to 65C for warning and sure enough

Im sitting at 59C just from being in Illum. ACK - I turn down shaders and terrain - bloom goes off, and grass and tree details put to like 30% - everythings been on high since headstart.

Im now limping along at 55-56C in imperial fleet, and 52-59 on Hoth/illum/Voss -> the planets I travelled to inorder to check consistency.

- I loaded up the other pc and I reached 66C just by standing still at Imperial fleet o.O whatehefack?

What changed in the little tiny patch that has my cpu going bonkers? - I have pc probe in my gadgets and I never noticed it acting up with swtor before. - sitting here writing this post I have 32C - if I load up swtor it will jump to mid 50s and slowly climb up towards 60 and hover - but only because I turned settings down. If I left them Id go above 65C and Im not happy about that.

Setting my graphics settings down helped, since Im not getting my pc shut down in desperation - but I played all evening prior to the patch and now its suddenly tough for my cpu to handle swtor on low settings? -

AM I ALONE? IS ANYONE NOTICING HIGH CPU TEMPS AFTER PATCH: HAS ANYONE ACTUALLY HAD A PROBLEM OR DO I JUST SIT WITH AN OLD CPU THAT IS RASPING OUT ITS DYING BREATH - and just happened to coincede with a patch - this could happen, Im not being sarcastic, its kinda old.

Spoiler

Spoiler

badmanh
01.04.2012 , 11:02 PM | #2
Nope. Noticed my CPU fan cranking up aswell. It's an after market cooler and is silent (40-45 max load )

And I mean SILENT but after this patch it sounds like a jet engine.

AnthonyLeo
01.04.2012 , 11:10 PM | #3
I've notice my laptop getting a lot hotter. The built in fan is running at a higher speed than it normally does and thats with the laptop cooler running.

Nilenya
01.04.2012 , 11:11 PM | #4
sad panda is sad.

I would like to not have to update my hardware for a little while. I know I should get a new cpu and a new gfx card - but with that I want to change my motherboard, change my ram to dd3 and get more, and I want to get crossfire radeon. So Im saving up for these major tweaks and I dont want to get something less right now because swtor is going through its birthpains.

Right now, Im playing in window'd fullscreen mode so my pc probe can be seen while Im playing. Im manually logging off and letting my cpu cool down to 30 before I load up again. Im worried I'll miss a warning and fry my cpu

AngusFTW
01.04.2012 , 11:12 PM | #5
Maybe your computer/cpu fan is due a clean with some compressed air? Dust is a killer..

65 if i remember correctly should be within the limits of that cpu... if you really wanna test stability give it a prime95 run lol

Even if a program is loading your processor it should never get to the stage of crashing out so theres something potentially wrong with your system there.

Pizzagrenadier
01.04.2012 , 11:13 PM | #6
you are not the only one, there are tons of ppl, including me, after today's patch, having hard crash problems, and have to restart computer. the card temperature is abnormally high, which is the root cause of all these crashes, when the computer tries to save itself.

no problems whatsoever before today's patch. they screwed something up badly in this little patch. fix it bioware!! this is a game breaking bug, where it can damage ppl's computer and stop them from playing, this should be your NUMBER ONE priority.

Exactly
01.04.2012 , 11:13 PM | #7
Ambient room temps matter the most, a two degree change in your room can push up CPU temps by 2-3x. Meaning if you are getting 45 CPU temp in a 70 degree room, you could be seeing easily in the 50's if your room went up to 72.

Bluxwave
01.04.2012 , 11:13 PM | #8
man dont worry

only worry if your temps reach more than 85degC

yeah it drives everything HARD and getting better coolers will help as stock fans and heatinks will drive u nuts and make alot of noise

but your worried about 60degC temps ???? nonononononno

and get speedfan http://www.almico.com/speedfan445.exe it is a great chart for monitoring ALL temps

badmanh
01.04.2012 , 11:14 PM | #9
65 degreesis high but not the max a chip can go. They start popping at 80-100. Just get a new cooler after market ones are awesome.

Darthwreck
01.04.2012 , 11:15 PM | #10
Yeah since this patch load times have been ridiculous and the game has been taking up on average 50-75% of my CPU, which is outrageous.