Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Commando trooper DPS- SKILLS & ROTATION help please!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Trooper > Commando
Commando trooper DPS- SKILLS & ROTATION help please!

Arbegla
01.23.2012 , 05:14 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
Grav Round, Grav Round, Grav Round, Grav Round. Sure mixing in HIB is smart but this video shows a player need only beat on the GR key to be effective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUUWIgm5ssE

Until logging hits and a detailed analysis can be performed this "technique" is effective, dead simple and ridiculously boring.
For PvP.. maybe.. but in PvE.. you want to use FA, HiB and demo round as much as possible, due to higher damage values, and less ammo usage (HiB costs 1 ammo, FA is almost ammo neutral, especially if it crits, and demo round hits like a mack truck)

Hiro-Protagonist
01.23.2012 , 08:16 PM | #22
A grav round followed immediately by demo round will take down a lot of weak mobs. If both crit (40% crit chance with smuggler buff) I can get 7.5k in instant damage. If just one crits it is still close to the 4k needed to take down a weak enemy. This is one of my personal faves when playing my trooper: watching health bars disappear on weak enemies.

On boss fights the important skill to learn is knowing when to burn your ammo. This will take some practice, but if you time it right you should be out of ammo the second that recharge comes off cd and you should end fights with nearly zero ammo. However, you do run the risk of the other dps wiping just before the boss dies leaving you with just hammer shots. If you trust the other DPS in your group go for the deep ammo burn, it's a blast.

Swuge
01.23.2012 , 08:25 PM | #23
I have the columni set bonus 4/5 of having high impact bolt cost nothing, just as a heads up.
my rotation goes a little something like this:
grav round
grav round
grav round (stacks all 5 armor debuffs)
demo round
full auto (should crit once and recharge an ammo slot)
grav round
grav round
high impact bolt

repeat

This is cost-efficient and a very simple way to do serious damage in a boss fight.
i also work sticky grenade in there when its off cooldown.
If you find yourself losing ammo, stop spamming grav round. you shouldn't use it more than 3x in a row at any given time. if you do use it three times again and demo round isnt off cooldown, either full auto and utilize the extra ammo cell generated or hammer shot if you have to, but i don't even need hammer shot in my rotation
~Let them hate, so long as they fear~
The Gray Order- The Shadowlands

Hiro-Protagonist
01.23.2012 , 08:36 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Swuge View Post
I have the columni set bonus 4/5 of having high impact bolt cost nothing, just as a heads up.
You also have the 15% increased crit on grav round. If you stacked crit and surge that should put your crit chance (with raid buffs) at ~55% for grav round which refunds one ammo (limit once every 3 seconds). That means just 3 ammo for every 2 grav rounds, on average.

Jasputan
01.24.2012 , 09:29 AM | #25
A tip for ammo regen: Use hammer shot in-between every 2-3 abilities that use ammo (not including FA). This should keep your ammo right around the .6 ammo/sec regen mark.

As stated earlier, every time your recharge cells is up you should dump all your ammo into the target and then hit recharge cells. It should never be off cd on a fight. The ability that causes your enxt attack to use no ammo (I forget what it is called) is useful as well, I try to use that on cd.

As far as rotation goes what people have stated above is what I agree with as well. Seems like the only point of contention is whether to start with FA or GR... I can see the benefits to both. Starting with FA ensures that your CoF proc is actually useful, starting with GR allows you to stack the debuff faster and also means that your FA benefits from the debuff. I personally lean towards opening with FA, however it seems hard to really say for certain what is better without a combat log.

Freeborne
01.24.2012 , 09:46 AM | #26
My personal rotation for Boss Fights.

1. Grav Round
2. Grav Round
3. Grav Round
4. HiB
5. Demo Round.
6. Aggro Reducing Skill on 45 second CD (Cannot recall the exact name, sorry.)
7. Hammer Shot
8. Hammer Shot
9. Grav Round
10. Full Maybe Auto*.
11. Hammer Shot.

I the juggle 2 hammer shots to a Grav Round, and pop HiB/Demo round as I can needed.

*There's not many boss fights in end game ops that let you stay still for protracted periods of time. So I tend to save my Full Auto until directly AFTER the boss does their first knock back/Bad You Can't Stand In, etc, and work it into my rotation after that. It sucks to start FA and have it canceled right away.

I also always lead off with 3 Grav rounds because that 20% Armor Reduction helps the whole group. I'm a team player. I obviously don't have any numbers on me, but I'm sure 20% armor reduction for everyone in the Ops group pumps out more DPS than lowly Full Auto will.
The Ebon Hawk: 50 Commando, Shep'ard. 50 Guardian, Asha'man
Want a global LFG channel? Type "/cjoin LFG" on your server and get others to do the same!

Jasputan
01.24.2012 , 12:13 PM | #27
Using Demo and HIB one after another doesn't make much sense gcd wise. Always better to use instants right after a channelled ability.

And I see where you are coming from with the idea of getting your arm pen debuff up quickly, the question is just whether having it up for an extra 2-3 seconds longer equates to a larger Dps increase than a potential "extra" FA does. This question is impossible to answer without a combat log. Cant really say which is better than the other Atm.

Freeborne
01.24.2012 , 12:35 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Jasputan View Post
Using Demo and HIB one after another doesn't make much sense gcd wise. Always better to use instants right after a channelled ability.
I don't really understand your logic in this.

Regardless of using a channeled skill or not, I'm going to have to wait for the GCD after I use Demo or HiB. I use them both off right away so I can use them again asap.

And then more often than not I'm using them while moving later on. : )

Here's what I'd like to see some data/combat logs on:

When you're in motion and your Grav Round debuffs have fallen off the boss: when does it become worth it to use your demo round vs. saving it until you stack up 5 more debuffs?
The Ebon Hawk: 50 Commando, Shep'ard. 50 Guardian, Asha'man
Want a global LFG channel? Type "/cjoin LFG" on your server and get others to do the same!

ArchangelLBC
01.24.2012 , 04:08 PM | #29
Honestly with enough Crit, ammo regen becomes the big variable. I've gone through 3 rotations and more at times on bosses (think Bulwark on D7 so you don't even have to move, just sit back and unload) and had absolutely no problem staying in full regen mode for ammo. If you're getting lucky on Curtain of Fire procs and Crits you plain don't need to use hammershot.

But that means you REALLY need to pay attention to your ammo bar. If you get lucky for a few rotations in a row you start to just sit back and hit buttons without paying attention and next thing you know you're at 2 ammo which is what I save Recharge Cells for. Most of the time I feel its safe to dip one ammo into the next lower regen tier at which point I hammer shot, get back to standard regen, and then back to abilities which do significant damage.

To the OP, my admittedly limited experience at 50 (I've done several HMs and have 2 pieces of columni but otherwise in daily modded orange gear) says that most of what everyone is saying is correct, though I definitely fall in the "open with full auto because why the hell not?" camp. It's still good damage, it's ammo neutral, and if Curtain of Fire procs you finish the cooldown anyway, and if it doesn't the rest of your abilities (5 grav rounds, a demo round, a HiB, in whatever order you fire them off) added to the channel time of Full Auto will mean the cooldown finishes just as you're ready for it anyway.

Also to the poster that wasn't sure, HiB DOES consume the Charged Barrel buff so everytime you fire it off you have to restart from the beginning, meaning the 5 Grav Round rotation becomes pretty much a staple.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Jasputan
01.24.2012 , 06:37 PM | #30
What is your crit rating Arch? I only recently hit 50 so my crit rating unbuffed is only like 28%. Thus why I have to weave hammer shot in more. I have heard that 40% raid buffed is fairly easy, which equates to what like 34% unbuffed? Just trying to judge where I am at right now.