Steam Community interface?

Colonel_Black

Doesn't that technically go against the EULA because you are mofifying the game.

No, you're just using steam to launch the game shortcut and that usually runs the overlay, its really no different than making your own shortcut to the launcher. You can add anything to steam, a friend of mine has photoshop in her games list so she can use the overlay to chat

I suspect the problem is that the launcher is a different program to the game itself and the overlay doesn't transfer to the game

I suspect the problem is that the launcher is a different program to the game itself and the overlay doesn't transfer to the game

Yup. This is the problem. When the launcher quits, Steam goes "oh, its quit". So you have to build a sort of secondary launcher wrapper, that launches the launcher, then sits and waits... so it gives steam something to latch onto and link to. Its complicated, and I don't know the specifics on how to pull it off. Dang can't find that thread that had a partial explanation!

Yup. This is the problem. When the launcher quits, Steam goes "oh, its quit". So you have to build a sort of secondary launcher wrapper, that launches the launcher, then sits and waits... so it gives steam something to latch onto and link to. Its complicated, and I don't know the specifics on how to pull it off. Dang can't find that thread that had a partial explanation!

No updates on this? ):

It's not possible to launch the game directly from it's own .exe file? I believe the launcher and the game are separate applications. Other MMOs work like this. Or does the game not allow itself to be launched without the launcher?

It's not possible to launch the game directly from it's own .exe file? I believe the launcher and the game are separate applications. Other MMOs work like this. Or does the game not allow itself to be launched without the launcher?

Nope. Launcher does all the authentication process, so its a required step. It then fires up swtor.exe, and quits the launcher. This is what confuses steam.

• 3 weeks later...

Bioware wouldnt care about making Steam, an completely 3rd party, and unrelated to SWTOR in any way, product, work or not work with their game IMO.

However, you might try attaching the actual game executable rather than the launcher executable to the steam and see if that will let it work.