Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

You Can't Change Your Advanced Class!?!?!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes

VanorDM
12.29.2011 , 05:28 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkhias View Post
I don't know of any MMOs where two "different" classes have 75% of the EXACT same abilities/spells.
Maybe you haven't gotten much past lvl 10 or so, but for those of us who have, we know that the above statement is pure BS.

There only skills shared between AC's are the ones you get during the first 10 levels. The difference between the AC's is quite huge.

whiskeymang
12.29.2011 , 05:30 PM | #22
I love self-entitled these players coming straight from WoW act.

"What do you mean I have to deal with the responsibility of my decision to not read something that showed up multiple times on my screen!?!? In WoW we never had to read anything!! I wanna do-over waahhhhh!"

Nevermind that doing no more than 2 minutes of research on www.google.com under "SWTOR advanced classes" brings up several dozen pages on most of which state, plain as the nose on your face, that picking an advanced class is permanent.

It's really comical.

TKMaster
12.29.2011 , 05:36 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Hiramas View Post
Ac is your class.
You NEVER EVER IN ANY MMO can change from Mage to Rogue.
Deal with it.
Bioware told you 10 times over (I just put a char above ten yesterday) that AC is permanent and CAN'T BE CHANGED.
Roll a new char, it takes about 5 or 6 hours. Less if you skip the conversations you already know now.
SWG let you change your class....of course it was one of the dumbest ideas ever, but still you could with no lvl penalty either.

GCRust
12.29.2011 , 05:42 PM | #24
Quote:

The game TELLS YOU THIS. The quest where you get sent to chose your AC Training warns you about it, and the AC trainer themselves tell you you cannot turn back from this choice.

At what point did that sound like "needless story fluff" and not a warning you should pay heed to? That's why I spent two hours sitting on the Republic Fleet trying to decide if I should go Guardian or Sentinel for my Jedi.
May the Force Be With You. May It Bring You Power.

qqemokitty
12.29.2011 , 05:49 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by whiskeymang View Post
I love self-entitled these players coming straight from WoW act.
So tired of comments like these. Ever so tired.

Anyway.

OP, the guy on the Fleet specifically tells you that your choice is permanent and cannot be changed.

Advanced Class is a CLASS. Not a specialization. You cannot change it.

You can, however, make another character.
Let them see what is not there, and feel what does not touch them.
When they no longer trust their senses... that is the time to strike.

whiskeymang
12.29.2011 , 06:00 PM | #26
You're tired of those comments because you see them so often.

You see them so often because they're true.

jwdaniels
12.29.2011 , 06:32 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by TKMaster View Post
SWG let you change your class....of course it was one of the dumbest ideas ever, but still you could with no lvl penalty either.
SWG didn't actually have classes, and it was far from a dumb idea - it was an absolutely brilliant idea that was implemented by a company with the collective intelligence of a box of rocks.

To the OP: re-roll and see how much faster you can blow through the content. It won't take you anything close to 3 days to replay it.

SirHaggis
12.29.2011 , 08:35 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by VanorDM View Post
Maybe you haven't gotten much past lvl 10 or so, but for those of us who have, we know that the above statement is pure BS.

There only skills shared between AC's are the ones you get during the first 10 levels. The difference between the AC's is quite huge.
You share a few abilities after level 10.

Trooper for example have 33 shared abilities, 19 vanguard only, and 22 commando only. A lot more then sharing 75% abilities.

Plus each has 2 unique skill trees and while the the shared trees are the same in name, the details are different for most skills.
Haggis Mmm good.

Cry Havoc and and let slip the Dogs of War!

Arkhias
12.29.2011 , 11:07 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by VanorDM View Post

Since you insist on parading your "knowledge" (emphasis on the quotes there) around internet forums, let me enlighten you.

Using my main class (Bounty Hunter) as an example and including talented spells as abilities:

Powertechs get 17 unique abilities and 28 shared abilities.
Mercenaries get 18 unique abilities and 28 shared shared abilities.

Thus, each of these unique, crystalline snowflakes of "classes" share 62% and 61% of their abilities with that other snowflake, respectively. The percentages increase when you consider only 2-3 of the unique talented spells may be taken at any one time. The other three classes show similar rates of shared abilities.

While not quite the quoted 75%, it's clear to anyone with a basic understanding of fractional math that the majority of abilities are shared between the corresponding advanced classes.

Now, I know what you're thinking - "But the advanced classes use this large shared bank of abilities, alongside their unique abilities, in different ways!" This statement should sound familiar, because it is precisely what talent specializations do and have always done.

If you want to argue the semantics of the term "class", and claim that the statement in the preceding paragraph is what defines a class, then I have to ask why not just divide the current advanced classes into three more "specialized" classes that one must also select permanently from?

TL;DR: Advanced classes are NOT identical to the traditional classes in other MMOs. Stop deluding yourself that they are.

AtomicDP
12.29.2011 , 11:39 PM | #30
Truly pathetic. They had several warnings you obviously weren't paying attention. Sith Warrior, Sith Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent are NOT classes they are the characters and their stories/respective mirrors on the republic. The true classes are the advanced classes such as the Imperial Agent's operative or sniper - both have different playstyles and are their own distinct classes but share the Imperial Agent's story because developing 8 individual stories and quests to accomodate would be illogical.
THE STARSHOOTER LEGACY