Taunt and PvP tanking

theUndead

Hey guys

Now I do not post in the PvP forums very much but I read something about a week ago that interested me and I wanted to hear the opinions of experienced PvPers. Anyway, so about a week ago I was browsing the suggestion forums where I stumbled upon a thread detailing with taunts in PvP and how tanks have a very little role to play In PvP.

Naturally I disagreed but the poster was saying that currently in PvP all taunt does is mitigate damage which to me is actually good but then he went onto talk about what he called "proper" PvP tanking which meant that if he had his way taunt would actually force players to attack the person who was taunting. Again personally I do not think this would be a very good thing but I am wondering what you all think about it.

Basically should tanks in PvP actually be able to tank players with force able taunts? Tell me your thoughts.

Hey guys

Now I do not post in the PvP forums very much but I read something about a week ago that interested me and I wanted to hear the opinions of experienced PvPers. Anyway, so about a week ago I was browsing the suggestion forums where I stumbled upon a thread detailing with taunts in PvP and how tanks have a very little role to play In PvP.

Naturally I disagreed but the poster was saying that currently in PvP all taunt does is mitigate damage which to me is actually good but then he went onto talk about what he called "proper" PvP tanking which meant that if he had his way taunt would actually force players to attack the person who was taunting. Again personally I do not think this would be a very good thing but I am wondering what you all think about it.

Basically should tanks in PvP actually be able to tank players with force able taunts? Tell me your thoughts.

Tanks are already super strong at PVP. Guard should redirect 25% of damage, not 50%.

As a pure PVP tank, this idea is WAY too easy to exploit. Two exampes:

#1) Voidstar - I am on a ledge and my opponent is on the other angle of the ledge. If I hit taunt and he is a melee, is he to run directly towards me and make himself fall in to the pit?

#2) Huttball - My opponent is the ball carrier and headed towards my endzone, would taunting make him turn around and head back towards center in order to attack me?. If I taunt him after he crosses a flame jet, if he is melee will he turn around and walk through the fire to attack me OR if he is ranged, will he set up his cover right there on the flame vent?

The damage reduction is a great idea to make taunting useful in pvp. Losing control of a character would be too easy for exploits. The only alternative idea I could have is that the opponent(s) wipe their current selected target and now target the tank who taunted. That way they have to [Tab] back to their original target or mouse-click them again.

Just my 2 credits

Darth Enrage @ Ebon Hawk

55 Assassin PVP Tank

Tanking is fine the way it is

This.

Tanks are actually Tanky now compard to pre 2.0 wher they just lived an extra two gcds over dps, and serve a important group role beyond ball carrier.

Most of the nerf tanks thread stem from dps Heroes flipping out that they can't burn something down easily..

Do you guys think taunts should force players to attack the tank? That is kind of what I am asking.

Guarding a target already "forces" the enemy to attack you. They hit your guarded target, and half of the damage goes to the tank.

Otherwise no, there would be a huge potential for abuse if taunts forced a target on players (not to mention ground -targetted/cone/PBAoE skills would be ignoring that mechanic).

Tanks are already super strong at PVP. Guard should redirect 25% of damage, not 50%.

I both agree and disagree. Guard is indeed a little strong, but, unless stronger taunts are tied to the tank stance, DPS-specced taunt classes will become considerably more annoying.

Moreover, I think that specced tank's taunts should lower damage on *everyone*, including the tank.

Edited by Helig

PvP tanking is fine. It's finally working like it should have all along. Tanks have higher HP, are able to mitigate damage, and are hard as hell to kill. Yes? Of course. This has been the cornerstone of tanking since the very first MMOs, so don't act like it's some new or broken game mechanic.

Taunt is working as it should. In PvE, MOBs are literally forced to attack the tank. Since that obviously can't happen in PvP, the taunted player is given a choice. Either attack the tank for 6 seconds or be penalized with reduced damage output on current target(s). In essence, you're making the choice NOT to attack the tank and are whining about it.

There are visual and audible queues to taunt, kids. You should know when you've been taunted. L2P issue.

He is not my friend just a poster I saw who made the suggestion.

In that case, the game "City of Heroes" had a PvP system where a taunt, would forcibly throw the targeting off from your initial target and switch it to the originator of the taunt. Literally your target box was ripped off from your target and forcibly reset onto the tank for a few seconds.

...and in that game, the "DPS" there was powerful enough to two-shot a squishy to its death within 3 seconds.

So apply that to SWTOR, and what you have is truly an OP combination. Healer/Tank combos will be indestructible, because there would be no way to focus on anything else before the tank. It will literally, kill the game.

The only way to avoid that would be to implement a sub-system that greatly penalizes taunts, something like when a taunted enemy attacks you, your defense or damage resistance against him is cut by half or something... and I know for a fact that with that system in place, the tanks will then stop using taunts as a whole. The whole taunt-guard mechanic is destroyed, due to something that doesn't even work properly.

Literally your target box was ripped off from your target and forcibly reset onto the tank for a few seconds.

Hey, at least if an enemy tank threw out an AEO taunt, your team would suddenly be focus firing! Might be the only way to get some teams to do so. :D

It's a horrible idea, and anyone suggesting it plainly can't cope with the fact his opponents don't act like PvE automatons in PvP.

It would seem it's the guy suggesting it who can't handle "Proper PvP".