Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

You Can't Change Your Advanced Class!?!?!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
You Can't Change Your Advanced Class!?!?!

jepurv
07.05.2012 , 11:48 AM | #521
This is a common argument concerning the issue of advanced classes: "other games don't let you go from warrior to mage, so swtor should not allow people to change their advanced class."

This argument, fails to take into consideration the nature of SWTORs class system and how fundamentally different it is from those other games. SWTOR has a base class system that splits into different advanced classes at level 10. WoW, on the other hand, forces the player into a class that will be the same from lvl 1 to cap. While this has been criticized it actually allows the player to make decisions concerning play-style and roles faster and more efficiently.

Conversely, SWTOR has you play through a fundamental class arbitrarily for 10 levels. This is why there are no flashpoints until lvl 10. In some cases, these first 10 levels have absolutely no relevance to the eventual switch being made at lvl 10 when choosing an advanced class. For instance, the Inquisitor base class plays nothing the assassin. So, once you choose assassin and play it for the first time at lvl 10 you are screwed. I though some portion of the base style and function of the Inquisitor would be retained in the assassin build but it really wasn't.

Had I known that I wasn't going to enjoy the assassin at lvl 10-15 then I would have promptly switched to sorcerer and leveled to 10 to try it out beyond lvl 10. However, as many of us can probably agree, stopping to lvl a new character while your friends are blasting through levels each day is a major setback should you want to get capped and engage in endgame material.

While this system was intended to provide choice, it actually restricts choice. In reality, there are 16 classes in the game. Why not just have these 16 classes available at lvl 1 , have their play-style accurately represented from the start, and allow players to get to know them faster rather than delaying the most important choice a player has to make about his/her character?

I think that while this system was implemented with good intentions, it has proven to be ineffective for many and should be revisited in the near future. I, for one, would much rather play a sorcerer than an assassin. I would love to see an option to change advanced classes. As is, my 50 assassin is just sitting there and it will probably be difficult for me to maintain a high level of interest in the game. My friends have all quit the game, I have come back for a month to test the 1.3 patch. I will probably move on to something else though as it seems that this game is having difficulty in meeting the most basic of needs.

Can I also say that for a new game SWTOR has one of the most confusing gear systems. What stats are important for the assassin class? Which of the four different choices available are right for my assassin? The sorcerer uses willpower but so does the assassin. Shouldn't as assassin look different from the sorcerer?

The class system already needs an overhaul in this game. Its a bit convoluted IMO.
Go that way........really fast. If something gets in your way.....turn.

Mobius_Harley
03.26.2013 , 08:59 PM | #522
Quote: Originally Posted by Hiramas View Post
Ac is your class.
You NEVER EVER IN ANY MMO can change from Mage to Rogue.
Deal with it.
Bioware told you 10 times over (I just put a char above ten yesterday) that AC is permanent and CAN'T BE CHANGED.
Roll a new char, it takes about 5 or 6 hours. Less if you skip the conversations you already know now.
Im pretty sure i had one character in FFXI and 16 level 90 jobs....

Uvirith
03.27.2013 , 04:05 AM | #523
Quote: Originally Posted by HossDelgado View Post
I've been playing the Imperial Agent for a few days now. At level 10, after much consideration, I decided to go operative over sniper because it seemed like a cool class that snuck around and then stabbed people. However, after awhile I decided that operative was much too slow and had pitiful damage output, so I just thought to myself "well I tried out operative and didn't like it, I should probably go sniper". That's when I found out that YOU CAN NEVER CHANGE YOUR ADVANCED CLASS. Why wouldn't Bioware let players change their advanced class. At this point I was level 18 and if I wanted to go sniper I would have to repeat about 3 days of work. I have loved this game so far, but this is the first major issue that I have run into. I hate myself for saying this, but WoW did it better.
1.) It tells you that two times in seperate windows when chossing the advanced class.

2.) Dont think of Imperial Agent as your class, its merely name for the tutorial. You chosse your class at level 10. Its the same concept as in Aion for example. In aion you choose Warrior and with level 10 you become Guardian or Gladiator.

Again: IA is NOT your class, Operative is.

Greetz,
Uvi

PS: I wished BioWare would let us pick the advanced class at the character generation. That way nobody would ask for changing their classes.
Uviryth Hammerhand, Kinetic Combat-Shadow
<Founder>

JamieKirby
03.27.2013 , 04:46 AM | #524
Quote: Originally Posted by VanorDM View Post
Really?

Wow let you change from a lvl 18 warrior to a lvl 18 paladin?

Pretty sure you couldn't do that in WoW, so I'm not sure why you'd make a statement like this, because that's what you are asking to do.
They allowed race change and faction change, nothing more then that.

The thing that people seem to do is make the mistake of thinking the respecc'ing in wow is like AC changing in swtor....some people can be like that i guess.

Yinican
03.27.2013 , 07:26 AM | #525
Quote: Originally Posted by Uvirith View Post
1.) It tells you that two times in seperate windows when chossing the advanced class.

2.) Dont think of Imperial Agent as your class, its merely name for the tutorial. You chosse your class at level 10. Its the same concept as in Aion for example. In aion you choose Warrior and with level 10 you become Guardian or Gladiator.

Again: IA is NOT your class, Operative is.

Greetz,
Uvi

PS: I wished BioWare would let us pick the advanced class at the character generation. That way nobody would ask for changing their classes.
Dude, look at the date when the OP posted the thread.

chimex
03.27.2013 , 07:32 AM | #526
Quote: Originally Posted by Mobius_Harley View Post
True, but you have to start from scratch for each class, just like re-rolling. Also, FFXI has one free character slot, you have to pay for the rest.
The Progenitor (RP): Shazmi:<Crimson Moon>

VorKoom
03.27.2013 , 07:37 AM | #527
Quote: Originally Posted by Mobius_Harley View Post
Nice one dude, you just necroed! a thread from almost a year go, May 2012

Uvirith
03.27.2013 , 08:58 AM | #528
Quote: Originally Posted by Yinican View Post
Dude, look at the date when the OP posted the thread.
woah, I fell victim to a thread-necromancer. shame on you mobiusharley !
Uviryth Hammerhand, Kinetic Combat-Shadow
<Founder>

SWTORfusion
05.10.2013 , 08:19 PM | #529
actally i hate jedi senteil cause its gear isnt the best to me can you tell me the best jedi senteil armor sets

Sam_Doe
05.15.2013 , 06:09 PM | #530
Quote: Originally Posted by Khechari View Post
The only problem I have with the current system is that there should be an epic quest chain to acquire your choice, rather than BOOM you're done.

...like- "To be come a sorcerer, head to the shrine of bullpiss on planet whatchamapiss, and get the ancient piss tablet of the sith. Use the tablet at the alter of urine to channel the wisdom of the ancestral sith sorcerers. "

or something like that^ with an epic cutscene
I would roll a Sorcerer just to play through that quest line.