General Grievous using lightsabers.

EdAraujo

Am I crazy or lightsabers are only used by force users because one need the force to control the laser bean into a blade form?

I read that somewhere, but now I realized that General Grievous was not a force user and manage to use lightsabers. What am I missing?

A lightsaber is just a device, no force using is needed to wield it. However, since the blade is weightless superhuman sensory perception (as granted by Force Sensitivity) is needed to prevent yourself from cutting yourself. In Grievous (AFAIK), his cybernetics gave him the perception needed.

Am I crazy or lightsabers are only used by force users because one need the force to control the laser bean into a blade form?

I read that somewhere, but now I realized that General Grievous was not a force user and manage to use lightsabers. What am I missing?

Anyone can Use a Lightsaber. Just not nessacarily in a decent way. And don't even think about parrying blaster bolts.

Greivous Weilded them with only a little bit more skill because he had someone Train him and he was mostly Machine.

Simple: It's not a laser.

A laser could not create a lightsaber blade for two simple reasons: one, the beam would keep going until diffused, not terminate at a fixed point; and two, two lasers intersecting would not clash and strike against each other.

A lightsaber's blade is plasma contained in a magnetic field. The incredibly-hot plasma is what gives a lightsaber its cutting, melting, and burning power, and the magnetic field that contains it allows the blades to behave like solid objects when they strike each other.

Only uneducated slave boys from Tattooine think of it as a "laser sword" ;)

Grievous was a cyborg. He also had four arms that enabled him to overwhelm Jedi. He was also extremely dangerous in his mortal life and correct me if I'm wrong had implants in his brain that increased his reaction speed.

Grevious wasn't the first or the last non-force user to wield a lightsaber. Hell Boba Fett was known to have used them on occasion from the Jedi he killed

Ya except he got floored when trying to fight Vader with one...Boba didn't think that one through apparently.

"Oh...i'll attack this dark lord of the sith with this lightsaber."

Not one of his bright moments.

Isn't there also something to do with gyroscopic motion within the hilt when the beam is active, meaning the weight in the hilt shifts unpredictably making it difficult for someone without force sensitivity i.e minor precognitive insight to wield skillfully without cutting their own leg off...

I may be mis-remembering.

*Edit* Grievous's use being explained by a cybernetic rock solid grip to counter the motion.

Edited by Kraygh

I take it you Never saw the "Empire Strikes Back" when Han Solo Slices open a Ton-Ton on The Planet Hoth, and stuffs Luke' body in it so he'll stay warm.

Ya except he got floored when trying to fight Vader with one...Boba didn't think that one through apparently.

"Oh...i'll attack this dark lord of the sith with this lightsaber."

Not one of his bright moments.

I didn't say he was smart to do it, only that he had :D

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber

btw, the link on wookieepdia

It seems the Dark Lords of the Sith Empire were ultimately responsible for the advancement of lightsabers, replacing the belt-mounted power pack with a power cell within the hilt. An internal superconductor was introduced, which transferred the returning looped energy from the negative-charged flux aperture back into an internal power cell. With this modification, the power cell would only expend power when the energy loop was broken, such as when the lightsaber cut something, solving the power supply problem.

A lot of the danger and difficulty inherent in using lightsabers has been written out of EU continuity. It was mostly created as a balance factor in the old West End Game Star Wars tabletop RPG, I believe.

I do love a line regarding he difficulty of using lightsabers from Heir to the Empire, when Talon Karrde meets Luke Skywalker for the first time:

Luke: How did you know who I was?

Karrde: With a lightsaber clipped to your belt? Please, you're either Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight, or someone with a taste for antiques and an insufferably high opinion of his swordsmanship.