Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My views on Early Access are 50/50

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
My views on Early Access are 50/50

Hypernetic
12.13.2011 , 06:45 PM | #11
What do people think the servers are going to be like on the 20th? It's not as if all the people who got in during early access simply disappear.

xoaxie
12.13.2011 , 06:49 PM | #12
If the servers can't handle all the players today, how are they going to handle it in 7 days?
Wish in one hand......

Drahh
12.13.2011 , 06:54 PM | #13
Im not upset about not having early access.

What I was pissed about though was how the launch is being handled i.e. the game codes needed to play the game. I know EA saw the issues and confusion because they added more info about the game codes and how it should be handled.

They were informative for the most part, but still vague on some other things.

sotaka
12.13.2011 , 07:03 PM | #14
I've read about the transition from Pre-Release play over to Release-play, and I must admit, I don't think it was a very good choice, either. However, I am sure someone else has beaten me to that (As well as this) in terms of well-thought out topics.

To be fair, the fact that there isn't a grace period - which is the largest complaint I've heard - is probably the worst part of it. Thankfully for me, I'll be at work on Tuesday so I should hopefully come home to a package on my porch.

this is assuming UPS isn't stupid and decides they need a signature from Amazon when they don't )=< They added that policy recently and I ripped them on it for SR3.

ialsoagree
12.13.2011 , 07:04 PM | #15
There's a few things people need to realize:

The game world is heavily instanced, part of the problems for an MMO launch is that everyone is accessing the exact same instances driving the servers that run those instances to a halt. The servers, as a whole, are capable of hosting all the players, the problem is that they're incapable of hosting them all in the same location simultaneously.

That's why early access was created, and has been used in most major MMO releases for the past few years. It gives those who have pre-ordered a "perk" and - more importantly - it spreads the population out across the game world, rather than trying to dump a few million people into the starting zones.

If you're looking for some terrible MMO launches, check out a recap of Anarchy Online's abysmal failure (one that almost tanked the MMO entirely):

http://biobreak.wordpress.com/2009/1...nlines-launch/

Bare in mind, their problems persisted for over TWO MONTHS. When staring down the barrel of more than a million subscriptions, that's pissing away at least 15 million dollars in subscription revenue alone, just to offer back a single free month.
Having trouble signing up for game testing? Check this thread out for possible solutions:
http://swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=75371
If that doesn't help, post your problem here:
http://swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=75306

sotaka
12.13.2011 , 07:38 PM | #16
When was that game released again? Part of it might be the culture and expectations of the game. BioWare knows and has the resources for a much bigger title - while from that article, they're quoted as saying 'we had more than we expected.'

Nowadays, launches are recovering quicker and running smoother within the first week. The simple fact of the matter is, companies are realising how much of a pop culture online gaming is - and with the branding of Star Wars on this game, they know to expect a good number of people, gamers or possible newcommers, to be coming in droves.

But your point is a good / valid one. If their aim is to reduce the requests to an area, it is possibly wise to do it this way. Still, other posters have made the point that it was handled incorrectly - in that everyone is just expected to 'wait for an email', everyone should have gotten an email before today saying 'Your start day is:XXX'

Major_Mayhem
12.13.2011 , 08:01 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by sotaka View Post
When was that game released again? Part of it might be the culture and expectations of the game. BioWare knows and has the resources for a much bigger title - while from that article, they're quoted as saying 'we had more than we expected.'

Nowadays, launches are recovering quicker and running smoother within the first week. The simple fact of the matter is, companies are realising how much of a pop culture online gaming is - and with the branding of Star Wars on this game, they know to expect a good number of people, gamers or possible newcommers, to be coming in droves.

But your point is a good / valid one. If their aim is to reduce the requests to an area, it is possibly wise to do it this way. Still, other posters have made the point that it was handled incorrectly - in that everyone is just expected to 'wait for an email', everyone should have gotten an email before today saying 'Your start day is:XXX'
They should have let the Beta Testers that pre-ordered go first, and by beta testers I mean "Working" Beta Testers - People that actually worked at testing the game by finding bugs and/or submitting reports.

I know some people may get upset by this suggestion but there is actually a method to my madness, or a madness to my method ... any way ...

Beta testers have already played the game and know allot about the starting areas. It's not to far of a stretch to assume beta testers will clear those areas the fastest.

Since most beta testers have shown to have an above average commitment to the the game and it's community it's also not to much to assume that many beta testers will be on hand to help newer players as they come on-board to play.
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."

"Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit!" (Latin for "Whom Virtue Unites, Death Will Not Separate")

sotaka
12.13.2011 , 09:03 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Major_Mayhem View Post
They should have let the Beta Testers that pre-ordered go first, and by beta testers I mean "Working" Beta Testers - People that actually worked at testing the game by finding bugs and/or submitting reports.

I know some people may get upset by this suggestion but there is actually a method to my madness, or a madness to my method ... any way ...

Beta testers have already played the game and know allot about the starting areas. It's not to far of a stretch to assume beta testers will clear those areas the fastest.

Since most beta testers have shown to have an above average commitment to the the game and it's community it's also not to much to assume that many beta testers will be on hand to help newer players as they come on-board to play.
The way of saying 'People who actually tested' is rather subjective. You could play and never find a bug, even if you look for one. Or you might find hundreds. Regardless of your intention going into the beta test, I don't feel that is a good qualifier.

Also, both groups are needed - those who dig for bugs, as well as those who just want to play the game. So long as they submit a bug report if they find one, they are fufilling a role.

Slipperry
12.13.2011 , 09:12 PM | #19
All of this pre order stuff could have been avoided had they sent emails giving everyone a time frame of a couple hours when there access would be. People at this point want to know when is my turn. I just ask they communicate better rather than turn the phone off.

sotaka
12.13.2011 , 09:13 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Slipperry View Post
All of this pre order stuff could have been avoided had they sent emails giving everyone a time frame of a couple hours when there access would be. People at this point want to know when is my turn. I just ask they communicate better rather than turn the phone off.
Fair enough. It's a good point for a lot of people that just want to know when.