Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

All that said, I STILL have faith that BioWare will push to do the right thing here. It's one of the things that they're known for. P2G is not what BioWare is all about.

I guess we'll have to wait for Free2Play or the new year until the decide to tell us whether or not equal representation costs money. I'm under no illusions that they'll freely offer us the information, let alone the content.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess we'll have to wait for Free2Play or the new year until the decide to tell us whether or not equal representation costs money. I'm under no illusions that they'll freely offer us the information, let alone the content.

Like I said, hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. I believe BioWare will push for making SGRs free, but I'm also taking EA's greed into account when I say it's a very real possibility that EA will have the final word and make it P2G.

To be fair, there was some in a Jedi thread awhile back that wanted to shut off relationships via a toggle in order to "roleplay a [celibate] Jedi properly." That got shot down because, again, if a player doesn't want to return a [Flirt], they can always ignore them. ;)

Really? That's kind of funny.

Did they want to toggle off Dark Side Choices so they could "roleplay a LS Jedi properly"?

I think some people believe that the presented dialog options are three responses/actions that their character is considering simultaneously so if there's a [flirt] present on the wheel, the character is thinking about it (but can choose not the do it). That's silly if you think about.

In these type of RPGs, choosing the best response for your character from 3 (or more) dialogs is how you roleplay a character. These options are pretty much the same for all (well, except for the discriminatory gender differences in flirting availability).

About 60% of BW SGR stories involve breathless schoolgirl types going "*gasp* I know this is forbidden and so very wrong, but..." In a setting where it is okay to be openly gay it screws up that dynamic. :p

Like, which ones?

Edited by stuffystuffs

Like, which ones?

Did you miss the bit where the female Sith Warrior blushes furiously as Quinn pulls her into his strong arms and whispers sweet nothings in her ear, and you catch a glimpse of Pierce in the background preparing twin pistols at dawn?

Or when Andronikus quietly confesses his love for the female Sith Inquisitor under the falling petals of the cherry blossom tree and she dramatically swoons, then declares: "We can't! I was once a slave. I'm still tainted by my chains!" and then he, caressing her cheek and tears hanging from his long lashes, says that, too, was once a slave. A slave to menace of the Republic. End scene.

Or the moment when, as an Agent, you return to your ship and find Kaliyo wearing a little black dress and a blonde wig, standing next to a romantic dinner for two. I chose the option to question what she was doing, at which point she FLUNG herself at my Agent and beat her fists pitifully against his chest, screaming "I thought this would make you love me!"

My Agent later found Temple on the bridge, silent and still, her face stained with tears. "Go with her, you knew her the longest." She sounded so dead inside...

Ok, I admit that got a bit out of hand. It's not really a comment on the idea of "60% of romances being blushing schoolgirls" but rather how silly I find the idea that any of the female companions and characters I've run into would be blushing schoolgirls. The closest person to the description is Quinn. I couldn't even see Ashara being a blushing schoolgirl...

for all her want to hold onto the Jedi code.

Really? That's kind of funny.

Did they want to toggle off Dark Side Choices so they could "roleplay a LS Jedi properly"?

I think some people believe that the presented dialog options are three responses/actions that their character is considering simultaneously so if there's a [flirt] present on the wheel, the character is thinking about it (but can choose not the do it). That's silly if you think about.

Amusingly enough, it was suggested at one point in that thread to shut off DS/LS choices for "real" Jedis. I found it silly not only from a game perspective, but also from a roleplaying one as well. Jedi's are always going to have temptations towards the Dark Side, whether through romantic attachments or the feeling of power. That's why I feel it's equally silly and wrong to toggle off all romance content for that purpose. For example, a Jedi would have to deal with love, passion and the consequences therein. It would lose a lot of meaning I have towards my JK if he had the easiest choices all the time(i.e no romance and no DS choices available.)

Plus, generally speaking, many people out there have had to deal with unwanted flirting from time to time in real life. I think it adds a lot to the game for that to happen here, though there needs to be some balance. Male(rp'd gay) smuggler = too many unwanted flirts. On the other hand, Natashina(Jugg, rp'd bisexual) = not enough flirts, wanted or otherwise.

Now about those flirting equality issues...I know that's for another thread, but I did want to touch on it here some.

Edited by natashina

About 60% of BW SGR stories involve breathless schoolgirl types going "*gasp* I know this is forbidden and so very wrong, but..."

Let's see, I romanced Liara, Samara (for all the good that did me) and Samantha Traynor in ME, and Leliana in DAO, none of which made a big deal out of the homosexuality. So I guess I just don't see what you mean? Does this have something to do with the many BW RPGs that I didn't play?

for all her want to hold onto the Jedi code.

Don't make her go against her teachings!:rolleyes:

I'd heard about that too. I look forward to meeting Ashara in game, but it'll be a bit(Res'nullis is lvl 12.) Isn't she the male Sith Inquis' LI?

If so, double standards much? :p

Is she another Alderaan or Taris recruit(ala Loken?)

Edited by natashina

Now about those flirting equality issues...I know that's for another thread, but I did want to touch on it here some.

Equality isn't something this game has done very well, at all. I suppose we could bang on about the problems of [Flirt] options, the minutiae of representation (whether sex or race) in positions of power and of course the 'coolness' imbalance of the factions (Imperials are so stylish*) in skill animations and gear, but it would all be for naught considering that it has yet to be demonstrated that anyone relevant at Bioware actually cares about player's opinions. I know we whinge and we ***** and we moan ad nauseum, but if one is willing to sift through the vitriol and the vomit there are quite a few good points out there. The main problem is a lot of what people want to express has been dressed up in cruel tones and words due to frustration or general spite.

*We accept all lifestyles so long as it doesn't involve overt breeding with the lesser species (bastard offspring still allowed, but will not be seen or heard, of course), so naturally persecuted geniuses of all walks of life has set up shop on Dromund Kaas. Also nothing makes silk flow like the tears of slaves.

p.s. Before I get yelled at, the footnote is in jest. Kitten tears are what make silk so magical.

I'd heard about that too. I look forward to meeting Ashara in game, but it'll be a bit(Res'nullis is lvl 12.) Isn't she the male Sith Inquis' LI?

She's on Taris, so Chapter 2 of Sith Inquisitor line. And it's the most... argh... experience it for yourself. Let's just say whenever I've spoken to her she doesn't come across as the sharpest lightbulb in crayon tub.

*We accept all lifestyles so long as it doesn't involve overt breeding with the lesser species (bastard offspring still allowed, but will not be seen or heard, of course), so naturally persecuted geniuses of all walks of life has set up shop on Dromund Kaas. Also nothing makes silk flow like the tears of slaves.

p.s. Before I get yelled at, the footnote is in jest. Kitten tears are what make silk so magical.

You win with that statement. That nicely smartalecked comment nicely summed up the Imperial ideal. Great, that'll be going through my head while my DS sorc is in Dromund Kaas. :D

I mean that sincerely, you've enhanced my leveling experience in a very fun way.

She's on Taris, so Chapter 2 of Sith Inquisitor line. And it's the most... argh... experience it for yourself. Let's just say whenever I've spoken to her she doesn't come across as the sharpest lightbulb in crayon tub.

I think the problem with Ashara is that she thinks the Inqui is LS regardless of what your actual choices are. She works great with my Sela since she's all Neutral Good, in the Sith game for the fun and excitement of discovering ancient history, but towards the end of Act III where you're more out for power Ashara seems aggressively naïve.

She's lucky she looks gorgeous in Marauder armor.

Edited by HellbirdIV

Male SI LI you acquire her on Taris. I would say she's the only good thing to come out of that planet, but her lines are just so obnoxious I want to ~Force Choke~ her every other group of mobs. Which is irritating as she has such a great VA.

I think the problem with Ashara is that she thinks the Inqui is LS regardless of what your actual choices are. She works great with my Sela since she's all Neutral Good, in the Sith game for the fun and excitement of discovering ancient history, but towards the end of Act III where you're more out for power Ashara seems aggressively naïve.

She's lucky she looks gorgeous in Marauder armor.

Unless its marauder armor with a bare midriff, or did they fix her lack of skin only shows weird grey and black unskinned body model thing while I wasn't looking?

Unless its marauder armor with a bare midriff, or did they fix her lack of skin only shows weird grey and black unskinned body model thing while I wasn't looking?

I don't think they fixed it yet, no, but I was mainly talking about the Tionese tier gear I've picked up for her.

Just came to this thread from another one in the General Discussions- I was getting angry at people saying that SGRs aren't at all related in the Star Wars Universe, obviously because they had problems with it. And NO, you can't just assume that all people who want it are ***** 16 year old boys who want to see Lesbian romances. I sincerely want to see SGRs for the STORY. As stated at the homophobes before, if you don't like it, you don't have to participate in it.

Just came to this thread from another one in the General Discussions- I was getting angry at people saying that SGRs aren't at all related in the Star Wars Universe, obviously because they had problems with it. And NO, you can't just assume that all people who want it are ***** 16 year old boys who want to see Lesbian romances. I sincerely want to see SGRs for the STORY. As stated at the homophobes before, if you don't like it, you don't have to participate in it.

Don't worry, you're safe here, we've all suffered similar attacks.

Male SI LI you acquire her on Taris. I would say she's the only good thing to come out of that planet, but her lines are just so obnoxious I want to ~Force Choke~ her every other group of mobs. Which is irritating as she has such a great VA.

As annoying as some of those lines are and her naivety toward my darkside Inquisitor, I can forgive it all purely because she's voiced by the actress who played Cassie in series 7 of Buffy, and therefore totally rocks xD

I had a related incident earlier. I hope the OP got a chance to read my reply before BW cleaned up the mess:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v20/blue_wolf/swtorphobe.png

First off, welcome to the thread Aelix and Sup! It's really sad that you've both gone through this on the General Forums. Hopefully you got the people flagged and reported you had to. While some people can be disrespectful and disruptive on the forums, that kind of attitude does get checked at the door to this thread. We flag, report and ignore trolls(for the most part,) and that kind of hatred won't be found here.

Unfortunately, ToR is like a lot of online games; the most..ahem...vocal and aggressive side of a player base tends to congregate there and they love to drown out any reason and common sense. It's really sad that it keeps happening in games, but alas there is only so much the mods can do. I'm glad you found a safe haven here. We do try and stay proactive so the mods can have a bit easier time. :jawa_biggrin:

Don't worry, you're safe here, we've all suffered similar attacks.

Heya Ray! Happy to see you around. Thanks for all the support and well wishes you've sent our way!

Aelix, if you ever hear the mouthbreathers state that, "There is no gays in SW," just pass them this quote:

9) Is SGR even canonically in Star Wars?

Yes! There are plenty of examples of SGRs in the Star Wars IP. In the games, it began with original Knights of the Old Republic in 2003, with the companion Juhani, who would only romance female Revans. There was also a same gender romance in the books as well, with Goran Beviin, who's husband was Medrit Vasur. Goran was first featured in the e-book Boba Fett: A Practical Man. The two of them were later fully realized in the book Sacrifice, both of which were by created by author Karen Traviss. They are officially recognized as canon.

To quote David Lee Roth, they can eat 'em and smile. :D

Edited by natashina

As far as I am concerned gay relationships are not a good thing because someone wrote it in some book - I have developed a strong phobia about the word "canon" yet. When I hear it keep my ears shut and speak "You will find one day that many truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." a hundred times.

It is a good thing because it's the only fair assumption in a world as colorful, multicultural, with so many species. There are all kinds of love even in the strangest places, all kinds of beauty. It just wouldn't work for me if there was nothing gay about it at all - not every single one, but a lot people. People leave restraints to their species behind in the wink of an eye but avoid anything homosexual like a direct assault on a star destroyer with a YT-3000 transport? I don't believe that. Sweet dreams are made of this. Who am I to disagree?

Edited by Rabenschwinge

I put in that it was canon to make readers of the FAQ aware that George Lucas has okay'd this. So the arguments that either Lucas wouldn't allow gay relationships and/or there is nothing outside of ToR related to homosexuality are invalid.

I've heard this so many times its silly, in cases like Sup's. :rolleyes:

Nothing gets by without Lucas' say so and this is why it's listed as canon. He knew what the content was and put in in the greater Lore of SW. I think it's a good thing it's there and an official part of the SW EU. It shows the support Lucasarts has for many types of relationships. :)

Wasn't trying to offend, promise.

Edited by natashina

I put in that it was canon to make readers of the FAQ aware that George Lucas has okay'd this. So the arguments that either Lucas wouldn't allow gay relationships and/or there is nothing outside of ToR related to homosexuality are invalid.

I realise you've covered the "LucasArts says it's ok" stance in your FAQ, but you may also want to add that Mr. Lucas himself supports equality and has donated to equal rights causes, as I know many people like to say "Mr. Lucas would NEVER allow it :rolleyes:"

Of course you've likely already considered that and rejected the idea...

On the subject of me filling Ms. Berryman's inbox with requests for even basic acknowledgement that this subject is still around, I've not yet had a response. I do not expect anything from Ms. Berryman or Mr. Hood regarding SGRA's, but I will pester Ms. Berryman and Mr. Hood through Ms. Berryman if I feel it might be necessary. Lord knows no one's reading this thread.