Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Most FUN class to play (Discussion)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Most FUN class to play (Discussion)

Battilea
02.17.2012 , 04:15 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by vertigofm View Post
1. Fun is a relative word, but we're arguing primary mechanics here. Fun should be related to class quests, combat, and play-style. Fun is NOT measured by how much you like the IDEA of a Jedi Knight, or how much you love looking at your level 50 Sith Sorcerer.
The looking at your 50 sorcerer can contribute to fun, actually. More fun to play a cool looking character with awesome moves than it is to play an ugly one. Hence why there's so many complaints about the high end armors and that pressing sorcerer issue of pants.

Anyway, for me, having played a variety of Empire classes, going to have to go with tanking Assassin. Starts out slow, but picks up as it goes along. Stealth, positional tools, self healing, and so on, fun in groups, fun solo.

Mapex
02.17.2012 , 04:50 PM | #32
I've played:

To 40+: Guardian, Powertech

To 30+: Marauder (beta, pre-Fury), Shadow (beta), Gunslinger (beta)

The most fun in order:
Gunslinger > Powertech > Marauder == Shadow > Guardian

GS is so difficult to play correctly and so rewarding. The three specs are vastly different in playstyle, more so than with most other ACs, and each is fun in its own right. The playstyle is an invigorating faith-restorer in a genre that usually has lots of faceroll characters.

Powertech is of course very fun to play, mainly because of the ability synergies and animations. This class is covered in flash; no other class can match the aesthetic appeal. While other classes tend to spam a single ability for most of their damage, the Powertech uses Flame Burst (a pretty awesome ability in its own right) spam for the sake of proccing more powerful, impressive looking abilities.

Marauder is a melee GS, in essence. Because of the fast-paced nature of a berserker melee class who also has to manage multiple abilities like the GS, this class plays like a fighting game (whereas GS plays like a cover-based TPS); it's absolutely nuts.

The most frustrating in order from greatest to least:
Gunslinger > Guardian > Shadow == Marauder > Powertech

Cover is clunky and non-intuitive - it is nothing like Mass Effect or DX:HR even though it copies some of their ideas in an MMO-friendlier way. If we remove the bugs, it still a very user-unfriendly mechanic that exponentially increases the barrier to entry. I would only recommend the best MMO players and/or people who love a challenge to play the class.

Guardian is frustrating because it lacks the flash you'd expect from the class, especially after seeing Ven Zallow and the Zabrak Jedi Master in the SWTOR cinematics. The animations for this class are far from agile; you are just a faster swinging Juggernaut at best. If the class had more flash, half the frustration would disappear. The other half is how penalized melee classes are in this game, especially in PvE. Finally, the Defense tree needs massive work.

Shadow and Marauder were fine in beta and have only been strengthened since then. My frustrations were how these classes were so easily kited and didn't seem to have an identity until getting very high into their trees.
Streamlining Cover to be More User-Friendly and Intuitive
Improving the Adv. Prototype/Tactics Tree
Imperial: Mapex (PT) | Jerro (Sorcerer) | Khallus (SM) | Vinegarstrokes (Operative)
Republic: Mapekz (GS) | Khallas (JG) | Ammon (Shadow) | Bobbumman (Commando)

Maruchani
02.17.2012 , 11:04 PM | #33
IA's storyline was the best for me so far (lvl 36. still a lot to explore), as for actually liking the abilities in warzones and pve..Vanguard/Powertech.
"and they both savored the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who are only ignorant of ordinary things."

Deluged
02.18.2012 , 11:36 AM | #34
Good guys: Consular-shadow.

Bad guys: Bounty H.-mercenary.

Favorite ship....consular........and.......Agent
Uneasy lays the head that wears the crown

Paydroid
02.18.2012 , 12:35 PM | #35
You guys are crazy, Guardians/Juggernauts are awesome. If you don't enjoy flinging your lightsaber around, leaping to friends and allies, force pushing and choking people... do you even like Star Wars?

I think the class is crazy fun.

Callin
02.18.2012 , 08:57 PM | #36
most fun i have had playing has been with the utmost gimped worst playstyle ever.

Single Saber Assassin.

And get this folks... i still faceroll through content. Im lvl 40 right now and i just cant get enough of it.
Dark Jedi

Naserick
02.18.2012 , 11:14 PM | #37
i've played pretty much every class to at least lvl 15. So far I can honestly say that isn't enough to get a true feel for a class. you need to at least play it to lvl 35.

but of the class's that i've played to that lvl I would say my sentinal is my favorite, for a combo of game mechanics in pvp and the great story so far.
Only the strong can afford mercy, and I am strong indeed.

darkonnis
02.19.2012 , 04:13 AM | #38
Tried just about everything except smuggler to level 12, most things to 20+ and a few 50s
Honestly, i enjoyed the marauder most, the storyline was.... good, not fantastic brilliant, but good. The game play ties in well with the emperors wrath title (when we still had it) in that we're all out attack. The toon honestly feels like its either idling, or going all out, theres no in between.
The companions, bar 1, are some of the better ones in this game. For the most part, you end up with a crew that makes sense, a few odd bits but ultimately, the fit in nicely.
Darth Bain, Black Dawn Syndicate - 50 Assassin - Luka Sene
Valar Morghulis, Apotheosis - 50 Marauder - Luka Sene

Helig
02.19.2012 , 04:23 AM | #39
Guardian Knight at 50, with at least 126 rating gear. Extremely dynamic, requires a lot of strategy and situational awareness to use your mobility with 110% efficiency to survive, protect and destroy, relatively challenging resource management, compared to self-filling bars (I also run Shadow, Sage, Sniper, Sawbones and PT).

The gear "requirement" is there because you're melee, and you're extremely exposed. You need some survivability to be able to do anything without being killed before your Resolve bar even fills up. And the class scales very well. It may be rather unimpressive baseline, with low-end gear, but once you get it pumped, it's more than a match for equally-geared opposition.

Second most fun is probably Sawbones Scoundrel. Very challenging, because, unlike other healers, you can't tank enemies - you have to rely on positioning and planning to survive. The healing\resource system is kind of unwieldy, compared to the competition, but it's manageable, once you get used to it.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

Vales
02.19.2012 , 04:47 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by GamblerLee View Post
Most fun class for me is the juggernaut. Played Inquisitor; the game felt like easy mode. All the gunners feel like they use nerf guns. Juggernaut is a challenge, and you have to use tons of skills to be good. Inquisitor can mash just one skill to kill everything. I don't like playing the easier-to-use classes :3
Tell me great master which one button only must I press to kill everything?
Or is it you make up crap on the spot?

Quote: Originally Posted by Astasia View Post
/snip

Sorcerer is probably second place, they have a huge energy bar that never runs out in normal fights, and they throw all sorts of lightning and cool looking "dark" effects around. Not as impressive as the BH's explosions, but much more exciting than the Sage's pebbles. Speaking of which... "I'm going to throw pebbles and dust at you until you die" was not what I imagined the class would be like.

/snip
Project, Turbulence and TK Wave >>>>>> than any of the same old purple lightning you see 24/7 from that class.
This game needs more Kel Dor!